First real set up help

Ok so let’s just say I haven’t been the smartest with my money so far in terms of knowing what I should be getting.

A long time ago I purchased the Swan H4 monitors and H6 subwoofer. The H4 monitors crapped the bed so I ended up just purchasing the Swan H5MKIIs on a whim. Needless to say I started caring about my set up more after they came in. I currently have it all set up to a Sounblaster Zx soundcard which is apparently a terrible idea due to electrical inteference.

Mostly I am just overwhelmed with info and have just a lot of anxiety about purchasing something wrong and having to send it back etc etc. If y’all could send me some good beginners info or just plain old spoon feed me it would be greatly appreciated. I also own the HD6XX headphones so any help with that would be phenomenal too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

First, welcome to HFG!

Second, what are you looking to accomplish with the setup? Of what you have now, what are you looking to keep/replace? Focus on speakers or headphones, and what’s your budget?

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

How much are you looking to spend?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m definitely keeping my speakers and headphones. I’m mostly looking to replace the sound card as my amp. I’ve lived with the sound card for over 6 years so I’m willing to save and buy good parts over a long period of time. But nothing over like $700 a piece.

I assume this is a desk setup? Do you have plans for other headphones in the future? What would be your priority, the speakers or the headphones? Since the speakers are active, it’s easier to prioritize the headphones since you primarily just need a line out to feed them.

A simple starter option might be something like a K5 Pro. The 6XX responds reasonably well to tubes, so you could also consider something like a Little Dot MkIII or Dark Voice, which could also act as a pre-amp to the speakers if you wanted to add a little ‘tubiness’ to the sound.

With your stated budget cap, though, there are lots of options depending on your sonic preferences. Sticking with entry level, Topping E30 DAC has volume control for the pre-out to control speaker volume, and pairs well with many entry level amps, such as Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy/Asgard 3, Monoprice Liquid Spark, JDS Atom, and Geshelli Archel 2 (Pro) are common recommendations. Other DAC options may not include pre-out volume control, but include Geshelli Enog, adding a DAC card to a Schiit amp, Topping D10 or D30, SMSL Sanskrit 10th, SMSL SU-8 v2, JDS Atom DAC, JDS Element II…lots of options. Many amps also have a pass thru pre-out that can be controlled by the volume knob, so even if the DAC doesn’t, the amp might.

Moving to mid-tier, a Schiit Bifrost 2 (top of your budget) for your DAC would still pair nicely with their Asgard, but also would pair nicely with many higher tier amps, such as RNHP, Liquid Platinum, Gilmore Lite MkII, or Lake People G111 as common recommendations. Other DAC options likely push budget, but could be found used, as there’s a bit of a performance gap from about $200-$600. Denafrips Ares II and Soekris 1321/1421/1521 are popular options for multibit/R2R, or Topping D70/D90, RME ADI-2, or Topping DX7 Pro for Delta Sigma. The Delta Sigma DACs tend to be more analytical and geared toward measurement prowess.

Welcome to HFGF!

You have some quality pieces in those Swan speakers and sub that are individually good but may not play well together. In my quick searching, it does not appear the H5MKIIs have a subwoofer output. Is this correct? Have you been setting your Soundblaster sound card to 2.1 out and feeding the speakers and sub separately from the sound card? IMO, recommendations are going to change based on whether those speakers and sub are easy to connect and use together, and if not, how much do you like/want to keep using the sub?

Edit: Info on those Swan H series subs is hard to come by. I finally got a look at the back panel of the H10. It looks like it has full 5.1 channel analog ins and outs. Is the H6 similarly equipped? If not sure, snap a hi-res photo of the input/output panel and post it here. If it is so equipped, this is going to get a lot easier.

1 Like

@FiCurious It is a desk set up. The speakers are the priority since I use them 90% of the time because I work nights so my neighbors are gone and I can really use them. I will check out the recommendations! Thanks a bunch!

@WaveTheory I do have them connected separately through the sound card. I do really want to keep the sub because I get a lot of use out of it when I watch movies.

Thanks again y’all!

I can’t find anything in specs…do you know if the sub has an internal crossover? If so, you could just feed the same RCA pass thru signal to both your stereo speakers and sub, then use the bass adjustment on the H5MkII to dial in your desired level of bass since you wouldn’t have the crossover between the two. You could also use something like this 2 way crossover box to split the signal.

Or something like this in line with the RCA split to the sub to only allow frequencies below what your H5MkII can effectively handle.

For your amp, you may want to look into an integrated amp that has both headphone out and speaker outs. In that case, you won’t have to get a separate amp for your headphones and one for your speakers.

All of the speakers in question are active, so they have amps built in.

1 Like

Awesome. Agreed! Subs add a lot.

@FiCurious is picking up what I was putting down. I assume this sub has a crossover in it, but I don’t know the frequency. Do you still have the owner’s manual. It will say.

Your easiest setup will be to get a DAC and headphone amp that has pre-outs. Many of them do. IMO the Schiit Asgard 3 is the best solid state headphone amp for the HD6XX that doesn’t cost significantly more than the headphone itself. It has pre-outs. You can either get a separate DAC or order the Asgard with a DAC module in it. Hook it up this way:

PC>DAC>Headphone Amp>[rca pre-outs to L & R input on] subwoofer>[RCA sub outs to] speakers

Set your speaker and subwoofer volumes high and at the levels relative to each other you like. The volume control on headphone amp will control your speaker and sub volume. In this configuration, the speakers and sub should mute when you plug the headphones in and play when you pull them out.

1 Like