FiiO BTR3 replacement

So after a his long service my BTR3 was brutally murdered (My GF put it in the washer :frowning: )
So im looking for a replacement and im open to suggestions with a few small requests

• Bluetooth - Must have Bluetooth, LDAC would be nice but ill aptx hd is also fine
  • Small - can be larger than the BTR3 but id like to avoid carrying another phone sized item
  • Power - Doesnt have to have insane power but i’d like to be properly power planars (Like the Hifiman 400SE or even the XS)

P.S im open to using DAPs

1 Like

Did you already check the new BTR15?

Maybe also Muse Hi-Fi M4

Don’t know if power of these is enough for your headphone though

Hiby R3II if you want a smol DAP.
(or maybe Shanling M1s)

Didn’t try any of these yet but all the new stuff will sound good

1 Like

The Muse is interesting
I saw that the BTR15 has battery issues (at least according to amazon reviews) so until i can verify its resolved its out of the running

2 Likes

Qudelix5k is the best of these types of devices, with full parametric EQ

1 Like

It was one of the first ones i looked at but unfortunatly i cant get it where i live

Xduoo XP-2 Pro is also interesting if you can live without a physical skip button

WHYYYY XDUOO!!! :weary::weary::weary:

Why-Meme

Probably too big for you anyway!?

1 Like

Ya thats a chonker, way too big

The Btr5 seems like an obvious pick.

I was pondering the btr15 but they need to get them sorted out.

RIP.

You can check this list out:

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku Thanks for the list, its a little out of date (2021) but it knocked a few out of the running - TBH the magnetic clip is an great idea.

@John_W_Clark BTR 5 is a contender but i widening the scope

Right now, im mostly focused on newer units since everyone moved on from 2.5mm to 4.4mm, i had 2 cables bent very badly so i was hoping the update would also resolve that issue (though its not a must), the Muse is still the top contender

3 Likes

Afaik nothing has really surpassed the Qudelix 5k. Due to the app it has with PEQ and all that.

But yeah 2.5mm is cursed and wish they made a new one with 4.4mm (or someone else to just make similarly awesome app).

1 Like

For portable I tend to run BTR5 with Wavelet and have been pretty happy. My current phone has a decent EQ too, but I don’t use it very often.

I know it is larger, but the Muse HiFi M4 seems like the most interesting new solution ( @Rinderkappajoe mentioned this one ). It has all three connections, and does bluetooth. It has physical buttons, looks pretty cool, and has solid power ( 320mW ). I think they are under $130 USD.

Ya i ended up buying the Muse M4 (Not sure i trust fiio to fix the battery issue on the BTR15), a bit of a gamble but worth a shot - I’ll report back once i get it :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks I am always weirdly curious on good mobile sources, and the M4 is only my list.

I have been using my desktop setup a bunch lately, but I am running the Topping DX1 into the xDuoo MT-602, and that gives me both tubes and solid state with good power.

I love my BTR3 souxh so that I have two BTR3s and a BTR3k. That said, I’d switch to an inexpensive DAP. If you’re willing to buy used you can get DAPs with crazy sound and feature sets for a couple hundred or less. The iBasso DX160 and DX170 routinely go for under $200, have some of that BTR3 musicality and are very versatile. I own a lot of DAPs from low end no-name chifi junk to the Cayin N8ii and my DX160 gets a lot of use, no joke.

Dont get me wrong i still love the btr 3 particularly the size, but 4.4mm and more power to drive more demanding headphones is something i would love.

That why the BTR15 was the initial logical upgrade until i heard about the battery issue

1 Like

Keep in mind that the BTR3 were mostly designed and made before Fiio switch from using AKM chips to ESS chips. As A guy who owns the 3 series (km chips) and thev5 and series (ess chips) the difference is pretty apparent, IMO.

3 Likes

DAC chips have never really mattered to me
While it isnt exactly a 1-1 comparison, I already use an ESS dac with one of my desktop setups (use an S.M.S.L SU-9n + Topping A90D) so i dont see an issue, personally i always found that the amplification is much more of a dominant factor as in the source chain.

Im a little worried since ive never heard any of Muse’s previous amp/dacs (i know the M3 II is fairly well liked) but they dont have FIIO’s overall successful track record. but i figured i’d give it a shot

1 Like

My next source is definitely gonna be akm or burr brown(gryphon). I could def tell the difference between the btr3k and the Q5k and while I can’t say it’s because of the DAC the btr3k was definitely warmer and richer than the q5k

1 Like

Burr-Brown/iFi definitely has a special musically warm sound tone that really is enjoyable.

2 Likes