Favorite year of music?

Emo, The Smiths and The Cure before there was a gen Z.

1 Like

that does sound fun indeed, nice fun mix of genres!

I think i will have to go with 1991… Not perhaps due to all the great relases (there where quite a few, like “Nirvana - Nevermind”, “Guns n roses - use your illusion 1&2”, “Dire straits - On every street” to mention a few of the albums i bought pretty early on), but because it was that year i got my first CD player and i really started to listen to music…

Before that i had a sony walkman, and bought quite a few albums on cassettes, but when i got the CD player i really started to pay attention to the music world. Mind you, while the CD player was a pretty decent Sony model, my “amp and speakers” where a shitty Phillips “all-in-one” stereo unit (radio, cassette players and a really crappy record player on top). still, i did get to listen to music with it, and i guess it really started my love for music…

3 Likes

so the cd player was a nice step up in quality that let you appreciate the music in a different way than the cheap walkman?

for modern hip hop for me 2004, cause of MF Doom and Oukast releases were all godly, and 2017 cause of Tyler the creator released flowerbboy, Kendrick released DAmn , and brockhampton released the Saturation Trilogy

2 Likes

oh yeah the recent years have been real good for hip hop! tyler the creator is pretty cool. 2004 is an interesting date

It was before I was born, but for me 1971 may have been the best year ever for rock albums:

The Who-Who’s Next
Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers
The Doors-LA Woman
David Bowie- Hunky Dory
T Rex- Electric Warrior
Yes-Fragile (and The Yes Album)
Led Zeppelin-Led Zeppelin IV
Pink Floyd- Meddle
Carole King-Tapestry
Black Sabbath-Master of Reality
John Lennon-Imagine
Sly and the Family Stone-There’s a Riot Going On
Elton John-Madman Across the Water
Funkadelic-Maggot Brain
Faces-A Nod’s as Good as a Wimk
Traffic-Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
George Harrison-Concert for Bangladesh
Van Morrison-Tupelo Honey
Emerson Lake & Palmer-Tarkus (and Pictures at an Exhibition)
MC5-High Time
Janis Joplin-Pearl
The Band-Cahoots
Crosby Stills & Nash-4 Way Street

I like other albums more from a lot of these bands, but to me this was the year that rock really started branching out. A lot of these bands hit their stride and started writing better songs. It was more or less the start of Progressive Rock with Yes, ELP, and even Aqualung by Jethro Tull. The former Beatles were doing some of their best work, funk was becoming a little more mainstream, and glam was just beginning with Bowie and T Rex.

1 Like

oh that’s really cool! alot of great 71 albums.

Maybe the only album in that list that I would say “may” be the band’s best is Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones. Depends on what day you ask me, because I also like a few others with that Rolling Stones’ lineup. Meddle is a big one by Pink Floyd because it started taking them from psychadelia to the sound they eventually found with Dark Side of the Moon in 1973. And Hunky Dory was Bowie’s last album before Ziggy Stardust. A lot of people like Rubber Soul and Revolver by the Beatles because it was the first glimpse of what they grew to with Sgt Peppers and the White Album, and 1971 was loaded with those type of records

1 Like

I know you’re a lot younger than me, but if you’re curious check out Sticky Fingers by the Stones (Keith in full heroin mode and maybe at his best), LA Woman by the Doors, Tapestry by Carole King, and Fragile by Yes.

1 Like

2004 has MF doom’s MM… FOOD my personal favorite hip hop album by a single artist
MF doom , Mad vilainy, Venomous villain
I guess I was wrong about 2004 having out kast’s album though it was late 2003
but 04 had some awesome albums like DAnher mouse Thge GReay album
Kanye’s College Drop out
I will just say instead of 2004 early 2000’s in general before 2005.

1 Like

Lol, remember Dashboard Confessional? I wonder if he’s still around.

1 Like

For me its 81, 82, 83, 84. Simple Minds were right when they listed those years as gold. Thats when the “New Sound” as they called it in England and “New Wave” in America took off. I remember it fondly. If you look at KROQ’s list of top 100 songs of those years (at the end of each year they did a top 100) you can see it starting and going into full bloom. It was an exciting time in music. It was darker intriguing music. So fresh and sublime especially coming out of the 70’s. This music was being played on only a few radio stations, college stations, MTV, John Hughes films. We felt ultra cool knowing it lol:

http://www.rocklists.com/kroq.html

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown
Adam & the Ants - Antmusic
Simple Minds - The American
U2 - Boy
Pete Shelley - Homosapien
OMD - Electricity
Duran Duran - Girls on Film
The Police - Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
Killing Joke - Follow the Leader
Depeche Mode - Just Can’t Get Enough
The English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
Soft Cell - Tainted Love

A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
The Jam - Town Called Malice
XTC - Senses Working Overtime
Haircut 100 - Love Plus One
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded me with Science
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
The Human League - Seconds
Sparks - Eaten By the Monster of Love
ABC - The Look of Love

Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
Big Country - In a Big Country
David Bowie - Let’s Dance
Tears for Fears - Mad World
Duran Duran - The Reflex
The English Beat - I Confess
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
U2 - New Years Day
The Police - King of Pain
The Fixx - Red Skies
Echo & the Bunnymen - Never Stop (Discotheque - Version)
Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter
The English Beat - Save It for Later
Blancmange - Game Above my Head
Sparks - Cool Places
Icicle Works - Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly)
The Cure - Let’s Go to Bed
New Order - Blue Monday
Reflex - The Politics of Dancing
Real Life - Send Me an Angel
Heaven 17 - Let Me Go
Midnight Oil - Read about it
The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
Aztec Camera - Oblivious
B-Movie - Nowhere Girl

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
Echo & the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Depeche Mode - People are People
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dazzle
INXS - Original Sin
The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
Talk Talk - It’s My Life
The Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost In You
INXS - I Send a Message
Simple Minds - Waterfront
Killing Joke - Eighties
INXS - Melting in the Sun
Depeche Mode - Get the Balance Right
Ultravox - White China
Thompson Twins - Doctor Doctor
OMD - Tesla Girls

1 Like

Jose: i think the biggest difference was that i now had it at my desk with my computer, and that i could sit there and play music while playing games, working on school projects (or whatever i did with no internet connection). Also, the CD was a much more convenient media as i could skip songs, replay songs and no changing of sides… The sound quality was also a step up from cassettes, although the amp/speakers did the cdplayer no justice :slight_smile:

I also think it was a timing thing. I got the CD player a while after i turned 15, so i guess my interest for music was slowly started growing at that point.