šŸ”¶ Focal Clear Mg

Definitely file a complaint asap on Ebay. Like now.

1 Like

eBay should cover you for 30 days after receiving the headphones. Try to contact the seller and if it canā€™t be resolved between you you can raise a complaint to eBay

3 Likes

The seller told me to return it fortunately, letā€™s see what happens now. Man what an endless journey this has been.

4 Likes

Guys what is a good amp dac pairing with the clear MG?

So far I have read:

• Bf2+jot2
  • Bf2+RNHP

I am running mine with the Bf2+RNHP. I have 5h with them so far.

1 Like

Opinions seem to vary based on what you want from the music. There are indeed several of us that like them with both the ones you mentioned. But if you want the DAC and amp to get out of the way and not color the sound, @Resolution loves the D90SE+A90 pairing. He also has another amp he enjoys them with that Iā€™m too lazy to scroll back up to find, lol. But they should also scale similarly to the OG Clears with higher end gear, so checking out the OG Clear thread might be worth your while.

Continuing though, a Soekris 2451+Violectric V281 might be good? But I could also see that pushing it a bit too warm for some people. Now if you want to stay with the Bf2, a Burson Soloist 3XP might me a good choice. Or even a Conductor+Soloist stack might work. But Iā€™m not sure if anyone here has tried that? But again, back to the Bf2, a while back M0N pointed these out to me:

Of course, this is all dependent on what your budget is. Beyond that, Iā€™m pretty much at a loss for advise to give, lol.

3 Likes

There was also a recommendation of Little Labs Monotor + BF2 for the Clear MG as well.

3 Likes

For anyone wondering about my DACs & ampsā€¦

Here are some photos of my personal DAC amp setups I have experience with in combination of the OG FOCAL Clear & FOCAL Clear MG. I no longer own the OG Clear and only have the Clear MG Pro on hand currently.

(My Darkvoice is heavily MODDED)

Hope these are helpful to anyone trying to recall any amps or dacs I might have been referencing in my discussions. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nice set up! Do you mind me asking what tubes you use with your DV?

Selling My Focal Clear MG pro!

Review by GoldenSound

Not sure I agree with what he says about their timbre, and I canā€™t hear above 16.5-17kHz, so I canā€™t comment on them being fatiguing to people who can. Thoughts?

3 Likes

I think he did a great job. I think heā€™s my new favorite reviewer.

Heā€™s being very critical as he should be.

I canā€™t hear over 16K so I can not comment on his comments of the treble above 18K, but I believe him. Iā€™ve enjoyed most of his reviews, and heā€™s very well educated in everything he discusses and uses music to describe his feelings/opinions.

As for the timbre, heā€™s right. Timbre has always been the weakest point and my biggest gripe with all the FOCALS Iā€™ve owned. I personally feel the Clear MG has much better timbre than FOCALā€™s other headphones.

Heā€™s a GREAT reviewer. I canā€™t for him to review more products.

5 Likes

Golden does a great job. And for as much as the Mg cost I agree that he should be critical, Iā€™m just not sure I agree with his criticisms this time.That could just be my lack of experience with other headphones though. But yeah, I love the way he does his reviews, using specific tracks to point out what heā€™s talking about. I think heā€™s just the right mix of objective and subjective.

2 Likes

I think heā€™s got a lot of experience. He made mention of the Susvara a few times, so heā€™s comparing the Clear MG to the very best heā€™s heard and trying to give the most accurate impressions within his experience. Good or bad. I respect that.

I find it very refreshing that he gets critical and 95% of everything reviewed isnā€™t simply ā€œthe bestā€. Itā€™s refreshing in a sea of reviewers that are all trying to make a living reviewing products that canā€™t be too critical of any products because they donā€™t want to upset the manufacturers.

3 Likes

I gotta be honest, this youtuber lost some credibility to me because he claims to hear better soundstage and separation on high end DACs. I do not agree with DACs sounding better than the audibility threshold, maybe thatā€™s the objectivist in me.
That being said, I agree about the warm nature of the Clear MG, thatā€™s exactly why I love it. I can only hear up to 17kHz, so I donā€™t hear this supposed 18 kHz resonance he was talking about. I know the Elex had a measurable resonance around 19 kHz, but the original Clear removed that. And according to measurements at SBAF, the MG does not have any resonances in this area, so Iā€™m skeptical: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/focal-clear-mg-measurements-analysis-review.10755/page-2

I agree. Iā€™m also a huge fan of the additional bass/sub bass extension and better timbre vs the OG Clear and of course, the slam. :slight_smile:

Just remember, at the end of the day, nothing else matters as long as YOU like it.

4 Likes

SBAF measurements are taken with a MiniDSP Ears rig with their own compensation. Not an industry standard measurement rig.

