šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD

Seriously? I just said exactly all of this!

Thatā€™s funny, from Bmn1251ā€™s posts, he sees them completely opposite you do. I agree with the majority of your comments regarding the Starfield and have stated as much.

are you sure? I wouldnā€™t have replied otherwise lol

I am. You must have gotten the posts mixed up. Iā€™m the one who feels the Starfield is a major underperformer. The only thing I think it has up on the FH3 is its timber, and thatā€™s a stretch. The FH3 timber can sound slightly unnatural compared to the Starfieldā€™s especially in cymbal hits. I did an exhaustive comparison of the FH3 and ISN H40 above and that was the only real thing I found I enjoyed more about the H40 vs the FH3.

Resolve (a very well respected audio reviewer) discusses the Starfield in the video I posted and discusses its timber in a very positive light. One of the strengths of the Starfield. I recommend checking it out. Itā€™s very informative.

Iā€™m not down on the Starfield. Itā€™s the IEM that got me started collecting IEMs. In this situation, Iā€™m using it as a comparison tool to help others understand the differences they should hear when listening to other IEMs. Iā€™m not reviewing the Starfield, Iā€™m simply comparing it to the FH3.

OMGā€¦ I canā€™t spell ā€œtimbreā€

1 Like

Its inoffensiveness and smoothness are exactly what I enjoy about the starfields lol. At this point, the words ā€˜funā€™ and ā€˜enjoyableā€™ are way too subjective for any audio-related thing.

Iā€™m just missing a bit of context. Out of curiosity, what tips and source are you using?

Unfortunately for Pr3ssAltF4, it appears we have the Moondrop Starfield QC issue rearing its ugly headā€¦

At first, I didnā€™t realizing he was describing the ā€œtechnical versionā€ of the Starfield. Not the ā€œrelaxed and smoothā€ version. Just know the QC was really bad on the Starfields to the point no one had any idea what they were going to end up getting with all the unit variation.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna have to give that a look laterā€¦
Edit: getting off work and Iā€™ve got a mile walk home once Iā€™ve walked out

1 Like

@PapaEmeritus so question, I obviously feel like I love these for the fun iem but I see you have a pretty high end stable of headphones, what would you say would be an equivalent headphone, same fun, same signature? Or anyone can chime in I guessā€¦

UGH. What a question! Really, REALLY good question.

Youā€™re not going to like my answer. the only headphone I own that comes close to the technicalities and sound signature of the FH3 are theseā€¦

My heavily modded TR-X00ā€™s. You canā€™t even buy the TR-X00 let alone all the mods that I worked through to end up where I did with the Lawton Marbled Ebony TR-X00. This headphone slays.

I love my ZMF Aeolus, but it can not come close to the bass response and extension of the Lawton. The FH3 is going to have much more detail and definition vs the headphone though.

IEMs and headphones are two totally different worlds. This is the best answer I have for you. Would love for you to stop by and let you listen to my Lawton. Everyone should listen to this thing! lol!

8 Likes

Wow I love the Lawton cups, like a macassar ebony, I love itā€¦so of course itā€™s unobtanium, my luck, I ask because I so used to the studio non fun sound, Iā€™ve chased that but am now on the hunt for the high end fun stuff, was looking at ZMF, Kennerton, Focal, but it honestly seems iems hold the best value overall

2 Likes

I 100% agree. I prefer to listen to most of my music through IEMs now a days, yet Iā€™ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars on many high-end headphones. Itā€™s completely incredible to me that I am hearing what I am hearing out of a 130 dollar IEM!!! ITā€™S INSANE!!! Iā€™ve spent so much and worked sooo hard trying to attain in headphones what the FH3 apparently can achieve easily, it drives me crazy.

THIS IS WHY Iā€™M PROBABLY SO PASSIONATE ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THE FH3 AND WANT TO SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!!!

I ignored IEMs for so long (for reasons) and I kick myself now that I didnā€™t see what they had to offer so long ago. I could have saved myself a LOT of money and heartache.

If you can deal with something sticking in your ears, IEMs are currently incredible value.

