Headphone up to 1000Euros (From DT770)

Alright very fair points and I guess just because they are big planars that does not automatically mean nice bass slam.

I’m all about the Audezes but im also all music. Much like you I started with dt 770 80 ohm used …then refreshed pads, bought a new amp, then dac…10 sets of cans later the Audeze LCD 2 CB. I love them Period.

Yea i mean it has some punch but doesn’t extend deep. I just did some a/b testing between the two, and it made me like the m570 a bit more haha. I was listening to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfADOlstwc
And the first 30 seconds are so much crisper on the m570 compared to the dt770. Once the bass comes in, I like the dt770 slightly more, however once the song starts mixing in high pitched sounds, the dt770 sounds muddy in comparison to the m570. I think I would really like the m1070 and 1570, however quality concerns leave me hesitant about them. Also I have been eager to try a pair of LCDs, because they may be up my alley. However I do like a touch of treble sparkle, and those may lack in that area.

1 Like

Can you share a little bit more about your journey? Like what qualities where you after that finally led you to the Audezes? Do you feel like it was important to try the 10 headphones before ending up here? I am seriously thinking about some LCD 2 C or the closed back but I am afraid I might be lacking experience to make the decision.

Hey thanks for bringing this little a/b testing up I really appreciate such a deep down analysis. And I have noticed the 770 sound a little muddy in situations like these even on its own but I also suspect audio quality.

Yes I am really keen on trying LCD 2 C myself and while I also like a touch of treble sparkle I hear that these take EQ well and I wouldn’t be that afraid of how it turns out.

While if it was the opposite and they lacked more in the bass area then the treble I would be more worried. I also like how everyone agrees that they are not fatiguing. However I am not sure about their imaging capabilities

I mean its not cheap…but yeah worth it. I did it way too fast and was/ am getting used stuff off ebay and head-fi…i drunkenly ordered an open box set of tygrs reading this forum one night but the rest is used.

My use case sounds a bit different…I was listening to my spotify playlist while at my computer a while ago and it kinda clicked that as I listen to music so frequently why not figure out some solid gear…then i found reviews …zeos…that led me to dacs and amps and cans vs iems and now here we are. Never really game. @Falenkor has a nice write up bout some solid gamers here:

I really dig the soundstage and imagining of the Audezes- relatively wide and detailed. Big step up from Meze 99 and DT 770s in those regards.
In terms of bass, they also are exactly where I want them…Its true my Argons thump but l feel I get a more complete package with these with most music and the bass isnt at all what Id call weak or lacking.

Hmm? oh, yeah I wrote that up but I will be having to sit back down and rewrite a lot of it… I asked for some help due to my inexperience with the proper terminologies and explainations. I will probably cut a lot of the long reading out and make that post look better. For now it should suffice but I think some better explainations on there are needed… otherwise someone may think the audeze mobius is better than a DT 880 lol. Take it as a regular write up for good headphones and feel free to ask questions. Definitely not the gospel or anything. However, thats for competitive gamers… not casual… I would have completely different recommendations for a casual gamer wanting bass. Like Emu Teak for a V signature maybe the Argons or Fostex TR-x00 from massdrop

I think part of the issue for gamers is they want both in one. I got the ad900x as my first real headphones because I was aiming at “competitive gaming”. However I found them boring because they lacked the bass(also I think imaging sucks on them compared to most things I’ve tried since).

For the most part funner sounding v shaped or bassy headphones start losing the clarity that brighter headphones have, making them worse for those footsteps haha. So honestly it seems you need two headphones in this kind of situation.

The only think I wonder is how come you finally decided for a closed back headphone? Is it that you prefer the sound of closed headphones or just for the isolation/sound leak?

I was never a big fan of the ad series I agree it lacked a lot of bass and just sounded dull. I don’t really think the imaging was bad per say just that it could’ve been better… all those big issues with it I found fixed mostly on the ad1000x but by then you have so many other alternatives ya know?

