(update in progress) Falenkor's Competitive Headphone Write Up. Now with added Hardware explanations!

Yeah, like that. Alright whenever I get back I will go ahead and do some tweaks.

1 Like

I have a question about swapping pads, specifically on the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Most aftermarket pads I’ve found (e.g. Dekoni Elite) have a back membrane/covering. On the 880s (and similar models I’m sure), Beyerdynamic includes a pad that’s held in the ear cup. When switching pads, would you remove the Beyerdynamic pad, cut out the new pad’s membrane, or just double up?

I just leave it and double up. Doesn’t sound to bad to my hearing. Granted that the lesser dt series is pretty picky on which pads will destroy the sound and which don’t. I haven’t had any issues really with my elite velours. In most cases from my experience the extra membrane will dial in the treble a bit more which can be useful for a beyerdynamic headphone. You could, of course, remove the beyer pad or cut them out if you feel it’s causing some issues.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my stock DT 880 pads ripped a bit when I was re-installing them, so now it’s a question of buying new stock Beyer pads, or going with something like the Dekoni Elite velour (where I’m leaning).

Both are nice to have, especially if you plan to upgrade to like a 1990 later when it comes to the dekonis. In the case of the dekonis they are thicker and more firm unlike the very soft and breathable dt pads. I haven’t personally tested the elite velours on the 880 but I would think it should respond just fine. Had a couple people tell me that velours work well, suede is good as it balances out the sound more, and sheepskin apparently reigns back the treble but increases bass. So it’s apparently relatively flexible in its sound. Just picky

1 Like

Dekoni Elite velours are at least really comfortable… to my head at least. I use them with the DT1990s, where, in sound terms. they’re “in between” the two sets of pads that come with the headphones. I still use a passive filter from DIY-audioheaven to tame the treble peak though. I got nothin’ on the DT880s except… yeah they’re comfortable!

Have said this about these pads on several occasions in this write up as well Good pads.

I suppose its an option to enjoy the headphone more if you are more sensitive to it.

1 Like

Or EQ. I listen to enough hard media (“physical product”?) and also sadly too often in an apple environment… (you can’t make me say ecosystem! I refuse to say… d’ohh) for APOS EQ… .

Of course if you’re not bothered by the peak, then the whole problem goes away and you’re left with some killer headphones! just making the point that pads alone might not be enough of an adjustment for lots of people.

I mean, yeah you can also do that as well. Many ways to tame it down to be more comfortable which is nice. Though, I am someone personally who is a little biased towards the brighter spectrum of headphones and can sit with the T90 without issues as well as the DT 990 so I don’t really have any issues with it… However, I will definitely call sibilance out if I hear it. In the 1990s case while it’s definitely bright it mainly just depended on the recording itself I found that may lead to some sibilance, or rather just much sharper sounds from the treble. I do think that the filter cable can really help someone become much more comfortable with the dt 1990s in that regard without destroying the sound it’s also generally cheaper than buying new pads.

I still have a very wide variety of sounds I really appreciate though granted, due to my inexperience, my explainations of a more thorough variety and terminologies are fairly lacking. Personally though I think if you like the 1990 but don’t like how aggressive it is to just go grab the T1 instead. It’s so much more relaxing of a headphone.

1 Like

I would love to try the T1s. I do love the “aggressive” sound of the 1990s in general though. Just can use some help with the specific peakiness. I haven’t tried a lot of the Beyerdynamics, like you have. Just a couple. (DT177x being the other)

Well, 1990s are just very aggressive extremely analytical. The T1 though… well… okay so pretty much take the balanced pads on the DT 1990 take that sound now bring up the mids much more into the mix. Widen the soundstage and angle the drivers. Relax the sound push it back a bit and Lose just a small amount of clarity to the sound. Roll off some of the bass extensions. add warmth to the vocals. Take that treble dip from the 1990s and get rid of it now smooth it out without such extreme peaks. Upper mids will be the roll off point going into the treble and may be seen as recessed going into the lower treble. Add detail across the board like the 1990 with the mids more in the mix but also take the treble’s sparkle and add more detail the sound. That would be the T1.

Then lastly, change the cable plug to be able to be balanced to a damn liquid platinum making it sound even more open and warm. It’s a very relaxing, fun, bright headphone with just an incredible sound if you can stand treble.

1 Like

So, I picked up a copy of the new cooler masters MH630 cause I wanted to plug to my amps. I have to say… my thoughts on it initially were pretty spot on. It’s definitely not bad though I contemplate whether to put it on this list… I think this would be a more all rounder it’s a hell of a lot bassier than the mh751 but I absolutely love those clothy pads it has on it very breathable for a closed back and very welcome. The equalizer software allows you to dial out the bass enough making it just fine in competitive but its innate tuning is very relaxed and fun. Not bad at all kudos cooler master another great headset. Mic quality is a little iffy though and build quality is a bit on the plasticy side I suppose this is fine for a gaming headset but as far as mic quality goes… I have heard better from my pc37x its a bit compressed but not bad.

Current next gaming headset audition is the brand new CREATIVE SXFI GAMER headset that boasts big claims on being the “best” in sound for fps gamers and what not… I have heard some reviews and so far I am impressed with the mic quality and the like… though I won’t know for a while if this truly can hold a candle in fps

Gamed few hours with these yesterday and… bullets never sounded so good.
I was distracted how nice the fly-by and ricochet bullets sounded…and then i died. Multiple times. :smiley:
Plus everything else also sounded very gooood. Sounstage was not the widest possible but still enough.
Might use these more often with games when mic is not needed than i ever thought.

