šŸ”· FiiO BTR5

Got this tiny beast today!

I gave the BTR5 a spin with my HD 6XX.
YouTube Music 256kbps, Pixel 4 + iPhone 11 Pro.

Quick impressions after an hour or two of listening:

• it sounds fantastic
  • I know, I know, SPL and stuff. For me, the BTR5 drives the HD 6XX fine over unbalanced, with volume around 60-70%, high gain.
    • Iā€™ve already ordered some Hart Audio balanced cables, because I was curious. Iā€™ll post an update after trying them.
    • EQ was weird. I think this is where the lack of power may be showing. On my Hel, I can boost the hell out of the lower frequencies and the 6XX will be happy. With the BTR5 they seem to choke. The extra balanced powa might help here.
  • playing YTM 256kbps, I canā€™t really tell the difference between LDAC, APT HD (Pixel 4) and AAC (iPhone 11 Pro)
  • I also canā€™t really tell the difference between this and my Schiit Hel.
    • Well. The Hel can go MUCH louder, comparable volumes are like 9 o-clock for the Hel to ~38/60 on the BTR5 (both high gain). Also EQ (read above).
  • Android app seems slightly better. But they both work alright. Being able to connect to both and switch on demand was nice, made comparisons a little easier.

Overall, Iā€™m happy with this!

FYI, Amazon has them in stock for $110:

5 Likes

I believe AptX is good up to 352kbps. LDAC is better for CD-quality playback (yup, 990kbps).
CD-quality is 1411kbpsā€¦ but thereā€™s still compression happening (allegedly lossless).
Still, most people use FLAC files ā€“ lossless compression of about 1/3ā€¦ ~940kbps.

https://cdn57.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Bluetooth-Audio-Codecs-840x559.png

Iā€™ve experimented with Tidal and lossless and to be honest, I havenā€™t been able to tell the difference when I compare it to YouTube Musicā€™s high quality version. I know many people claim they can. Not disputing that, but so far it all sounds very similar to my ears. Maybe if I knew exactly what to listen for, Iā€™d notice. But perhaps itā€™s better that I donā€™t know :stuck_out_tongue:

However, if the YTM track is not 256kbps, I can tell. Itā€™s usually the ones that come from videos. IIRC, I used to be able to tell the difference between SBC and the other codecs, but itā€™s been a while since I used that codec, so not sure.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s hard if you donā€™t have ā€œgolden earsā€ or ā€œdetail monsterā€ headphones. Obviously more apparent if you could A/B youtube VS the CD, but well.

One thing I know is, youtube just demolishes the sub-bass. Electro songs I bought in .wav versus the youtube videos (official, 1080p, etcā€¦) I get maybe 30% more sub-bass from the CD-quality file.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also really hard to do a direct comparison, and that gets worse 44 ā†’ 96/192 because even knowing itā€™s the same recording is difficult.

The reason most people find it hard to differentiate, is because if it werenā€™t compressed audio would have been a complete failure, the difference really is tiny, itā€™s in the details.
All I really notice with compressed audio is a loss in staging, and ā€œclarityā€/treble quality, if your systems not particularly resolving, you probably wouldnā€™t notice that.
I would choose uncompressed over compressed, but I have tracks on CDā€™s I ripped 2 decades ago that I donā€™t have as FLAC, and are unusual enough streaming services donā€™t have them, and Iā€™m happy to listen to those in the format I have.
Iā€™d just stop worrying about it and listen to the music.

1 Like

To add to @Polygonhellā€™s point, Iā€™m going to drop a link to another post here:

The podcast linked to within that post has a couple of audio researchers as guests. One of the researchers points out that listeners inevitably prefer a lossless format over a lossy formatā€¦ EVENTUALLY. The tricky part is mp3 and other compression codecs are really good at determining and presenting the ā€œessenceā€ of a piece of music. If oneā€™s exposure is first and most often to a lossy format, that essence creates the expectation of how a track should sound. The subtle details like reverb and air that often get lost in a lossy (HA!) format can initially sound like a distraction from that essence. However, in time and with practice listeners do begin to prefer the added realism that the lost content gives back when moving to a lossless format. But that takes time and lots of listening.

1 Like

Would you say this could be similar in going from a headphone with little detail to a very detailed headphone for the first time?

Could be. Any new headphone/speaker is going to require some level of mental burn-in (physical burn-in is real too but almost always has a much, much smaller and sometimes vanishing effect). If you go from something relaxed like a Meze 99 series to detail cannons from the Beyer line, then yes, a similar effect could probably happen.

BTR5 now comes in a ā€œTitaniumā€ outer color. Might be able to see the side buttons better? I might buy one :slight_smile:

But I also want to see someone who has this:

Do it. Itā€™s a fantastic little thing, and I donā€™t even have my balanced 6XX cable yet.

Yeah, Iā€™ve heard good things. I think Iā€™ll buy the white one. I like it better and it comes with a case on AliExpress.

mine will be here Saturday, gonna tac this to the back of the THX portable. gonna test with 600ā€™s and 6xx when it arrives Tuesday, use case will be for bluetooth from my TVā€¦

Needing some help with the BTR5 and an iPhone Pro Max. I had the BTR5 on the LDAC codec and started messing with the other ones to see what they sounded like. Now the BTR5 wonā€™t do anything but SBC no matter what I change the codec to. Doing this via the FiiO music app. Have rebooted and hard booted the iPhone to no avail. BTR5 is still in SBC. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

The only codec the iPhone supports is AAC. So if you turn that codec off in the FIIO app, then it automatically reverts to SBC. AAC is still good, but if you want better, your only option with the iPhone is using the BTR5 as a USB DAC. To do that youā€™ll need the iPhone camera adapter plus a USB A to USB C.

2 Likes

Ah ok I gotcha. I had a feeling it might be something like that. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. There are days when I miss my Google Pixel.

2 Likes

Enable AAC and you should be good to go.

Iā€™ve tried to A/B test and I couldnā€™t really tell the difference between iPhone AAC and Pixel LDAC.

1 Like

Oh really? Now thatā€™s interesting. That makes me feel a lot better actually about using AAC with the BTR5. I was getting extremely confused trying to understand these codecs and bluetooth codecs. As a newbie to all this I realize how little I actually know.

Noā€¦ differences between headphones will all be enormous compared to just ā€œthe same file in .mp3 vs the originalā€ ā€“ mainly because I donā€™t even think itā€™s scientifically possible to release two pairs of headphones and do, like, ā€œwe took the exact same technicalities, but added a ton of detailā€.

For a size reference to the THX portable, jds labs ultra short 3.5 on the way, Iā€™m digging the profile so far, will get to listen tonight

4 Likes

Holy crapā€¦driving my 80ohm beyers on high gain 50/60 volume, wow bass is huge with just the unit, Amazon HD from iPhone, I am shook

3 Likes