Fascinated By these "No earcup headphones"

Was browsing through reddit and found this post:

The tech and power requirements seem fascinating (the one in the middle requires like 150w per channel!)
I want to try them out.

Edit: Holy crud these are expensive.

1 Like

They are pretty great. I especially like the raal (and was considering buying the raals but I decided that I would wait for the next generation (if there is one)

The myspheres are a better version of the k1000 imo.

All are notoriously hard to power lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I would assume they would require their own dedicated amp, like electrostats.
What’s the soundstage and imaging on the Raals like?

You need a speaker amp for all of them tbh. The raals are pretty crazy, with the presentation changing depending on how you orient them. They are much more speaker like in presentation then most headphones. Very very detailed

2 Likes

There’s an audiofest thing in Toronto next month. I wonder if they’ll be there.

If you get the chance to listen to them (especially the raals) definitely try them :+1:

I’ve heard all three on separate occasions and personally speaking I don’t think the myspheres are in the same hemisphere when it comes to sound, staging and presentation, frankly, they’re lackluster (imho). For context I heard the “bassy k1000s” afaik, off a pre production masskobo amp, and the raal at canjam London.

The raal’s are probably technically superior to the k1000, most likely in every way possible but I prefer the way k1000s handled soundstage.

Eitherway, I can’t decide on a pair before hearing the kdp1 another “headphone with no earcup” (kinda).

What mysphere did you hear? I liked the 3.2 alot more then the 3.1

No idea, I heard them on various occasions, most recently at canjam London 2019, I keep giving them second chances because I know the lore but they keep disappointing me.

Uh do you know the impedance? The 3.1 was the 15 ohm and the 3.2 are like 110 I think

… If I didn’t know the model number how would I know the impedance…

IDK 🤷 just asking⠀⠀⠀

I tried the mysphere’s at London canjam. Those most uncomfortable things I’ve ever tried in my opinion. I couldn’t even listen to them for 10 seconds because they just didn’t fit on my head. You need the right shape, especially being as I have a very average sized head.

Yeah, that was another aspect. I really liked the raals but found that they push on my head in a way that gives me a headache. But the myspeheres weren’t that bad, but I would say that having the correct head shape is probably important

1 Like

This is kind of a dead thread, but given that there’s no official Post for the Raal’s yet, this seems like a good place to put this
schiit has made a dedicated amp for the Raal’s.

Lemme fix that lol

1 Like

site link https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-r