FD7/FH9 Competitors?

Please explain haha. This is like, “immersive imaging”, in any given soundstage dimensions?

Yes, tricking your brain into sounding holographic and not left/right or in front of you :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the FD5 and FH9, my opinion is the FH9 is a direct upgrade to the FD5. They have a similar Harman tuning with elevated bass and treble, but the FH9 fixes the mid bass hump and treble bite that the FD5 has.

1 Like

Would you also say FH9 is basically superior in every way to FD5? Even larger stage…? Equal air? Even more detail? I’m pretty psyched to hear it!! Right now my plan is to order EJ07, FD7, FH9, and then EJ07 KL last, as I think it may not be as technically excellent or balanced as the other 3.

For the price, going from FD5 to The Variations is almost a night and day difference for me. More resolving, better imaging and a slightly better soundstage since the FD5 soundstage is already pretty darn good.

I feel that you have mostly made your decision to go with the FH9? It is pretty much a direct upgrade from the FD5 and yes. Superior in every way. The FD7 is almost like a different kind of tuning and leaning towards my kind of music library (K-Pop). I’m not a basshead so I appreciated the FD7 more. I did not get to buy any of them since I have the variations and currently happy with it.

1 Like

Yes, I will do a shootout with those 4 IEMs and go from there. It’s possible I won’t like any of them, but I think unlikely, heh…

I don’t know what to think about Variations. I’m definitely not a Moondrop fan currently(Kanas Pro, B2, Starfield), and the lower price of Variations isn’t helping me choose it(as I want to get as far away as I can from KP/B2/Starfield sounds) lol. So far, I prefer BA over EST, so a more BA-based set may appeal, if none of these quite do it. Impossible to say without hearing them all haha… 2 things I absolutely value in a high-tier phone are: speed, and excellent 3D positional accuracy.

So far, I’m not convinced that MEST or Z1R are worth the extra money compared to these 4. But maybe something like a U12T would be. :thinking:

Metal library?

Ej07m

I did not like the B2 at all but loved the variations so that kind of situation can happen!

Good luck on getting those 4 IEMs! Looking forward to your impressions on them. Do remember that anything $500 and above can potentially lead to diminishing returns so do read on impressions and reviews that are above those price. More expensive doesn’t mean that it’ll sound good to your music library and usage.

1 Like

You find KL to be overkill? I would think, if I wanted MORE than EJ07, to go for KL lol. I have no idea if people prefer M over KL, or vice versa.

I love the minute, delicate textures and crazy sound effects in dark ambient, which FD5 opened my ears to, for one (music realm) example where speed/clarity/3D are awesome to have.

From initial listen I would say the stage is equally as large, but where the FD5 has length the FH9 has length plus depth giving a more holographic presentation to the song. The FH9 has a more natural timbre, with more bass quality and quantity, and a more relaxed treble tuning. Unfortunately, my right side driver was defective and was making sizzling/static noises so I had to return it for an exchange. I’m not even mad though cause it is what it is and electronics do arrive DOA, just luck of the draw I guess. I can’t wait to get my replacement in so I can do more in depth listening and comparisons. When do you expect to get your 4 IEM’s in? I’m curious to what you have to say about all the ones you ordered and how they compare in tonality and soundstage.

1 Like

Now you’re REALLY making me want to hear FH9 :grin: The stage dimensions, breathability, detail, and imaging accuracy of FD5 are about as good as I can imagine (or ever want??!), so if FH9 has those same specs(and improved!), this will be Christmas for me. The stage also was very natural sounding to me, at least on the gaming side.

I will be ordering EJ07, FD7 and FH9 from May 6-20, then EJ07KL 2 weeks later, if I feel EJ07 really needs extra power, or if I’m still interested in it. (EJ07 is The Special One, after all) So by May ~22 hopefully I will have those 3.

1 Like

Ej07 is my favourite iem, you cant go wrong and you wont need anything else :grimacing: well… Maybe DM :grimacing:

1 Like

DM v1 or v2? Or should I wait for v3…? :smile:

Yeah, I’m not really sold on what the 4th IEM should/will be… Maybe I’ll just get rid of #4, if one of the 3 blow me away.

1 Like

Dont quote me, but im expecting nothing from V2. A bird with a graph flew over me and I cringed…

Once you figure out what you like, it will be easier. I usually go for different driver setup. Just like today, I’m comuting right this moment with rsv

Def a consideration, on the BA side :slightly_smiling_face: I had a pretty good experience with DM8 and AST. Fast, detailed, smooth. (but not a spritial experience like with FD5)

1 Like

Any updates here? :slight_smile:

Happy with my KL but still super curious about that FD7

I have the FH9 and am scratching my head. V-shaped and “too much bass”?? I’m so damn confused.

I’ve been listening to the FH9 on my DX300 (AMP11Mk1 and AMP12) and on my DX300 MAX. On neither of those does it show absolutely any characteristics of a bass-focused or a V-shaped sound signature.

I wish you could understand how confused I am reading all of these things and having the completely opposite experience. If anything, based on my short listening sessions, I would go as far to say that it is more neutrally tuned, like the HiFiMan RE800 Silver.

Hahaha, we had the same experience! I was expecting some serious BASS!

FD7 ended up completely blowing FH9 away :slight_smile: FH9 sounded pretty terrible stock, but I was able to get it to sound alright after trying all the filters and certain tips. FD7 is pretty much what I wanted, though it’s still a bit on the bright side. I think it sounds VERY realistic, with nasty bass, great detail, air, depth, balance.

I was able to hear an EJ07, and from that and the drivers & shell design it had, I determined that a retuned version of it(=KL) wouldn’t be able to match what FD7 does. I found 07 to lack 3 specific things, causing it sound less-than-realistic: air(treble), bite(treble), and kick(bass). The bass was “cute” and soft. I also didn’t like how there was an imbalance of having more mids info than treble info, which makes it sound like there’s a bubble of sound nearby you, but then things in the distance are sharply cut off and hard to hear.

MEST MKII was just a lot of treble, so that was real easy to get rid of.

From here, with my FD7(realism) and Hook-X(smooth fun), I’m only waiting for FD9, and more planars. :slight_smile: But I would like to try 64 Audio Duo!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience! :slight_smile:

Maybe I can listen to the FD7 somewhere.

Are there any rumors or release date about an FD9 yet?

1 Like