Favorite year of music?

Whether it was the year you finally found a genre that just clicked with you, a year with multiple albums you loved or a year where you felt it was the peak of “good music” it would be cool to hear when and why.
Thought of this since around 2014-15 two songs became popular in Gotye - Somebody that i used to know and The neighborhood - Sweater Weather along with other more Indie sounds or more experimental feels like Vance Joy - Riptide came out. All these tracks became so popular in the US that they were played in high schools topped charts etc. It really opened my mind to other music since i was used to hearing you know more traditional pop songs like black eyed peas and stuff in the bus radio every morning and afternoon. So having these songs come out, become hits was a crazy nice feeling and those first two songs in particular really opened my eyes to other genres (mostly listened to spanish ballads, some rock in teenage years, anime music). Even know almost going into a new decade i have yet to have another similiar almost spiritual expirience even tho i listen to other genres. So it’s my favorite year of music. (2014?)

1 Like

2006 The year I got my first personal computer and my dad hooked me up with 300ish gigs of music so many nights staying up looking at music I had never heard… so much time looking at the visulizer in Windows media player. Honestly Made the person I am today.

1 Like

Anything in the late 2000s. The peak of emo culture and hard rock music.

3 Likes

damn that’s alot. really cool stoy too. were there alot of genres or mostly a few recurring ones?

1 Like

ah yes haha there was alot of that indeed. THese days i don’t really hear about emo music and stuff. seems to have gone to the screamo diirection

1 Like

Believe it or not, a lot of emo actually has screaming.
And emo culture is starting to come back in some places.

1 Like

lots of rap and techno some some rock and hard rock old school hip hop. My mom was in a cult so we didn’t own a tv or computer or anything like that. Still to this day thank him every time we hangout.

1 Like

Nineteen Seventy Seven.

2 Likes

really? yeah i guess emo music could be like black veil brides and crown the empire right? escape the fate

but at a point it literally JUST became screaming

Yeah. Leaning towards goth, but still emo.
And emo is a bit of a broad term. One of my favorite bands, A Day To Remember, is considered to be emo in some respects.

sorry about your mom, hope things eventually worked out. And that’s really cool, good rap rock and old school hip hop sounds like a great combination. sounds really beautiful!

1 Like

what type of music was it the heyday of? what did u like over now?

1 Like

Not necessarily. Black Veil Brides sounds more like a 70s rock revival in their style. And the screaming is not as common as clean vocals in their songs.

1 Like

interesting, i didn’t know there was a difference between goth and emo lol

Yes and no. Lol hard to explain. Goth is more… dark?

1 Like

I know I know. You wanted more than a year. :slight_smile:

I think even to this day, I can’t tell you if I have a favorite song or not. I have music that I listen to A LOT and consume it, I have music that I take in bits but always keep going back to. I have music that meant something to me as one stage of my life but I’m not that at that stage any more so new songs new artists have come in. So this is more about the confluence of events than the music, still.

The reason I said 1977 is because it was a wonderful year for music itself. The variety of songs, artists in the charts was bewildering. Something I don’t think we’ll ever experience again due to mass popularization taking over and displacing some of the variety in the process.

Disco, Funk, R&B, Pop, Classic Rock, Folk, Broadway, Jazz, Easy Listening, OST. All hits getting air play in the same year. Punk and Disco were Major influences in society and Rap was being born in the Bronx. Pretty amazing stuff.

1 Like

I still don’t know what an emo is, exactly. More of less what typifies emo culture.

It’s kind of a culture of music listening and a style.
Emo hairstyles are usually medium length with a lot of thinning, layering, and sometimes dyed. Also piercings are common. Eyeliner and other similar makeup too. Clothing is usually black, with emo band clothing too.
And emo music is sort of in between punk rock and screamo and hard rock.
EDIT: Here is what an emo friend of mine told me.
“Emo” is basically short for “emotional”, and it represents both a subgenre of rock as well as its fans…its popularity started gaining traction in the mid-2000s and still going strong to this day; they tend to wear mainly black clothing, black nail polish, and long-ish black hair, and are characterized as introverts and “sad”, but the music they listen to is rock with emotional lyrics about how life sucks, heartbreak, etc.

According to the dictionary it’s Emo is a style of rock music resembling punk but having more complex arrangements and lyrics that deal with more emotional subjects

1 Like