In general yeah, I tend to try to tell people if they want both gaming styles perhaps 2 headphones would be ideal if you want the best competitive experience. Though granted you can play competitively with any headphone even the bassy kind… in tournaments we don’t use those open backs with huge soundstages and the like lol. Your limited to the closed back and in some cases the iems so everyones at a even playing field.

So, one of the things I will tell people for this if they want both is that you can do this it just becomes a little complicated with reasons being what youll see for the ideal sound I wrote out in that write up. Generally speaking you could still use something with a little more bass like just pulling off the top of my head the Audio Technica M40x while still a bit of a V signature it’s not a big one still closer to neutral so you can still do well in competitive while enjoying some of that bass presence. Is it the most ideal? no of course not but its still more enjoyable. I tend to refer to those kinds of headphones as an “All-Rounder” as I see them good for both competitive and casual. One of my favorites that I maintain in my collection for that very reason is the Aeons as they are a very Subtle V signature with tuning pads to switch things around feel like a closed back despite being open and man are they nice sounding.

I would think thats the case. Some people prefer isolation or live in noisier environments. Other times I hear sometimes people just prefer having the sound centered to their head instead of a surrounding like environment like open backs tend to provide while closed backs tend to offer more bass as well.

Hey @Falenkor so since you visited do you have any recommendations in the sub1000 range? Please have a quick glance at the OP for specifics if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Sure give me just a minute to dig through it and see if I can think of anything.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hmm, I might have some but I would have to ask. You bring up movies. Do you need isolation? Are you okay with the brightness for movies? I see brightness as something that may be a bit on the discomfort side. It sounds like you like some brightness but its hard to gauge how much you like

10 month old in apartment…

2 Likes

I do not need isolation.Like I can control the environment to the point where an occasional dog might be heard or the sound of the AC. But since I do not have experience with opens, if you believe that there is added immersion or benefit from the feeling of a closed than ok, whatever is best.

I am ok with brightness but I would prefer to be sure that it wont be a problem. Like if you have experience with the DT770 80 ohm I do seem to get fatigued sometimes by it and notice some siblance. So brightness ok if it is smooth or tameable with EQ.

EDIT: Everyday usability is key here so they should be relaxed enough. Also don’t forget that I am open to using two headphones to maybe fill out every scenario better. Or maybe you could propose that I make a sacrifice somewhere to achieve a great overall solution. I am open to talking about it :slight_smile:

So, I was say if you want a brighter headphone thats smoothed out and detailed but not so much in the terms of sibilance especially when you mention it being more relaxed…

I would point straight at the T1.2. Seems to check most of the boxes here my only worry is that it may be a bit too bright for you. You can of course equalize it back but it’s noticeably bright yet smooth and relaxed. Semi open back.

Argons probably have some of the best low end I have heard alongside a wide sound stage… pads can change the argons pretty nicely too so you can increase the treble or mids if you wanted too. Semi open backed has an alternative bassier T60RP variation

If you needed a closed back with brightness… probably point you towards I wanna say 177x GO or perhaps a 1770. 177x go is more refined and tuned more towards neutral bass and treble are raised still but mids aren’t recessed to my hearing sounds larger than the dt 770 and definitely not as sibilant its nice but also will change based on your pad choice. 1770 is the step up from 770s honestly when I tried it… I think I would say it sounds closer to like a W signature as the bass was noticeably raised mids sounded a bit raised as well alongside the treble but in the upper bass/ lower mids and upper mids / lower treble it sounds like theres a bit of a dip. Keep in mind though that beyers are normally not relaxed.

Aeons RT/Open X/ 2: Subtle V if closed back you gain more bass if open back its more neutral with Subtle V signature tones to it. Tuning pads change the sound. relatively wide sounding regardless of open or closed but the open has the big soundstage with quite a bit of depth. Tuning pads can add more low end. Responds incredibly well to hybrid tube amps like Liquid Platinum and will increase the bass further, offer better spacial recreation, better detail, and add a touch more warmth to the mids. The saying for the open back is “feels closed but sounds open” is accurate as it offers quite a bit of isolation behind those around an inch thick sheepskin pads. Great for large ears. Build just screams luxury. Planar slam and speed. Probably one of my all time favorite headphones for I can throw anything at this headphone and make it sound great.

