FiiO M11 advice - sell, repair, replace, or?

Hey folks,

I bought a used M11 DAP from a Head-Fi user almost exactly 2 years ago. It’s been the transport/source at my main listening station ever since. A few days ago I noticed the back panel bowing out. I can almost press it flat, but it takes quite a bit of force, and I’m not comfortable applying any more force.

It still works, but this is obviously not ideal. I’ve been using the iBasso DX160 from the bedroom listening station instead. A few months ago the back panel started coming off of that DAP, but it wasn’t bowed out at all like something was swelling inside of it. I took it into a phone repair shop and they glued it back on free of charge, and it’s been good as new since.

What would y’all do? Write the M11 off as a loss? Try to get it repaired? Sell it “for parts”? Keep using it until it stops working? Dispose of it as a fire/explosion hazard? I’ll be honest, I paid $310 for it. Let me know what you think.

Peace,
A-M

Could it be the battery is swelling? Might have to source a replacement. Ask FiiO’s rep on Head-Fi for a part number and/or price quote. If it’s the battery, and a replacement plus a cheap soldering kit is affordable, then I’d say repair it.

2 Likes

Not even soldering, almost always click-in like a lego block
Example: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801407828164.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Usually the hardest part of changing the batteries on modern devices is using heat and care to remove the ***** glass backs that have become ubiquitous. This one already being raised would make the repair a cinch!

2 Likes

Welp, the decision was pretty much made for me overnight when the back piece cracked all the way from one side to the other. I’m just too lazy to buy and install a battery and a back.

What do you think folks would be willing to pay for this poor thing as is, for a project? Just the cost of shipping?

I’ve sent you a PM