šŸ”¶ Focal Clear Mg

I know, I agree.

I know, I agree.

I was having a little fun. I donā€™t know how many times it has been stated here and around the internet that the Clear MG and Clear MG Pro are the same headphone. Just as the OG models were.

I was pressed and pressed about this on YouTube last night where someone wanted proof that this is the case since they didnā€™t want it to be true. So Iā€™m a bit sensitive to this whole thing right now.

ONCE AND FOR ALL EVERYONEā€¦ THE CLEAR MG and CLEAR MG PRO ARE THE SAME HEADPHONE!

1 Like

Yes. Fine. But that doesnā€™t answer the question thatā€™s on everyoneā€™s lipsā€¦

Are they or are they not the same?

Kidding.

1 Like

lol, They areā€¦ but not. But then again, theyā€™re not, but are.

1 Like

If it werenā€™t for the fact that Iā€™d cry after doing it, Iā€™d sent you my pair of non-Pro so you a/b them side-by-side and use that as definitive proof to for people, lol.

Iā€™m more concerned that the actual manufacturer of the headphone says theyā€™re sonically the same but that doesnā€™t seem to be sufficient enough evidence for a lot of people lol.

ā€œI mean they say that but has anyone tested it?ā€

Iā€™ve actually held both Clear MG and Clear MG Pro in my own hands and listened to both of them with my own ears.

Iā€™ve been lying to everyone. Iā€™m sorry. I found the Pro to be slightly more ā€œproā€ sounding than the non-pro. The non-pro sounded ever so slightly less pro than the pro. The pro also weighed slightly more than the non pro with the pro cable attached. I found the pro earpads to have a slight reddish smell to them, where the non pro earpads had a brownish tinge to them.

Since the non-pro Clear MG has silver/chrome hex pattern on the earcup grills, I find the timbre of the non-pro Clear MG to be slightly more metallic than the pro. I prefer this more metallic sound especially while listening to Metallica. It is perfect synergy. Iā€™d never listen to Metallica with the pro Clear MG after hearing how metallic the Clear MG sounds with its metallic honeycomb grills.

EDIT: If I donā€™t get some lulz from this post, Iā€™m gonna be really sad. I sat here and thought all this crap up for your enjoyment!

9 Likes

Pretty sure Focal did.

If they donā€™t then that leaves Focal in a very unlikely and embarrassing situation.

1 Like

Same drivers and chassis design, same sound.

3 Likes

lol I know man, I was joking also. :slight_smile: Kinda like @Resolution, poking a little bit at people who keep asking if theyā€™re ā€œREALLYā€ the same. Likeā€¦ yes. I mean I canā€™t find it exactly on Focalā€™s website or anything, but every audiophile review has said Focal directly said itā€™s the same driver/sound/tuning but in a different color and includes pads instead of an extra cable lol

2 Likes

Ah, I didnā€™t know youā€™d already had both on-hand. But aside from the one comment Josh made in his video, I also didnā€™t know how much debate there was over whether there was any difference other than cosmetics and accessories. I tend to stay away from YouTube comment sections and this is the only audio forum I visit. And since I live in the middle-of-nowhere Kentucky, there isnā€™t anyone else Iā€™m aware of personally thatā€™s into this hobby. So, Iā€™ve isolated myself pretty well from what youā€™ve had to deal with in that regard. Still, hopefully people will realize they are the same tonally and knock it off with trying to claim they arenā€™t.

I own the Clear MG Pro, but have a friend that got Clear MG.

I really wish these reviewers would do a little more homework or postpone their reviews until they have the facts. Both Josh and Andrew stated things they should have had cleared up before making a video without proper information for consumers. Donā€™t know something? Donā€™t make the video reviewing the product before you do. This is something that drives me crazy, especially with Zeos. Heā€™s even advertising now that he doesnā€™t look up any info regarding the product before he reviews it.

Can anyone help me find the new Clear ā€œMagnetismā€? I canā€™t seem to find it anywhere. Zeos says itā€™s the perfect audiophile headphone and the best headphone FOCAL has ever made! Sigh. :frowning:

5 Likes

I can completely see your point.

I assume they are the exact same if Focal says it. But 2 reviewers I watched last week stated something along the lines of ā€œFocal states they are the same but I havenā€™t confirmed myself yetā€. Which kind of assumes there is a significant chance might not be the same. I donā€™t know. But I think that might be feeding those kind comments (at least thatā€™s what got me thinking). In combination with other headphone brands who make a ā€œproā€ version which is tuned differently, I donā€™t know. I guess it got me thinking.

I donā€™t know Focal very well, so maybe they were known for tweaking something just a tad different and telling people they are the same (seems like a French thing to do LMAO). But from the reactions here, apparently they donā€™t :slight_smile:. Thatā€™s plenty of confirmation for me personally. But I get it becomes funny lmao

Now another question, if one would buy these, what is the cheapest dac/amp combo one would get away with? Do you need a 1500 dac/amp stack to make these decent? Because then they would be out of my league for sure. But if they would work with a cheaper stack, lets say a modius/magnius stack, I might be able to stretch my budget.

I understand. I also asked my representative at Sweetwater before I bought my Pro, and he got back to me from Focal that they were the same headphone but with different accessories. But I have no proof of that since it was over the phone. I should have gotten it in writing.

Let @M0N Answer this for you.

2 Likes

Please do and get back to me, since you owe it me now you know. You canā€™t just state something without iron clad proof to a random internet stranger

1 Like

And sworn on the bible.

2 Likes

ā€¦signed in his first bornā€™s blood. :slight_smile:

His name is Paul Allen if no one believes me.

1 Like

Yeah, I think holdā€™s doubly true for Andrew since he runs Headphones.com. Thereā€™s really no reason he shouldnā€™t have been able to test them against each other for his review just for the sake of clarity. As for Zeos, I can kind of understand where he is coming from, wanting to do his testing without looking anything up, but he should definitely be getting his info together before he starts filming.

They pair well with a Jot2/Modius. Thatā€™s $600. I know @Falenkor said that they were fairly amp picky though.

I do not believe that is true. Heā€™s affiliated with them and runs the Headphone show for them.

2 Likes

That would be my bad. Itā€™s two different Andrews. I knew he was affiliated, and knew the site was started by an Andrew so I made 5 from 2 and 2.

Cheapest for the clear? I havenā€™t heard the mg yet, so I canā€™t say too much, but going off the normal clear, at minimum Iā€™d want something like a jot 2 + modius. Ideally I think the place to be without breaking the bank is the rnhp + bf2 combo for something neutral-natural and very capable without being over the top, or a little labs monotor + a used bryston bda 2 or holo cyan pcm a bit more neutral clean slightly analytical.

You can go higher and get rewarded for it, but you would be pushing the 2-3k ish range used with perhaps a violectric v280 + soekris 2541 (around 2k used for both) for something more studio neutral with a bit of warmth and extra space, xi broadway + schiit yggdrasil a2 (3k used) for something more warm, wide, bodied, and impactful (or swap the dac for a dangerous music convert 2 for really great grip and control with more neutral signature), or lta mz2 (w/ lps if you can find one) + veridian utopia sirius or exogal comet plus (around 3k used) for something more organic, rounded, decently linear and intimate. You could probably work down prices here by swapping to different dacs if needed. These are all combos that worked pretty well with the clear, but I canā€™t comment on how the mg responds and I can only go off the assumption itā€™s somewhat similar responding to source gear

5 Likes