First 2.1 setup help

that setup will be 1520ish$ + tax. plenty of juice for any bookshelf speakers and most floor standers. the se12 has a nice interface and lots of tweak ability. the elacs are very neutral with good dynamics and a very fast woofer.

2 Likes

@joshua_g, I was looking at the dbr62 but I had decided against them for now because of Andrew Robinson’s review. he talks about sibilance when the volume is high and that is something I am looking to avoid, what do you think about that assessment? I like the amp but it a little pricey compared to the Cambridge axr85 (I like what I have heard about this line for budget integrated amps) what do you think about the comparison? as for the sub, I think a 12" sub is a little larger than what I need, I was thinking an 8". I appreciate the advice, I would be dead in the water if it wasn’t for this forums

1 Like

all good. the 8" is also a great unit, and 100$ cheaper! what amps did he pair with them? just curious. haven’t seen his review. i don’t find mine sibilant, but i don’t really listen loud.

i would then suggest a ribbon tweeter. wharfdale 4.1 with the axr85 and airmotiv se8.

edit: one of the reasons i don’t listen loud is i have very sensitive ears. to treble and to sound in general. and to me, just about all things that produce sound are sibilant when loud.

2 Likes

beautiful setup, I am tempted to buy it right now but I am worried about the return policy on the wharfdale 4.1 if I buy through amazon. I feel like the chances I don’t like it are low but I want my options to be covered. I like the sub and I think I definitely end up with that one or maybe get the 12" $100 to future proof room changes does not seem bad.

yeah, I think I changed my mind, I want the 12 hahaha

I really feel the 4.1 calling me, but with my lack of experience I am not sure if it is something to fully listen to and it seems like something that would cost a lot to return if I don’t like them. I am looking at the Elac uni-fi ub52, I like the measurements compared to the dbr62 which has louder treble and the free returns on amazon is a strong plus

1 Like

If you can fit and afford the bigger sub always always get the bigger sub. It’s way easier to turn them down to make them sound good than running a smaller sub on the ragged edge to get the volume you want.

1 Like

My go to bass test track for speakers is daft punk “doing it right”. Went with twin 10in subs for the front speakers, regret not going with 12s. so now its mixed setup 2x10s 2x12s for now.

2 Likes

bro same, great song

I dont have a bookself that can handle the bass notes of that track, 10in subs struggle to make the boom.

More importantly again the subs add scale to music/movies.

I have decided on the Elac uni-fi 2.0 ub52 speakers and the Emotiva airmotiv se12. I on decided these speakers because zeos was raving about the ub5’s imaging and stage and from other reviewers I have only heard that the 2.0’s are an improvement. they also have free returns on amazon so I can change my mind if I want to. I decided on the sub because it gets great reviews, seems to be a decent price and a sub is a sub. I do not know what amp to get… I want something with sub out obviously and analog inputs for my zen dac

I am looking at: the Yamaha a-s301bl, Denon PMA-600NE, and the NAD C328

1 Like

Since you got DACs i would go with the mid-price intagrated amps. Connect computer》DAC》SUB》CDin integrated AMP (pure direct/source direct)》speakers.
If you decide on the yamaha go with the 501/701 or denon PMA-600NE reason being the ELACs like power ive heard, you want that headroom. So coupled with the emotiva sub taking care of the heavy lifting any of the entry receivers should be awesome.

Just something to consider is adding an external monitor if your computer has HDMI out.

1 Like

Thank you all. I have gone with the Elac uni-fi ub52, Arimotiv se12 and the Yamaha a-s301. Since the Yamaha has free returns, @Flaculence I will be quick to return it and get the 501 if I feel my speakers need more power, I appreciate that input as the 501 was not on my radar at all. I will let ya’ll know what I think of the setup when it arrives!

1 Like

Looking forward to get feedback on yamaha 301, torn on which model to get myself between the 301 and the 701. The 701 power plug is detachable, for some reason im hung up the 301-501 have fixed power plugs.

Heads up zeos did a review on the 301 while back he reported signal bleed between imputs. If you do here signal bleed try hooking up an external dac through the CD rca imput.

1 Like

@Flaculence I’ll be sure to update. and yeah zeos really didn’t like the Yamaha but my brother and I decided it was not the best review. I plan to do the exact chain you mentioned earlier dac to sub(for crossover) to the amp then speakers. Why do you recommend the cd input?

If you look at the manual going through the CD rca imput on the amp using the “pure direct” feature FQ response 10hz -100khz pure direct shuts off curcuits for a direct path to the amp section.

So its like having a straight amplifier with a remote for volume control.

1 Like

Good deal then, I thought any of the analog inputs would work that way

1 Like

Theres a Onkyo amp 74 watts on amazon $345 thats looks pretty sweet.

I’ll chime in here on this bit. I have the Klipsch R-41M’s which I use at my computer. I also have the R-620F floorstanding speakers. Both pairs I use for straight music as you say.

I find Klipsch to be outstanding for listening to music.

For my home theater I have an all JBL setup, 5.1. But I’ve also used the Studio 570’s for straight music as well and they were great for that too.

Klipsch is a very good brand for music listening.

1 Like