Favorite Gear you own

Compared to the Eikon, it is definitely more V shaped. Overall I would say they are ever so slightly U shaped with a mid bass hump and some sizzle up top around 7 to 10 K. The mid bass hump can be almost eliminated with the Suede Ori pads…but I bought the Atticus for the fun.

I am interested in the LCD-X as well, but the Focal Clear and ZMF Auteur are the 2 leading the pack for my next purchase some time later this year.

3 Likes

@Hazi59 @Towa you guys pair the zmf’s with the rnhp?

I do and it is a really nice pairing. Actually, there isn’t anything I own yet that sounds bad on the RNHP.

3 Likes

Yes I’m listening to the Eikon right now through the RNHP, actually I prefer it on the rnhp over my darkvoice surprisingly… probably has to do with the low quality nature of the DV and my tube choice, seems they need a higher tier tube amp to really shine. looking at a haggerman tuba as a potential upgrade soon.

And I agree with @Hazi59 nothing I have paired with it has sounded bad.

2 Likes

Personally I prefer the eikon on solid state amps for greater control and slam over the biodyna

3 Likes

I feel that way about the Atticus, but more so because I don’t want the mid bass to get out of control. I actually was surprised at how efficient the Atticus driver is. For 300 ohms, they are not hard to drive.

2 Likes

yeah I’ve heard that before, I’m hoping since the Tuba is a more neutral cleaner tube amp design it will be a great match, I’ve also heard from several other people that they enjoyed the eikon tuba pairing so… we’ll see.

2 Likes

The tuba would be a great match imo, it has more control over the driver and also improves clarity

2 Likes

Interesting… I just assumed zmf’s and tubes… the Atticus and Aeolus are 2 I’m looking at… I have an asgard 3 I love and a darkvoice I think is just okay (stock tubes)

I think the ZMF open backs sound better on tubes. The Atticus can be fun on a tube, provided you have the right tubes and amp.

2 Likes

I think I personally prefer the atticus and aeolus on tubes, but the eikon and auteur on solid state. The verite I like better on tubes

3 Likes

My personal MVP are the Shure HPEAC 1540

3 Likes

So, the RNHP is a great combo with Focals?

2 Likes

Imo yes, it really is a great amp for them in the budget

2 Likes

Focal Clear Pro + Burson C3X Amp - I can go on and on about this amp and how much it elevates all my headphones. This was a direct upgrade over the RNHP, as I opted for a space saving AIO rather than getting a fancier DAC (might still happen). I got the amp with consideration of powering something else down the line, but I found the pairing with the Clear Pro to be better than expected.

ZMF Aeolus + HAL Tuba Amp - I have been on the fence with the Aeolus. I wasn’t happy using it with a THX amp and I still wasn’t satisfied using it with the RNHP. An opportunity to acquire discounted Tuba amp came up and my perception of the Aeolus finally changed. Today happens to be a day where I have a favorable opinion of the Aeolus.

Other headphones that are heavy in my rotation but have specific use cases are my modded Sendy driver and Nighthawks.

Fallen out of rotation are the Elex, which is still a very capable headphone that I can’t bear to part with.

I’m still evaluating the 6XX to see if I can enjoy this more than the Aeolus on a tube, not happening so far.

7 Likes

for me personally it took a bit to warm up to the 6xx, about a week. But it was also my first audiophile headphone and I didn’t have a frame of reference for other better/different options

1 Like

Add it to your stack of amps :+1:

First, the stack needs lowering. Just sold the Vali 2. Next to go is the XDuoo TA-20.

Right on I’ve been selling alot too… feels almost as good as a new purchase actually

1 Like

for me selling is usually to fund/because of a new purchase who doesn’t love a good progression tree

1 Like