šŸ”· Focal Elegia

so for clarity they are pretty similiar, both sound very clean but the elegia have a more natural timbre. more acoustic sounding while the sundaras sound very clean, too clean for some people because it removes some of the texture. The speed of the midrange is actually i think better on the elegia and treble too but the bass is faster on the sundara for sure. both have the same type of bass not really tons of it but quality. The main differences i would say is that the midrange in the elegias is more forward and overall itā€™s got alot of slam/punch because of the dynamics while the sundaras are much lighter sounding with little slam in comparison. The elegia is more engaging/aggressive sounding while the sundaras are much chiller because of the lack of dynamics in comparison. When it comes to imaging PERSONALLY i preffer the sundara imaging because the imaging on focals is kinda weird. itā€™s good but i def prefer more traditional imaging.

TLDR the elegia is a step up in almost every way in my opinion

5 Likes

Yeeeeeaaaaahhh buddy! iFi Xbass + Elegia combo. Love it on the Hip Dac! Seriously vibrates on my head with some songs. Need to try it one of these days on the A3 + Zen combo. Seems like a really fun chain.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comparison! It seems the only downside is Adorama does not ships to my country, so I would need to forward them which adds to the cost. But itā€™s such a deal that I may pull the trigger. My only problem is Iā€™m lacking a little in sources right now, Iā€™m still to pull the trigger in a good DAC/Amp (Element II is the most likely). Iā€™m currently with FX DAC X6 and, although competent, Iā€™m starting to feel it lacking a little.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble and thanks for the help! Also tanks to @WaveTheoryfor the excellent review!

1 Like

the elegia is the only focal that runs perfectly without dac/amp lol. so basically iff u get it u can bypass that. but the sundara you will want a amp/dac. so itā€™s up to you how you do it. and yeah that sucks, that it needs to be forwarded if u were to buy off adorama. However ultimately if you buy it and forward it to your country itā€™s still probably cheaper than an amp/dac plus the sundara

Itā€™s a shame they donā€™t ship outside the US, or I would have bought a pair already. My local retail is ā‚¬970, with Amazon being the lowest at ā‚¬749 new or ā‚¬649 used. I could get them at the local store for Adorama price levels if I traded in my LCD2-CB though.

Decisions, decisionsā€¦

I was ready to get these too until the shipping restrictions kicked in.

Drop only sells the Elex to America too, itā€™s odd that a French company does not support Europe more.

Feels badman, when the Elegia has a Swedish official retail price of ā‚¬1,100 too :anguished:

Elex is intended for the US market only. Focal saw it as a good opportunity to collab with Drop so they could expand their market.

Hi hello, Iā€™ll ship to whatever country as long as youā€™re willing to pay shipping. $425 for elegias. Someone else is interested, but if that falls through Iā€™ll let you know. Mine are pretty much mint. Posted in the Buy/sell thread.

Sooooo these are $399. I basically have to get these, right? Iā€™m assuming these would be just fine on a Grace SDAC + JDS Labs Atom?

3 Likes

Lol

Yep would work without issue

Yes you do! :crazy_face:

And yeah, these are super easy to drive. Your dac and amp will do fine.

I donā€™t know why this made me laugh so much but it did, haha.

I just might pull the trigger on these at such a great price for a good, detailed closed-back can.

Also great write-up, @WaveTheory!

EDIT: Okay, Iā€™m in for a pair!

6 Likes

:partying_face:

Just picked up an open box from Adorama andā€¦ wow. Theyā€™re the best headphones Iā€™ve heard, beating the Sundara, E-Mu teak, and DT 880 600ohm for effortless detailed mids and macro dynamics with a touch of bass EQ. Anyone have insight as to why these are discontinued?

10 Likes

ArrivƩe!

Way too early first impressions:

1. Love the clamp force, I prefer it a little tighter
  2. Fortunately, it uses the same cable as my HP-3, so I can use my Periapt cable
  3. Crazy detail - love my 177X GO but itā€™s already surpassed; I can hear details beyond any of my headphones
  4. Decided to play around with EQ using the Loki - unlike the 177X GO these respond VERY well to EQ and pushing up the bass a little bit gives a SUPER satisfying result for me. Will continue to listen both with and without EQ
15 Likes

Because Focal has discontinued the model and theyā€™re getting rid of inventory. Perhaps to make way for a replacement.

2 Likes

You guys werenā€™t lying about the bass in relation to the seal on the ears. I wear glasses and Iā€™ve been doing some A/B testing: With my glasses off the bass is great, but as soon as I even begin to slide my glasses underneath the bass drops by like 40% lol. It is straight voodoo. It doesnā€™t bother me and Iā€™m making some adjustments with EQ, but itā€™s totally true.

Yeah that really caused mixed reactions initially, but eventually people figured out the trend lol

1 Like

Do you have any initial thoughts on the Elegia vs. HP3? Are you enjoying 1 significantly more than the other or still to new to tell?