EMU Teak: So, I can’t really speak much on this you’d have to inquire about others on this one. Excellent soundstage that rivals open headphones but with the thick sound of closed headphones, incredibly detailed and smooth highs, natural timber with a balanced tuning from the heavens, great imaging and excellent layering, endgame deep bass control/speed and punch that never intrudes or fails to impress, smooth detailed midrange, non-fatigueing sound for those used to highs, build quality. just copy pasted one of the many reviews… take that guy gushing with a grain of salt if you will please…

Audeze LCD-X another that I haven’t tried but may fit here. may need to look into this one but may also fit this critera well due to the things I have heard involving it. though this one is definitely expensive and potentially at the maximum of your price range.

Still thinking but with so much search criteria thats a tough one

1 Like

The name of the Clears drive me mad. You almost can’t describe those headphones without using their name and you feel like a shill while doing it. lol. Doesn’t the clears have good sub bass? I only got to spend a short time with them but I vaguely remember them having slightly less bass than I would like but seeming flat way down low. Certainly not the 770 rumble but quick and textured all the way down.

1 Like

I sat there thinking… alright so what brands really have this kind of sound? lol. Not to many honestly Beyer is very aggressive outside of a select few and they make very bright headphones T1 was a special exception its very relaxed… Audeze make dark headphones outside of a special exception over there and maybe the LCD-1. Sennheisers don’t have that soundstage you may want but are nice just not bright less you consider HD800S but its outside your range. AKG not much experience but not bassy enough. Audio technica again not much experience generally not bassy enough. Philips? Fidelio x2HR is nice but I wouldn’t say it has a whole lot of detail its just a very fun headphone. Shp9500 doesnt alot of bass. Focals are nice yet expensive but they are anything but bassy. The only bassy focal I tried really was the Listen Pro and that was a crazy headphone lol definite W signature. Dan Clark makes the aeons but ethers I wouldn’t really say are all too relaxed honestly never was a big fan and they fall outside of the price anyway. Then you have KOSS which I have zero experience with electrostatic drivers so youd have to ask on that one. Meze are nice but they have a moderate level of soundstage… but very luxury build to them… they are nice but I wouldn’t say they have brightness or a big old surrounding soundstage. Hifiman are generally neutral bright not enough bass quality control issues… they are nice… but I wouldn’t say they are good for movies really

Very nice post thank you so much you have brought some great recommendations. Unfortunately I think most of these are actually not available in Europe :frowning: .

Shame really as I Instantly liked the Aeons and of course the guy praising the EMU Teak lol :stuck_out_tongue: .

I heavily consider the T1.2 do you happen to have an opinion on its bass impact and its imaging? Also similarly I am interested in the t5p if you happen to know anything about it. Especially since 177x is for sure not available and I am too scared of the 1770 treble rumors

This seems to be true and honestly I am really considering the T1 or the T5p form beyer.

Currently I am leaning towards this side because if you think about it. I want to take the 770( which is V shaped )and I want better mids with smoother treble while keeping the bass. This sound like either a neutral or a dark or slight v signature doesnt it?

No one said that resolution isn’t there on the Audezes so I am not afraid of them not having nice detail. Just the highs are going to be dark. Hmmm if it can be solved at least a little with EQ (If I dont like it ) its probably the better sacrifice to make for me.

Just need to make sure the soundstage/imaging feel suits me right and if the bass claims are true for something like the LCD 2 C. Or do I need to go for a closed to get nice bass?

Then I am kind of thinking about the focals as well for a more neutral headphone but it is going to be a risk if they are not bassy…

1 Like