Everything SJY Audio

I like the idea of having a matching open back to pair with the closed back. If the Starry Nights sound like what I’m reading, then I’ll probably end up trying the open back version too.

You already have an SN V2 driver design, huh? Mind sharing details on what you tried to improve over the V1?

The V2.0 driver have a more refined design and improved the making and assembly process. It will drastically reduce the amount of time needed to make it. Sound wise, not much is changed.
Maybe a huge change in V3.0 which is in CAD files right now.

2 Likes

Also there is a mod going on for the starry night.
If you are interested.

2 Likes

I will keep the mod in mind for once I get a chance to try my Starry Nights. As of right now they are waiting for me at home unopened until I fly back for my birthday in a couple weeks and then I’ll get to give them a listen.

Another question if you don’t mind. I have seen some mentions of the Starry Nights requiring similar amplification to headphones like the Hifiman HE6 which is very hard to drive as I’m sure you know. Have you found them that difficult to drive and what amplification do you general use them with yourself?

I mainly use THX789 on high gain, and it works great. A lot of people say you will need a speaker amp, but I didn’t find it necessary. Unless the 789 have some magic going on.

2 Likes

Good to know. Based on the quoted 10ohms and 92db/mW I didn’t think it would need a speaker amp either, but I figured I would ask while I have the designer himself available. It’s not everyday you get to ask questions of the designer of your headphones.

So along those lines, do you use the Starry Nights as your primary headphones? Do you have a favorite musical genre or musical artist to listen to with them? Last, but not least, what DAC are you pairing with the THX for driving the Starry Nights?

Thanks for answering my questions, BTW. I think it’s great when headphone/audio companies and designers engage with the community. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use the Starry Night when I really want to listen to music, other times I just use a kph30i. :sweat_smile:

My favorite song to listen and test headphone is

“Even Heaven” by Aimer
“After Rain” by Aimer
“Yako Ressha” by Aimer

“Spirits of the sea” and “Orion” by Kenshi Yonezu

Give it a listen,
These songs are crazy good when the headphone have good imaging. These song a really well composed and beautiful.

I’m using the Massdrop sDac, it’s a cheap dac that does the job and sounds comparable to others. It better to test headphone with affordable gears, because not everyone will have a $2k dac and amp

3 Likes

Thanks for the music recs! I’ve gotta crash and get some sleep while I can, but it has been great talking to you. Hopefully we can discuss more in the future, but just in case we don’t I wish you and your company the best and I’ll definitely be watching it grow and supporting when and as I can. :+1::metal::sunglasses:

1 Like

A man of culture I see :joy: aimer does have a great voice ran into her lately after adding some anime endings to my playlist

Haha, I listened to Aimer way before I even know that she was making anime opening. Most of her song is solo albums. Her song are just so good

1 Like

Finally got the chance to put them on my head, lol. I have a three day weekend so I will go through my library during that time. Listening to Love Goes: Live at Abbey Road Studios (Sam Smith) at the moment, and so far I like what I am hearing. It is kind of funny since I am normally not the biggest fan of closed back headphones.

Since it is late I have my Soloist 3XP on high gain but at 15% volume. Starry Night does require a little more power than my other headphones, but it gets plenty loud at 30% plus. It all depends on the track as some need a little extra to hear them clearly (normally older recordings). I will post an update once I spend some more time with them.

2 Likes

I clocked a few hours with Starry Night thus far. The music I find myself enjoying the most through them have been live recordings (well recorded ones), and acoustic tracks. Piano, and Guitar as well as other stringed instruments all play back beautifully through these headphones. The sound stage has decent depth and width for closed back headphones. It also has great imaging and detail retrieval, not as much as Arya, but I was not expecting it to lol. While this is not a bass heavy headphone it can reproduce bass well when you have a track that calls for it, decent slam as well (example would be Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone - The Black Crowes cover on Amazon Music)

I find some tracks to be more enjoyable on Starry Night than my Arya SE though so that surprised me. Lonely River (live at Abbey Road Studios) by Kyan being one of them. I also listened to Aimer’s Kataomoi from The First Take recording, and that really shined as well.

There are plenty of tracks I listened to ranging from Metal to The Blues, but just like with the Arya these headphones do not hid any imperfections in the track. I do agree with Z that it doesn’t sound as harsh as some other headphones when playing back a recording with imperfections.

