šŸ”¶ Focal Clear Mg

And sworn on the bible.

2 Likes

ā€¦signed in his first bornā€™s blood. :slight_smile:

His name is Paul Allen if no one believes me.

1 Like

Yeah, I think holdā€™s doubly true for Andrew since he runs Headphones.com. Thereā€™s really no reason he shouldnā€™t have been able to test them against each other for his review just for the sake of clarity. As for Zeos, I can kind of understand where he is coming from, wanting to do his testing without looking anything up, but he should definitely be getting his info together before he starts filming.

They pair well with a Jot2/Modius. Thatā€™s $600. I know @Falenkor said that they were fairly amp picky though.

I do not believe that is true. Heā€™s affiliated with them and runs the Headphone show for them.

2 Likes

That would be my bad. Itā€™s two different Andrews. I knew he was affiliated, and knew the site was started by an Andrew so I made 5 from 2 and 2.

Cheapest for the clear? I havenā€™t heard the mg yet, so I canā€™t say too much, but going off the normal clear, at minimum Iā€™d want something like a jot 2 + modius. Ideally I think the place to be without breaking the bank is the rnhp + bf2 combo for something neutral-natural and very capable without being over the top, or a little labs monotor + a used bryston bda 2 or holo cyan pcm a bit more neutral clean slightly analytical.

You can go higher and get rewarded for it, but you would be pushing the 2-3k ish range used with perhaps a violectric v280 + soekris 2541 (around 2k used for both) for something more studio neutral with a bit of warmth and extra space, xi broadway + schiit yggdrasil a2 (3k used) for something more warm, wide, bodied, and impactful (or swap the dac for a dangerous music convert 2 for really great grip and control with more neutral signature), or lta mz2 (w/ lps if you can find one) + veridian utopia sirius or exogal comet plus (around 3k used) for something more organic, rounded, decently linear and intimate. You could probably work down prices here by swapping to different dacs if needed. These are all combos that worked pretty well with the clear, but I canā€™t comment on how the mg responds and I can only go off the assumption itā€™s somewhat similar responding to source gear

5 Likes

Damn that is kind of a certain ā€œdonā€™t botherā€ for me lmao. I am not that deep in the rabbit hole, and probably never getting that deep (I hopeā€¦)

To be more clear (heh), I should say that it can sound great on something like a lake people g103s + earmen donald or an asgard 3 + modi 3+, but you will just be really limited in what you get out of that headphone and it might not be as worthwhile, an elex could make more sense as itā€™s less amp picky and a lower price (which allows you to improve your source gear), but it is less capable than the clear by a decent bit (but you only get that capability from good source gear with the clear anyways imo). Then once you build up source gear, then move to the clear

3 Likes

lol, sorry. I think I know who the guy is that owns it. Iā€™ve spoken to him on the Headphones.com website, but I could be mistaken. I had no idea that his name might also be the same as Resolveā€™s real name but itā€™s totally possible. I thought we were discussing the YouTuber Andrew/Resolve. My bad.

Andrew did indeed do his homework before posting his review. The Clear Mg and Mg Pro were confirmed to be tuned the same by Megane, Focalā€™s product manager in France, before he went ahead with his review.

We had the Clear Mg for about a month before it launched so @ResolveReviews had plenty of time for testing and getting the facts right ahead of the video.

Andrew Lissimore (my brother) is the owner of headphones.com. Resolve (different Andrew) is from The HEADPHONE Show. Hope that clears it up!

8 Likes

@m0n As always, your insights are much appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you. This does Clear (heh heh) all of this up. Much appreciated.

OKā€¦ This should put this issue to bed for the rest of time even though this wasnā€™t made clear in Andrewā€™s reviewā€¦

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting one but would my current setup run them good or should I look for a new setup?
I use Topping D30pro Dac & Rebelamp

This has turned into my daily driverā€¦ these are ridiculously goodā€¦ I think once they start dropping in price though itd be a bit more worth whileā€¦ og clear is extremely good and now found quite alot cheaperā€¦ course this is my opinion as someone who like to save moneyā€¦ that extra like $600 can buy better equipment, music, or another headphone

Nonetheless, these more than likely wont be sold like ever less focal releases an upgrade

5 Likes

If the few pairs out there differ between left and right channels, I can imagine the browns differ a bit from the red, unintentionally of course :slight_smile: Waiting for the courier to bring me a new pair today. Hope theyā€™re gonna be more balanced than the first one. So much joy awaiting.

1 Like

How do you like your combination :slight_smile:

Contrary to a lot of other amps the Singxer is actually cheaper in EU!

Itā€™s a solid match with the Focal Clear MG. However I will say that the Lakepeople G111 sounds really similar IMO. I am only bringing this up in case folks would like to save some money. However, the Singxer has more features than the Lakepeople G111, with it being balanced and having a 4.4mm connection. Also the impedance switch is another nice feature to play with if you have different low and high impedance headphones. Switching though from low to high gain on the Singxer can either be something interesting or annoying depending on your view or if you need to mess with it at all cause they are on the bottom of the unit. Watch Zeos review on it if you want to see what I mean there.

1 Like

Yeah in EU they are actually the same price.

I think I am going to have to do this upgrading step by step. Was hoping to just splurge at it all at once, since the clear MG are ā€œonly 1250ā€ in some places right now. But at the moment I only have a fiio E18 dac amp, audioquest nightowl and PC38X.

Would love to get a Focal, but I am sure my gear just is not going to be enough (and neither would a 400 dollar stack be according to you guys :stuck_out_tongue: ). Also ordered a B-stock G6 the other day for my gaming needs (schiit hel is literal hel to get to europe :wink: )

With the G6 as a gaming device, I am free to buy whatever dac/amp without worrying about mic input and such. So I think I am going to buy an amp first (would also be a good upgrade for my current Nightowl) and then either the Dac first and focal later, or focal first and Dac later (depending how well the G6 is going to hold up as a dac at this price pointā€¦).

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

So yea it would be a good idea to try and upgrade a few things slowly and play around a bit. For example I started out with a JDS atom and JDS OL DAC and a pair of 58x headphones. From there I started looking at Schiit products (I know these are harder to get a hold of in EU) I picked up the modi/magni stack, then started looking at some of the Beyerdynamic headphones (such as MMX 300, DT 1990, DT 880, TYGR 300 R, T1 3rd Gen, T1 2nd Gen). This then lead me to upgrade to Asgard 3, which was a great pairing for the Beyerdynamic headphones. Along the way I tried a few Audeze and Focal headpohones (started with the Elex). Once I got a hold of the T1 2nd gen headphone, I started looking at upgrading my equipment, which lead me to invest in the Bifrost 2 and Lakepeople G111 amp. Now my current setup is the Bifrost 2 and Singxer amp.

1 Like

In a week or so Iā€™ll try and do a solid comparison with the Elex. First 2 songs and its very different, but better at this point. Any suggestions on break in?

5 Likes