šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

I have to get RNHP in new condition from Thomann.de for 500ā‚¬, because itā€™s very rare on the used market. The Focal Clears are often to find on ebay for 1000ā‚¬. That would cost me 1500ā‚¬ in total fmlā€¦
While I only spent 700ā‚¬ on SP200+DT1990 xD Gotta save/make some money on the sideā€¦
EDIT: whats your current setup @Antpage2 ?

I got a bunch of stuff. but my main headphones are ZMF Auteur, Hifiman Arya, Focal Elex, Sendy Aiva, Fostex Ebony, Meze Nior, 1More Triple, Sennhieser HD600. My Amp is the RNHP, SP200, Liquid Spark, and Dark Voice. and my DAC is the SMSL SU8, Schiit Modi and Grace DAC Balanced.

Wait hold up, why do you have that many dacs and amps? It seems some of them are redundant to me. Or why do you have many different headphones in general? isnā€™t it better to find a jack of all trades headphone and pair it with the best possible amp+dac?

Well my first amp was a Schiit magni, but i didnt like the treble on it and compression. so when the sp200 came out i got it. and it was an upgrade but when i bought the Arya it turned out the SP200 still added a lot of treble to it. id been hearing a lot about the RNHP i upgraded to that. it helped the Arya and the treble wasnt annoying anymore. I got the Liquid Spark for the same reason. its a warmer amp. but it wasnt as good with the Arya as the RNHP. It just shines. awesome amp. beats everything i got really. but the dark voice went up for sale and i wanted to try a tube amp. id heard so much about them. and the dark voice seems to be entry for a OTL.

Its kinda hard to get a jack of all trades headphone. its like asking to get a jack of all trades band. They all sound different and i love them all. Same thing for Amps and DACā€™s. although less so. My next purchase is gonna be a Focal Utopia headphone i think and the Bifrost r2r dacs. I heard they sound pretty good.

But dont get me wrong. You should get what your satisfied with and stick to that. I dont have many responsibilities and i have too much money lol so i ended up getting really into this hobby

1 Like

You will soon have a room full of audio equipment hehe How do you know the SP200 adds treble? Maybe itā€™s the recording being treble heavy?

Well i listen to a lot of music. some of it dark sounding. also thats what i was advised of here. by Mon actually

I always believed that THX is tonaly flat. The added treble must be due to the bad recording quality?

No its a pretty neutral amp but also a little bright.

1 Like

Youā€™re describing the once-upon-a-time thinking of many of us here at HFGF, myself included. I bought an SP200 thinking it was ā€œwire with gainā€ and I wouldnā€™t need another amp. I had an Atom previously and was very underwhelmed with the SP200.

4 Likes

Used you can find them in the 600 range at times

The soundstage if the violectric are pretty dang large for sure, they are known for being spacious

The size of the amp does not mean the size of the soundstage, I think the mk2 is pretty spacious, the lake people yes but not to the same extent, but neither are one dimensional

1 Like

would you say the RNHP is the best amp for 500$?

No, but itā€™s a great pick at that price imo

Imo thx is kinda almost colored in a way, I would argue that the jds atom is less colored lol

Interestingā€¦ what amp in that price area do you find better?

Really depends on the headphones, and if you are willing to buy used imo

Lets say ZMF headphones - Aeolus.

Probably something like the hagerman labs tuba or the liquid platinum actually imo. The rnhp does preform admirably though for sure

2 Likes

The liquid has really entered the scene, so many seem to be happy about its performance.
I was just curious, as I am aiming at a Phonitor, but is also looking at a $4-500 amp untill the Phonitor buy.
And something to go with my Aeolus and my Eikon.

1 Like

You should go tube imo.

1 Like