Floorstanders For Desktop Use

I currently have some Adam A5X with a Schiit Jot 2 as a pre amp. The sound is good and clear for gaming, but when I listen to music I am whatever about it. My room is 13 x 13. I would like to get speakers off the desk and a bit farther away from me, they are just around 3’ away currently. Does anyone use floorstanding speakers within 6’ from them in a small room? I was thinking some Borea BR07 might not overpower the room and I would angle them with a pyle riser isolation foam to align the tweeter to my ears.

could just get a stand and use whatever speakers you want.
kanto floor stand is solid

2 Likes

the issue with floor standing is they usually need to be w distance away from the wall, while bookshelves are usually closer and placed in nearfield.

CTOX suggestion of putting them on stands is a good one though!

edit - my comment on floor standers is incomplete. being they usually need to be away from the wall to breathe, placing them so you benefit from what they bring wouldn’t happen.

1 Like

it depends on the floorstanding speaker. the main thing, like marzipan pointed out, is potential boomy bass. but you can also have the same problem with bookshelf speakers in a similar situation.

many floorstanders would do fine in a desktop scenario. speakers don’t care if they are 3 feet from you. you can spread em out more cause they are not mounted to your desk.

but honestly, if your happy with your speakers, just get some stands like others have said.

edit: and, if you are just looking to get new speakers and just dont care(i have been there), keep the adams for gaming and get a set of floorstanders for your music. nothing wrong with multiple sets of speakers in the same room.

1 Like

the problem is regarding how much air the desktop speakers need around them…it could be such that the speakers would be behind you when they’re sitting at their desk and pointed away from you to boot.

now if you can get some towers that can be closer to a wall, then I would look for one’s that aren’t fussy about placement so where you’re located isn’t as important as usual.

1 Like

One option always is movable and quality arms (monitor arms etc) If table can support the arms or maybe even wall / floor stands.
Move em any way you like and test room environment. Quality arms do cost to support enough weight. Why not even movable wall arms with 2 x different parts.

2 Likes

Most of the Q Acoustics floorstanders are said to be unfussy about positioning, don’t have experience of them though. My B&Ws came with foam bungs to allow close to wall positioning but are much happier at about 4ft away from front wall. Maybe a pair of subs instead? Just took a look at those Triangles and I see why you’re tempted, they are beautiful.

1 Like

Yeah I have thought of having a dual setup, because for gaming it’s not a big deal with the neutral sound. Have to consider the spouse though, the rule is one in one out lol.

perhaps you can give us a picture of your setup and let us see what you have to play with for space. :slight_smile:

The hardest thing is there isn’t much locally to test speaakers, it’s just Klipsch and Polk stuff at Big Box stores within about 5 hours trip for me. I kinda hoped the Borea might be a bit forging with bass being front ported. I know bass is still omnidirectional but it could help. I haven’t seen anything specifically for near walls in tower speakers other than some on wall stuff that is large (I am sure there is though). The Adams do well near the wall, I also have Dali Menuets upstairs that are ported for being near walls at the back. Might not be much of an issue at low volumes anyways. I don’t mind a bunch of bass when I am home alone also.

1 Like

looking at speakers that aren’t placement sensitive is still a really good idea. a couple examples are the Klipsch RP-600 and the Swan M1.