šŸ”¶ Focal Clear Mg

Yeah I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to say itā€™s dark. It would definitely sound warmer or darker than an HD800S into a THX amp though.

1 Like

That, I think, is absolutely a fair thing to say. You are certainly right about that.

Thanks for your feedback.

The only reason I am considering the MG over the OG is the color. Iā€™m a big fan of the new Chestnut MG color.

Given that the frequency response of the MG is darker than the OG, I would assume I could easily compensate that with EQ.

With regards to my current HD800S->THX887 setup, I have EQā€™d it with Sonarworks, so it should be quite neutral. I donā€™t have any other experience with other headphones / amps / dacs

Thanks again

1 Like

Iā€™m biased but I have to say they really are some of the best looking headphones Iā€™ve ever seen. I never get tired of looking at them.

1 Like

Hello all,

I can buy them for around 1000ā‚¬/1100$ from a local retailer. What do you think people? Should I?

My most expensive headphone is Sundara right now. I also have Sennheiser 58x, Meze 99 Noir, X2HR, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and a few other. Iā€™m relatively new to this hobby and enjoy most of my headphones for different genres of music.

Thanks in advance

Well, guess what: I swiped their Last pair for around 900$. Pretty ridiculous.

Man, am I excited. Canā€™t wait for them to arrive.

How do you like them?

I feel like I havenā€™t spent enough time with them nor have I burned them in. I also bought a pair of Klipsch HP-3s around the same time and spent most of my time with it. For now, I feel like they are pretty mid-forward instead of neutral. If I raise the volume to have a more engaging experience it becomes shouty I guess. So it kind of reminds me @WaveTheory 's review. Still take my comment with lots of salt. Iā€™m new to this hobby.

Still I like them. I think they should be one of the best at what they do. Detail retrieval is like shooting laser beams.

1 Like

My current / latest setup with the Clear Mg. Bifrost 2 ā†’ Jot 2, with a Hart Audio Cable, headband pad (mostly to avoid getting any oils or anything directly onto the pad), and Iā€™ve settled on the Dekoni Sheepskin Fenestrated pads for the best long-term comfort while listening but also fantastic sound signature.

There are a lot of upgrade paths Iā€™d still like to listen to and discover but currently this setup justā€¦ Iā€™ve just not heard anything better than this for my personal tastes.

Iā€™m still debating wanting to try the Singxer SA-1 or Rebel Amp after @MrAyritā€™s review but this is just a really nice listen currently.

5 Likes

Mmm, you may want to try a tube route. Iā€™ve got some Utopias on hand right now, and through the Bottlehead Crack they are exceptional. Singxer feels a tad sterile in comparison.

You know itā€™s weird, I have a DarkVoice with some upgraded tubes but the Clear Mgā€™s soundā€¦ weird through it. I know theyā€™re relatively low impedance so I wonder if that has something to do with it. The 660s sound much better through them.

Iā€™m curiousā€¦how much different is the sound with the Dekoni pads? I really miss my Clear MG and had not considered a different pad. I couldnā€™t do the pads that came with them due to a skin allergy or irritation. The dyes on the Red pads were terrible.

Got the MGs a month ago now. Exactly what I wanted to compliment my neutral bright Aryaā€™s and as an upgrade from Elegiaā€™s.

Neutral warm but without losing the fine details, fantastic imaging, soundstage is perfect for mix/mastering purposes for me.

They are fantastic on the RNHP, great on the G111 for a tiny bit more width but it sounds like the lows are slightly boosted and the highs are slightly reduced. They are just a bit more neutral and refined on the RNHP.
Both G111 & RNHP are fed by a JNOG, the G111 / MGs would benefit from a Soekris or brighter DAC in general.

Highly recommend these if you like the Focal sound but without that slightly metallic sound some mention about the rest of the Focalā€™s.

3 Likes

My number one priority is comfort. The stock pads are great but I wear them so much I started to feel them breaking in to the point that my left one was verrrrrry close if not almost touching the driver, which happened to me on the Celestee.

I tried several Dekoni Focal pads (left around from when I had the Celestee and Elegia). The Elite Velours are comfortable but got a little hot after a while and really muddied the sound to my ears. I wouldnā€™t recommend them.

The Elite Hybrids for sure elevate the bass and roll off the high end but are more comfortable and I liked their depth and firmness. A decent compromise but not perfect.

Won a little money playing poker so I went for the nearly $100 Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and it was like Goldilocksā€™ Earpads. Firm, but comfortable for long listening sessions. There is still a small change in the sound, but the bass is pleasantly raised a little bit and I havenā€™t really A/B tested it that much but I do think the mids and highs are pretty true and sound as good to me. Iā€™m not an analytical listener though so donā€™t take my word for it.

For what I was looking for, they fit the bill perfectly.

3 Likes

Oh I didnā€™t know about this. I recently got SMSL SP400 to do justice to my Clear MGs but always regreted not being able to get an SA-1. As some of you may know, SP400 also suffers from low gain issue. You can use all of your volume range but having a headroom gives an feeling of safety.

2 Likes

He lost me when he said these can be sibilant. Anything can be sibilant at this point I guess. Otherwise I agree with him. Also last week I asked @ResolveReviews during the stream what did he think on Chronoā€™s take. If I remember correctly, he said mostly he agreed with Chrono but restated he prefers OG Clear.

1 Like

Alrighty folks, interested in a little bit of advice here. What tube amp would you recommend for these guys? Iā€™ve got a Bottlehead Crack with Speedballā€“it sounds good, but the low end is a little muddy. Anything out there that isnā€™t crazy price ($500-1000) that would clean it up a little down low, but keep the fun and liveliness of the Cracks mids and top end?

Iā€™m curious about the Bottlehead Mainline.

Iā€™d imagine the Mainline would be a better fit. Output impedance on Crack is pretty high for 55Ī©

Any other options I should look at?