Equipment for Gaming/Music/Movies

Hello,

I’m was looking to get a better headset for gaming, music and movies and wanted some help from more informed people.

A few things to note about me:

• I live in Canada and spend majority of my time on my PC for work and play (Minimum 12 hours a day)
  • I play FPS/MMORPG marjority of the time for gaming.
  • Not sure if I fit more into competitive or casual gaming. Probably in the middle of the two.
  • Have a variety of music genres I listen to (depends on my mood): hip-hop, EDM, blues, pop, acoustic, rock
  • Currently using HyperX Cloud II’s for gaming/entertainment or use my bose earbuds when i’m not gaming.

I was looking to get a pair of open back headphones for better sound quality and just attaching a modmic to it.
After doing some research I narrowed down some headphones I like but honestly not sure what would be best for me:

Amazon Prices (Cad) :

• Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm ($270 + tax + shipping = $334)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm ($350 + tax + shipping = $394)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm ($289 + tax + shipping = $326)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO 250 ohm ($300 + tax + shipping = $338)
  • Audio-Technica AD700x ($256 + tax + shipping = $318)

I’m also looking to buy either a dac/amp or dac and amp stack but I’m not very informed on this stuff.
I’ve listed a few things I’ve looked at and was hoping for some help deciding what would be best in terms of price / quality for someone who’s new to this stuff. Or if anyone has other equipment they would recommend over what i’ve listed that helps a ton too.

• FiiO E10K USB dac/amp
  • Schiit Stack (Modi x Magni)
  • Mayflower Arc MK II
  • JDS Atom Amp + GSX1000

Overall cash I’d want to spend on the headphones + dac/amp would be around $600-650 (preferably). Any help is appreciated!

You are in exact position I was…I just purchased and will receive my DT 880 600 ohm from Thomannmusic.com…cost me ~$285-290 CAD (~4 days delivered). I am running a Topping E30 cost about $175 (about a month to get delievered from Ebay purchase) and Liquid Spark amp ~$170 (~3 days on amazon).

I will add that you need to either get a modmic or a USB mic of some sort to go with this setup.

Pretty much your exact price range.

Awesome! I actually did a bit more digging and found that the amps most recommended were the Liquid Spark and JDS Atom so I’ll be trying to find some reviews comparing the two. Would love to hear your experience once you get everything set up

I’m Canadian and I have a pretty budget oriented setup. I run a 58x,4xx,dt990 250 ohm, and a liquid spark , and topping d10 all gear I easily acquired here. For beyerdynamics we all generally aggreed that out if all the $100 amps the liquid spark is the best pairing due to its sound signature and how it affects the warmth and treble of Beyers. I would easily not recommend the e10k and just basically throw it off the list.

What music do you listen to and what games specifically do you play the most.

Thanks for the info. I listen to a variety of music, depends on my mood really. Lately I have been listening to more blues during the day and usually switch to some EDM/jpop/kpop at night while I game.

As for video games, I go through seasons of playing fps and mmorpg games. So the likes of call of duty, Destiny 2, valorant and then Elder Scrolls Online thrown in when I don’t feel like shooting stuff.

In that case I think the HD 58x off of drop would be pretty suitable great mids with a decent bass response for the the Edm. Really good imaging for games and soundstage In game is decent not as wide as the 990 or 880 but wide enough to help.

For the HD 58x’s, what amp and dac would you recommend for that? Or is Liquid spark still the better choice for amps?