The focals really are something special for sound. I have been meaning to grab the clears for a little while now after being able to audition them.

Elex is one of those that while, I want to audition, doesn’t seem to be any way to do so. Though I have tried the other focals of elear, elegia, clear, and listen pro. I think I have a sort of general idea of how the elex is however, I go by what others tell me on that one. It’s one of those headphones that I may or may not purchase in the near future though.

Wanted to add a note in the thread with an interesting signal chain that I find amazing for gaming.

Modius > gs-x mini > aeon2 closed

I found excellent rendering with verticality and extremely accurate placement. It’s really wild because the modius is lightly rolled in the highs but retains detail and the mini is neutral warm. This should not result in what I’m hearing in the aeon2, but wow was it game changing (pun intended). I actually have been more confident in modern warfare and feel like it’s almost cheating (I’ve heard this from dt1990 users). I’ve been able to put some really crazy kill streaks (for me this is not super common) together and pull off some wins by calling enemy positions by just using audio. While I’ve been able to do this in the past, this current setup is WAY easier to hear.

I actually hooked the modius up this way out if latency concerns with the bifrost. I have no idea if those are grounded in reality but I do thing the modius is much better suited for gaming. An amp like the gsx mini has no business in a “gaming” setup but I’ll be doing some testing with the rnhp and see if it’s comparable in any way. I’ve found in general it’s not as open as the mini which in these scenarios has made a big difference imo.

The aeon2 have always felt quite good for gaming, this just pushes them further into the arena for me. They render enough detail without being distracting and have enough stage to keep from feeling boxed in. The 360 rendering I’m experiencing with these really impressed me and I’m hoping it’s possible to get the same performance on another chain with these cans.

1 Like

To my knowledge and experience so far it appears that Aeons in general have a good sound for gaming even in competitive though they are a fantastic all rounder headphone with good vertical capabilities in their sound. However, GS-X Mini is quite the expensive amp I don’t think many gamers are willing to pay upwards of $1,700+ range for the amplifier. If anything your typical gamer would be more inclined to pay like maybe $100 less they were an audiophile and even then they’d likely stop at something like an RNHP, Liquid Plat, etc in the $400 range at maximum.

I Found the same factor in terms of the vericality coming into play upon plugging them into the Liquid platinum though perhaps not as accurate as your hearing. Though I do feel the aeons will lose out in terms of soundstage placement in larger fps such as Tarkov which is where headphones like the 1990 truely shine.

In terms of recommending the Aeons I would probably recommend someone the Open-X for first time user getting into the headphone as the open-x has more neutrality to it’s sound while having some brightness called Harman Curve V type of signature. The RT variations are tuned more towards the V signature with the RT open having more bass than open - x. Aeon 2 opens have even more neutrality and relaxing sound than the others so I am not sure if I can recommend them, again going off what people have said, though from the sounds of it Aeon 2 Closed is a damn monster for a closed back in terms of detail and resolution. However I will say that Aeon 2 Closed still has that bass presence unless you dial that in you could struggle in larger fps to face off against something as insanely accurate as a 1990.

I still love the headphone though. It’s easily one of my favorites and I feel it is so unique in tuning, design, and overall luxury comfort. I would have a hard time doing away with it. I play competitive with both my 1990 and Aeon Open X both are great but in the more expansive games like tarkov, arma, planetside, etc I felt the 1990 has quite the edge

They are good, however dwarfed by the likes of focal clears or or lcd-x. I would say the 4xx actually resolve a bit better because their frequency response doesn’t extend nearly as deep. They do however scale, like insanely well. They’re a gem.

I totally agree that the mini is by no means a gamer amp. Like zero chance that would be on the table just for gaming. But I just wanted to share what I found.

Also agree that for the money, for gaming, the aeon X is a steal and a very special headphone indeed. I honestly like how it looks better than 2. Probably driven by a stack closer to a modius/asgard3.

1 Like

To my knowledge, it seems the aeon performs better when it’s balanced but at the same time it does incredibly well when it’s a balanced tube hybrid. Though I do not believe there to be a strong option for a budget tube hybrid under the $400 range that offers good enough spacial recreation and the like.

At the same time I am unaware of any sort of combination setup that allows a good balanced port in the $100 range. The only one I know of is the combo unit IFI ZEN DAC but it’s not the greatest for sure. I have been hoping that Schiit would develop something like a balanced pairing for the modius or a budget balanced tube hybrid. Straight tube amps and planars just don’t mix, or so I have come to believe. Hell, I would like any of the companies to develop some better budget options for balanced and hybrids

Can’t speak on the lcd-x but yeah clears are just really good headphones. Albeit extremely expensive. In terms of gaming though for that price range I would just point someone to the HD800S. Probably like the absolute best your going to get in terms of competitive gaming.

That’s a headphone I never bothered to actually sit down with. I have heard good things on it though but it sounds like a hit or miss crowd sort of deal.

1 Like

True, I wonder how a modius/erish stack would fare

As a gamer/audiophile I understand the want for better headphones but “competitive” is not a word I would ever use to describe headphones. I mean I remember getting to diamond 3 in league and master guardian 2 in csgo in college with just $20 earphones and a $10 mic. Sure I love my ndh 20 and audeze lcd1 to death but for gaming, any headset will do.