Most of my listening was done through: AMHD>WiiM Mini>Bifrost 2/64>Burson Soloist 3XP (with supercharger). I also used a custom cable I got off etsy terminated with a 4pin xlr connection. Hifiman Sundara / Ananda / Arya / DEVA PRO / Etc & Denon D9200 - Etsy

I will edit this post if anything else comes to mind, but I am enjoying Starry Night over all. Granted I am a sucker for headphones with great acoustic reproduction, lol.

02/17/2023 update:
I added my Topping L70 into the chain to act as a pre amp, and I set the Soloist in power amp mode. I only just started listening to it in this configuration, so I will let you guys know if it is an improvement or not. Starting out with the same live album again :grin:

3 Likes

Just so you know, the Soloist is more powerful than the A100. If it’s damping the highs, it’s the pathetically low dynamic range.

Also, if you’re listening at 80 volume on high gain on the Soloist, your volume somewhere else isn’t at max or you’re legally deaf and that’s not debatable. The HE6se v2 is deafeningly loud at 80 on high gain and are almost 10 times as hard to drive from a wattage standpoint and still harder to drive from a current standpoint. The A100 puts out less current, voltage, and wattage than a Soloist.

Wouldn’t the A100 put out more power than the Soloist when you set the jumper for direct drive mode? 12 watts /ch into 33 ohms vs Soloist 4 watts /ch into 32 ohms for example. I agree than the Soloist is plenty powerful, but I don’t see how it is more powerful than that. Granted I have seen independent measurements of the Soloist claiming that it is peaking in the 18 watts /ch area into 16 ohms or so.

The Soloist measures at 15.5w into 64ohm, despite their advertised specs. With a supercharger it was able to sustain 31.5vrms with peaks over 70v at 64ohm. It does about 28 watts at 32 ohm. Go down that rough doubling of wattage at each halving of impedance and you wind up with some ludicrously high power figures but current limitations do stack up fairly quickly. The A100 doesn’t even make 50 watts at 8 ohm. Burson drastically undersold their power figures but even then, point being, just because the A100 is a speaker amp, doesn’t necessarily mean it has any real power or even decent dynamic range. The Soloist handles hard to drive headphones better than the A100, it’s not even a close fight, and the Soloist isn’t even all that great compared to speaker amps that are actually capable. I haven’t tried Emotivas newer high current amps, but every single other amp I’ve tried from them was pretty trash with the HE6 and any moderately resolving headphone outclasses the amount of resolution any Emotiva amp can accomplish. The numbers always matter until they don’t.

Lol, okay I will keep using my Soloist 3XP for the foreseeable future. :grin:

First I’ve seen these figures but whatever works for you is cool. I have everything in hand and to me both the burson and the A100 work very well with the starry night, i just prefer the sound of the emotiva apparently.

2 Likes

I had an audiophile friend of mine head over to my house to give the Starry Nights a run. He had access to my two Parasound speaker amps (Halo JC5 and Halo A 21+), HeadAmp GT-X Mini, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, Burson Timekeeper 3i (headphone out and speaker taps), amongst others. He reported back that while the SNs do indeed like some power, they aren’t HE6 level power hungry and that headphone amps with some muscle behind them like the GS-X Mini and the Oor had absolutely no problem driving them with plenty of room to spare. He also said that they didn’t gain anything in scalability in his opinion by running them off the speaker amps either.

That said, I don’t find it surprising that @Etroze86 prefers the tone off his A100 because this is a subjective hobby after all. I was just more happy to know that I didn’t have another headphone that I needed to run off a speaker amp when I want to listen to them because I do find that to be annoying sometimes with my HE6/HE6SE.

Hey @Etroze86 , are you still diggin’ the Starry Nights as much as you have been or what? Now that you’ve had a little more time with them I’m interested to hear for sure.

1 Like

Definitely digging them, I actually have some cotton batting that I’m going to put in the cups to see if I can dull down some of the reflections. I’ll also revisit the burson and make sure I had my source turned up but on power amp mode it did do very well. My best guess is I was listening in the morning on the burson and my ears were just a bit more sensitive to the T and S ranges. Gotta see if I can repeat what I heard lol.

2 Likes

Well couldn’t get it to make a stand out difference from what I observed before but I did do the cotton mod and that smoothed out the T/S ranges. There is still some sibilance but it’s definitely not as bad now.

4 Likes