Everything SJY Audio

pad swaps could help I found ZMF universal suede pads to be more balanced sounding, and though it was a pain in the rear you can get some of the Brainwavez pads on these

1 Like

After letting my main setup warm up the whole day and using NOS mode on my Bifrost 2/64 with the Soloist in high gain it tamed them a little bit, but I will still try pad swapping when I get the chance.

1 Like

Any thoughts on Starry Night? I am debating on buying a pair from his website.

I missed the pre order so haven’t gotten one yet, was planning on waiting for reviews myself

If they really take HE6 power to drive them, they better be special!

Edit: For context I read a post just a little bit ago where someone said the starry nights were harder to drive than their HE6SEs. I think it was on HFG somewhere, but it might have been headfi. Either way, the Starry Nights would need to be damn good to be worth the trouble.

Edit 2: The post I’m referring to is in the Cayin IHA-6 thread.

1 Like

Wild 10 Ohm and seems to have pretty usual sensitivity they should be easy to drive…
I asked him to post his thoughts here, maybe others will trickle in soon

1 Like

Morning pep’s I love the Starry Night. It’s tougher to drive than Hifiman but just means buy Cayin iHA-6. The Hifiman EF400 does not have the gain to fully drive. Don’t get me wrong it sounds good but after 1 o’clock clipping sets in. The Cayin and Schiit Lokius and EF400 as complete system rocks out this headphone.

Best planar closed back imo. I’ve owned
LCD xc
ZMF T50 headphones which I forgot their names

I saw a good amount left to purchase.

Starry Night seems pretty neutral and it isn’t bass head can unless using eq and it still sounds correct. They are fun and not analytical. Truly warm headphone would be LCD 2

Cleaner than Sundara(still buy one) in clarity so more translucent. Detail spot on with holographic stage.

Now I’m still in begining of my listening.

3 Likes

Do you have any ideas or theories as to why it’s so difficult to drive when it’s impedance and sensitivity ratings would suggest it should be much easier than something like the HE6? I’m genuinely curious.

I’m glad you’re diggin’ them. They are certainly some gorgeous headphones!

is there a chance you got one of the defective EF400’s? I know from talking to others when I had mine there could be huge difference’s between each unit (I could hardly get past 9’oclock but others could get theirs above 12’oclock and still call it reasonable listening levels)

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. I think I will be okay when it comes to power since I have a Burson Soloist 3XP with the supercharger. If they are still available next paycheck, I will order a pair. All my current headphones are open back, so I kind of wanted to add his closed back headphone to my collection.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by these now and I’m thinking I’m gonna order a pair to see how they are. Even if they are as hard as ny HE6s to drive I have gear for that, but mostly they look like they could be a heck of a bargain if the sound good.

Also, at 10ohms and 92db/mW they won’t be the easiest headphones in the world to drive, but they shouldn’t be crazy difficult either. Though, with 10ohms impedance, using an amp with low output impedance is gonna be very important.

The Soloist 3XP 0.5 Ohm impedance on the headphone out. So I guess I am good? lol

Yup, that would be just fine. You just want it to be under an eighth of the headphone’s impedance rating. Planars are generally less effected by output impedance mismatches than some other transducers because they have a much more flat impedance curve, but I still find the effects noticeable with planars I have used so I stick to the rule of eighths.

1 Like

Number 44 is one of the ones I am eyeing. I guess I will see what is still available at the time. 0044

I’m liking 006 and 028, but I just sent an email to ask if they’d be willing to take one cup off a set and match it with one from a different set. I offered to pay more for it of course, but if they won’t then I’ll just buy one. I haven’t finished looking through them all yet, though.

1 Like

do I need one no, do I want one yes, will I get one maybe :joy:

2 Likes

I think the fact that they are limited weighs heavy on that decision. lol

I was at the same place, but now I’m sure I’ll get one. Just waiting to see what they say about the cup matching I asked about.

It’ll be nice to test these against the Verums my girl got me for Christmas. I had to send them back because they got trashed in shipping, but a new pair is already on its way.

well he did say he would likely be making more which seems true considering he has them listed on the website now after the kickstarter finished

1 Like

Definitely an interesting listen, brighter than I thought they would be and not at all easy to drive.

4 Likes