2 Likes

Well this is honestly good to know before I go too far and expensive, especially in amps and dacs, I still have a lot of love for headphones and certain sound signatures but am definitely going to chase iems as wellā€¦I was pretty floored hearing the FH3ā€™s and the ones we donā€™t speak of (Leg). Now Iā€™m like where to go from here or just be happy for $130, still only about 40 hours on the burn in side but Iā€™m just super happy

1 Like

Just Sold my Fostex TH Ebony(since i cant stand the weight of them) for a whopping 490$.You Know what replaced them? Fiio FH3 ez

3 Likes

Damnā€¦ I like hearing this for sure

1 Like

Iā€™m totally with you bud! Totally. I was thinking about the IER-Z1R, or the Monarch or Clairvoyance but keep asking myselfā€¦ Does it really get much better than this 130 dollar IEM? It sounds amazing.

For nowā€¦ Just be happy with this freaking amazing 130 dollar IEM. I am. I just want to share my happiness with everyone who has been looking for what I have been and havenā€™t found it yet.

1 Like

There ya go! Nothing in headphones really compares for me, and it kills me to say that because Iā€™ve been a HUGE headphone guy for sooo long.

And the weight of the TR-X00 is really good. Imagine if you had something like the LCD4? lol!

500 bucks vs 130? Itā€™s totally insane! And the sound quality on the FH3 is superior. Wellā€¦ some will agrue that with me but itā€™s my opinion. Headphones vs IEMS again.

1 Like

Ya I def need to stop watching BGGAR lol, the monarch and clairvoyance along with the UA Mest, it must just be the fomo I guess. I need to just enjoy this and get back to music for a while, especially after the Elegia debacle, no I appreciate all your thoughts really helped me with the decision to get them, Iā€™m still using the balanced tips so maybe I can search for my perfect tips, thanks again

Thatā€™s awesome to hear! All Iā€™m doing on these forums is trying to learn from those that know more than me and help those that I might be able to help. I really appreciate Rikudou_Gokuā€™s help offline with learning as much about IEMs as I can. Heā€™s been incredible. If I can help someone like heā€™s helped me, thatā€™s all I can hope for.

As for tips, I can give you my heartfelt recommendation to try Spinfits. Just give them a shot. Seriously. They are a big reason Iā€™ve been so in love with all of my IEMs. Their fit, sound and comfort have been unbeatable for me. I just keep coming back to them for the majority of my IEMs. And I try everything I can on every IEM I ownā€¦

3 Likes

Holy crap lolā€¦ok so I always need the biggest tips when I get so what spins do you rec? I bought BGGARā€™s rec for tips he uses, the foams I have those on the Leg 3ā€™s but Iā€™m really liking silicone for comfort

THIS is the biggest and MOST important aspect Iā€™ve found circling IEMs.

If someone doesnā€™t do their homework to find the perfect tip for their IEM and their ears, youā€™ll always have a subpar experience, and thereā€™s nothing anyone else can do to help you. Soā€¦ when I give advise on an IEM, you might not experience the same thing if you are not experiencing the same fit, seal and sound of the tips Iā€™m using.

Exampleā€¦ Someone using foam tips will not have the same experience I will using silicone.

Iā€™ve found even silicone tips hugely differ in seal, sound and comfort.

Examplesā€¦ Most stock tips (black or grey) wonā€™t even come close to sealing in my ears and wonā€™t grip my inner ear, eventually just falling out. I have no idea why. Some of my wide bore tips have thick silicone and do not deform easily in my ears. They become uncomfortable quickly for me. The wider bore tips reduce the contrast between the high and low frequencies yet expand the sound stage width. The Spinfit tips enhance bass and treble response compared to many other silicone tips and deform very easily in my ears because the silicone is VERY soft and thin. This also allows them to create a very good seal (the best Iā€™ve found). They also stick to my inner ears extremely well unlike many other silicone tips. I have no idea why.

Many of the big IEM reviewers will many times state they canā€™t speak to a certain IEM they heard at a show because they couldnā€™t attain a ā€œgood sealā€. It is everything when it comes to IEMs.

I could go on for hours discussing tips. Iā€™m kinda obsessed with them. But the best advise I can give to anyone is if you canā€™t obtain comfort and a perfect seal with your IEM, whatā€™s the point? You may as well throw it all in the garbage, and definitely do not come onto these forums and tell everyone here that your IEM sounds bad when you didnā€™t do your homework to find the proper tips for a perfect seal with your ears.

It takes time and money to go through every IEM and all the tips you can find to attain the best sound and comfort that your IEM deserves to be judged against. Your IEM is only as good as your tips and seal.

4 Likes