ER4XR love. Don't overlook these

I recently lost my beloved Fischer DBA-02s, though I have a hunch they’ll eventually turn up. But who can resist the excuse to buy new gear? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I was determined to avoid giving money to Shenzhen, which left me with few good options. And I didn’t want to spend more than $200. The answer seemed to be the Etymotic ER4 series, and I opted for the XR. They arrived yesterday. $160.

And oh wow. A little while I go a tried some Moondrop Starfields and these are radically better. How so? Astonishing clarity. Much better treble. I know that’s what everyone says about Etys, but it’s true. How’s the bass? Fine. High quality. Fantastic for classical. That said, I just threw on some The Police, and yeah, the drums are just gorgeous. Rush? Sound great. Tom Sawyer lacks for nothing in the bass department. Mean, mean stride. Now listening to Sylvan Esso…bass is great.

Anyway, I realize these have been out for a few years, and that everyone’s smitten by the latest Chifi du jour. But they need to be on folks’ radar at least for anyone hunting at the $200 price point.

ps. There’s a Björk track called “Headphones” on the album “Post.” It’s as if she wrote it for Etymotic to give them an opportunity to show off.

pps. Listening now to Sibleius 5. Holy crap. Gorgeous. Esp. that powerful 3rd movement. These things have an effect wherein the sound isn’t coming from my ears but rather straight to the brain. It’s hard to describe but basically the IEMs become transparent.

5 Likes

I really like etymotics, the triple flange tips don’t make them the most comfortable and in my experience I thought they were hurt by the other tips.
But they really did convince me IEM’s were worth taking seriously.

The tips are an issue. I don’t get a good seal with the triple flanges, and the foam tips, it turns out, really irritate me ears. I hope I can work out a better solution. The sound really is great.

By the way, since no one’s asking :slight_smile: they work great off of my BTR5, which is critical given that that’s my on-the-go rig. At the moment I’ve got it plugged into my Asgard 3, on low gain. Sounds great. I don’t really perceive a difference between the BTR5 and the A3 other than that with the A3 I can easily play the music much louder than I care to or should.

1 Like

Follow up: My ears seem to have gotten use to the Ety foam tips, and I prefer them to either the triple or double-flanged silicon tips, which I found painful.

The bottom line is that if you get Etys, you may need to invest some time in experimenting with different tips…and you’ll have to be patient. But it’s worth it, for the sound is lovely.

Love my ER2XR. For me the tuning is perfect as it is. No need to eq. Might get the ER4XR at some point but for now the ER2XR are just fine.

I had some issues with the Etymotic triple flange as well. Large too big and small too small. Ended up getting some Shure triple flange and the small Shure triple flange are just right between the large and small Etymotic triple flange. For me a perfect fit.

1 Like

I’d love to try the ER2s to get a better sense of the DD vs. BA sound. Perhaps better timbre in exchange for less detail?

I would have to guess so… maybe some else has first hand experience.

My on-the-go rig. Great sound: amazing isolation, and I can take calls.