Experiencing Planar Magnetic

It does, it seems to be able to handle a good boost in the bass without distortion as long as the power is there.

1 Like

@fxxr Some good info here for you. I bought 4xx first and now have the Sundara. No contest. Sundara is better all around, so add my vote to that list.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. Very useful feedback. I’ll let you know when I get something :smiley:

Sundara is setting the bar high as I love the 4xx already. I can’t wait to try it out.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help!
I bought the Sundaras today :slight_smile:
Should have them on Monday.

7 Likes

@fxxr Congrats. Welcome to the club. PS Love mine!!

1 Like

Got T40RP as my first planar. If I can put it in one word vs. my dynamic phones, it would be “smooth”. And bass is impressive.

what would be a good planar headphone to run with a FiiO m5? i still have all the basic gear.

What’s your budget? There aren’t exactly many planars considered good that is easy to drive. Your options are the deva, the Penrose, mobius, and panda.

its not a big budget but probably up to $300 at max

edit - nvm…saw the post was pre-rage quit.

hey GB! firstly, welcome to hFG!

second…consider upgrading your stack so you can power future headphones properly. on the Buy & Sell thread someone has a Magni 3 and Modi 3 stack for $125, which is a screaming deal to start out solid.

then, save up a bit and get the Sundara, or if you’re super impatient, look for a used HE-4xx. :slight_smile:

Yeah! that might be a good idea! Ill look at the thread and see what i can do! Thanks for the information!

1 Like

my pleasure!

alternatively, you could look for an iFi Zen DAC. they just released a v2, but you should be able to find a used one for close to $100 as well. these have a warmer sound that many define as ‘fun’ and has the benefit of having a balanced 4.4mm pentacon output as well the standard quarter inch single ended. I love mine!

If you can push $350 or are ok with used, the Sundara is a fantastic choice.

I’ve enjoyed listening to them for almost a year now and haven’t heard anything better in that price range.
I’m not using them as much these days, but that’s only because I got myself a pair of E-MU Teaks :slight_smile:

As far as dac/amps are concerned, any decent hardware will do. I’ve used Magni 3+, Hel, BTR5, XD-05 BAL and they sound great with all of them. If you do the BTR5 route though, plan to get balanced cables, so you can take advantage of the extra power.

3 Likes

@Grado_Boi I would add the Asgard 3 to @fxxr 's suggestions!

3 Likes

I might get the zen dac when i have the money. I do need an equipment upgrade!