First setup advice: headphones, DAC & AMP

Yeah it should be fine off of whatever :+1: have fun with it lol

1 Like

One interesting tidbit, I do have to max out the virtual volume adjustment in windows to get them to a level I’d find listenable.

On the other hand, these sound fantastic. These have so much better imaging than I thought. In orchestral recordings, I can hear fainter instruments I’ve never heard before in the Krakens, and even tell the general direction they might be in. Everything sounds more resolving and fuller, and in said orchestral tracks, everything has a much greater sense of space to them, and it’s awesome.

1 Like

Once you use them for a couple days they get better too lol

1 Like

Well, I certainly am looking forward to that lol. For a first dive into Planars, these have exceeded my expectations.

Do ya have any recommendations for a headphone stand? I liked the look of the Razer Base Station Chroma but I ended up finding a demo unit and was disappointed at the build quality. I’m not really sure I like most of the other options on Amazon either.

I can’t really help you on that one since I don’t use stands lol. I think there is a threads on good stands

Considering I nearly have enough to buy the A3 without a DAC unit, would it still be a good idea to grab the base A3 and add the dac later down the line?

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet imo, allows you to upgrade the dac later on too. What headphones are you thinking again? Edit: It’s teh 4xx, didn’t pay attention for a sec

Yeah, I’m running the 4XX. I get it’s probably not necessary to have that much power, but the price for performance on the A3, even if it’s a little more expensive, really is tempting.

1 Like

I forgot, you don’t have an amp already correct? The a3 should really help out the 4xx

Yep, this would be my first external amp. I already have a line out cable that ends in RCAs for output, so no worries there too. My desk is just missing a nice unit to power these headphones.

1 Like

Sounds like a great choice then :+1:

Just ordered a black Asgard 3 with overnight shipping because I’m impatient lol. I’m definitely looking forward to how this turns out.

2 Likes

Curious to hear your thoughts :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

My Asgard 3 arrived, so here’s some quick first impressions for the first few minutes. It’s a little difficult to tell the sonic differences right now, but one thing is for sure, there is now a noise that wasn’t there before when I used the headphone jack on the system. It’s like some sort of interesting whining noise that becomes more prevalent as I raise the volume nob with nothing else playing.

That being said, I love how well built and sturdy it is.

1 Like

I’m surprised you don’t notice an immediate improvement with the 4xx, it’s pretty noticable

1 Like

My listening skills are pretty lackluster, honestly, so whatever the improvements are, will take time for me to notice.

If anything I kinda feel bad for not noticing the difference immediately. I know it’s only a few songs I listened to before having to leave for something important, but either way it’s like I don’t know what I’m looking for in improvement, or just can’t tell the difference.

1 Like

I could clearly hear some sort of noise coming from my PC in the amp. Yet, when I connect it to my Macbook, it’s a whole different story. First of all, there’s no noise, second of all, I believe I can actually hear the difference. There’s more better impact in the bass, and another thing, everything just sounds clearer, as if there was some sort of veil over my music that was lifted because of it. When I tried the headphones by themselves on the Mac, it spewed out noise, detail just lacked. What a difference!

2 Likes

Wait I forgot did you get the dac? You might have a ground loop on pc

1 Like

Nope, no DAC unit yet. I mean, if anything me trying it on the Macbook really did the trick. So, how would I solve that ground loop for my PC.

1 Like