Yeah I know, but the 18 kHz driver resonance should at least show up in some way if it was actually there. I heard weird resonances with the Elex which was at least backed up by the CSDs, but I hear nothing on the MG which is also backed up by the very clean CSDs in comparison. Anyway, I canā€™t hear that high so maybe itā€™s placebo.

Okay, so I bought both the OG Clear and the Clear MG over a week ago, so letā€™s ramble for a bit.

Honestly, I think that by far the biggest difference between them is exactly the thing that GoldenSound is referring to as a ā€œwoolyā€ texture over everything (which is a reasonable description, imo). I initially wanted to call it a muddiness, which also sounds insane to me considering that these two are the most resolving headphones that I own.

The Clear MG is fuller, slightly bassier, and muddier while the OG Clear is ā€œclear-erā€ (lol) and thinner. If my chain was just a smidge thin-sounding, I think Iā€™d dislike the OG, honestly (which explains why everyone pairs the OG with the Bifrost). Also, I should mention Iā€™ve spent like 90% of my listening time on the Quicksilver, which is a tube amp.

What I find especially funny about this is that while that texture on the MG definitely sounds weird to me in spots, I didnā€™t always find it disagreeable. For example, I listened to the first few tracks of Jai Wolfā€™s ā€œThe Cure for Lonelinessā€ and I preferred the separation of the sound on the OG while listening to ā€œLose My Mind,ā€ but while listening to ā€œStill Sleeping,ā€ I preferred how the MG made it sound more full and cohesive. And itā€™s not like these are two different genres of music, theyā€™re literally two songs on the same album.

Some other notes: Iā€™m 32 years old and I canā€™t hear 17Khz. It would be a stretch to claim I can even hear 16.5KHz. So I definitely canā€™t hear the 18KHz treble issue on the MG. Before COVID, I used to attend weekly swing dances with live music, so yeah, several years of loud music events on a regular basis probably hasnā€™t helped my hearing.

As for timbre, I donā€™t think the difference in timbre between the OG and the MG is particularly significant. They do have different timbre, but like, my daily driver is an Eikon, which has much better timbre than both imo. So itā€™s kinda like, if you care about timbre a lot, you probably donā€™t want either Clear, but I personally donā€™t find the timbre of either one of them offensive, so if itā€™s not that important to you, I think youā€™ll be fine.

Anyway, the real reason I bought the Clears in the first place is because I had recently bought a new DAC. My most resolving headphone was my Eikon and I wanted something a little more detailed to really let me hear the improvements in my chain. From that perspective, I donā€™t think I wouldā€™ve been dissatisfied with either of the Clears (though interestingly, the jump from my previous DAC to my new DAC was a bigger jump than from the Eikon to the Clear).

Crinacleā€™s review of the Clear MG mentioned some weirdness with the pads, so probably at some point, Iā€™ll try putting the OG Clearā€™s pads on the MG and vice-versa and see how that goes (yay for the Pro skus including extra pads).

So now that Iā€™ve upgraded my DAC and bought a Clear, I think Iā€™m in the mood for my next headphone to be something kinda fun and stupid like a Gjallarhorn or something. I dunno, weā€™ll see how things go after my walletā€™s recovered.

11 Likes

Listening to more tracks on the MG today, I realized just how amazing they are especially for hot/bright recordings. Since they push the sound more in front of you, it adds some space and the vocals are not fatiguing at all, the opposite in fact. You can really tell how well something was mastered because of this, as the details are presented in front of you with great imaging and layering. You can tell if the engineer purposely wanted a certain instrument to pop out, and itā€™s easy with the MGs to notice, not so much with other headphones. Even with brighter headphones I have like the Hifiman HE-500 and Sennheiser HD600, you canā€™t dig deep into the recording like you can with the Clear MGs. You would think itā€™s the opposite given how warm the Clear MG is, but somehow thereā€™s so much more detail than those other headphones. Thereā€™s also a unique midrange presence that is hard to describe with the Clear MG unless youā€™ve heard it. Only thing I hate about the Clear MG is itā€™s ruined my other headphones for meā€¦ darn it.

3 Likes

Quick update: The Clear MG pads visually look quite similar to the OG Clear pads, but to the touch, they have more resistance when you press into them, and they take longer to return to their original shape, kinda like a memory-foam-ish material. The OG Clear pads donā€™t offer much resistance and just immediately spring back when you press into them, so the two models definitely seem to use different pad material.

I happened to have some pretty well-worn OG Clear pads, so I tried putting them on my MG and I /think/ I prefer the MG with the OG pads over the stock pads, but I would need to give it more time. It does seem to clear up a lot of the muddiness I talked about in my earlier post, but it doesnā€™t seem quite as clean as an actual OG on first listen. If anyone else has both models, I would love to hear anyone elseā€™s thoughts just to double-check that Iā€™m not crazy! lol