Feels weird. So I'm leaning toward 560s than Sundara. Should I give Sundara more time?

I have both for around 2 weeks right now.
Sure, Sundara is more impressive in the separation, soundstage, and sounds cleaner than 560s.

But it sound less natural than the 560s, the hi hat and cymbal sound really metallic and become really fatiguing in the long listening session. Also acoustic guitar and piano kinda lack body in this headphone, but it is acceptable since it’s so detailed. Vocals are a little bit quieter here than the 560s but I actually prefer it this wat.

560s has more bass presence but lose on detail and separation by around 20-30%. Comfortwise, I prefer 560s over Sundara. Female vocal can sometimes a little bit shouty in 560s but male vocals is safe here.
I listens to a lot of instrumentals, like orchestra, acoustics and game soundtracks, and 560s sounds so much more natural in this genre. It gives more body and sound less fatiguing IMO.

Sundara is great on rock, pop, and more busy type of music but the high can be fatiguing.
560s is great on instrumental track or vocal with acoustic instruments.

So far, I’m thinking to sell my Sundara since I’m leaning towards 560s more.
Feels weird and stupid tho since Sundara is clearly “superior” than 560s.

3 Likes

There’s definitely a difference in sound characteristics between planar and dynamic, but the way you’re describing the Sundara I’d guess they could do with more power whereas the 560s don’t need much juice. What amp are you using?

I can relate, as although my tin P1s can get loud on some of the sources I own they only really sound good on a balanced 1W output from my hiby R5 and lose a lot of what’s great about them when under powered.

At the end of the day only you can decide what sound/comfort you prefer, but wanted to check you were giving the Sundara a fair shake. Cheers.

They probably would have got the better deal with a Dan Clark Aeon R/T, which would have combined both headphones and gained a bit more.
Especially in refinement, stage, and separation.
Would even be the better listener from their music preferences.
One small disadvantage of the R/T is that it requires power.
And ideally triumphs most on hybrid amplifiers.

What amp are you using

Right now I’m using them with fiio k5 so I think power isn’t a problem. I tried to adjust to them to have the same amount of volume too when comparing them.
At higher volume for me Sundara definitely more exciting (the low has more thump and excitement) but also still more fatiguing due to the high freq.

I will try experimenting to use EQ on Sundara and see them if I could like them more.

It happens to me too when I got my dt880 600ohm. The difference comes from the dynamic driver vs planar. Planars give the crystal clear sound but lack the slow warm musical touch dynamic drivers have.

It happens to me too when I got my dt880 600ohm. The difference comes from the dynamic driver vs planar. Planars give the crystal clear sound but lack the slow warm musical touch dynamic drivers have.

Just curious what are end up with? keep the dt880 or the Sundara?

kept the dt880 and sold the Sundara. I moved through most of the beyers until I settled with the t1.2nd. After that, I felt I need a planar. Got the he5xx I am impressed with it and want the Sundara back or get a high-end planar now :rofl:

Trust your ears. Whatever sounds better to your ears, go with it.

3 Likes