FIIO BTR5 vs dedicated dac amp

Hello I am a super noob to this space I currently have fidelio x2hrs running through my btr5 on my PC and have been looking to really dip my toes into something more. I see alot of reccommendations for the ifi zen dac v2 is there anything else in that sub 200 price point that would work. My use case is gaming and music if that effects anything. Look forward to any feedback.

Hello, give us more information so we can help you out

The zen dac would give a you a slightly different presentation than the btr5, but other than that its not really an upgrade, just a small change.

What is your goal?

I think the main difference between BTR5 and Zen V2 will be the usability: the Zend DAC being a portable object, it has to make compromises on ergonomics.
the advantages of the Zen DAC will be:

• an analog volume knob, way more fast and practical than the BTR5 rocker
  • bigger footprint and more weight => more stability on the desk
  • the jacks, on the front panels, wil be more accessible
  • you’ll be able to feed speackers with the ZEN DAC.
  • will be able to drive more demanding head/earphones (I think? too lazy to check the numbers)
  • have an analog bass boost

On the other hand, BTR5:

• has a smaller footprint so will take pless space on your desk
  • is cheaper
  • can be unplugged and used with other devices via bluetooth
  • you already have it

At the end of the day, it’s your choice. I don’t think there will be huge differnce in sound between those two. so you hav to ask yourself “do the difference in usability/features are worth it for my use case?”.

2 Likes

Thank you for this response. I guess i’m looking for something that will feel like an upgrade in terms of Dac/ Amp abilities to future proof me a bit at the entry level. As said above i do mostly gaming / media but love to kick back to some music basically all genres but an emphasis on edm and such and heard that the bass boost features of some dacs really give open back headphones some real thump. Is there something i should look toward for more of a serious upgrade?

Hi as said in my reply to Erokh i think i’m just trying to have a more permanent solution that i can use as i invest into better headphones over time.
my nice to haves list is as follows
-bass boost

• good features that i can use for future purchases
  • not so expensive that it will bankrupt me
1 Like

I would strongly suggest to get an ifi zen dac or an ifi hip dac, they both have a extra bass button that sounds superb.

They sound very similar the main things to consider:

Zen dac: has 2 line outs which u can use to hook up active speakers and amplifiers. If you plan to upgrade your headphone amp (you dont really need to unlessn you get demanding headphones) and/or connect speakers this is the one.

Hip dac: has a battery, can be used portably and has more power on the headphone outs, but no line outs. If you want portability and dont plan to upgrade soon nor connect speakers, this is the one. (You can still connect it to amps and speakers but its not intended for that).

Id pick de zen dac as you already have portability in the btr5.