🔷 Focal Elegia

This is the official thread for the Focal Elegia

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: No
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: Hifiguides Amazon Link

[Reviews]…

How does the sound signature of the elegia differ from the elex? @M0N

So the elegia is a bit more neutral sounding, with a bit less bass response and w shaped sound. It is a bit less open sounding of course, but still retains a fair amount of the focal imaging and soundstage being closed which is very impressive, overall if you like the focal sound and want a closed back, the elegia is def worth it

6 Likes

i enjoy the hell out of the Elex. As soon as i put them on and hit play on anything i was like “ohhhhhh this is what open headphones are supposed to sound like”

1 Like

Yeah if you like the focal sound, I think the elegia is up your alley if you wanted the closest thing to a closed elex lol. There are other good closed backs for the price too

1 Like

apparently focal will be at NYC can jam, may need to go now

What other closed backs would you recommended?

I mean, there’s alot of stuff I like, what type of sound are you looking for, what budget, and what would you be driving it with?

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure…

Here’s what I currently own.
For home use, I go with open back since sound leakage is not a big concern.
But for work, working in a open-space environnement, I need something closed so I can mute everyone out and most importantly for them not to ear me…

Current Home (open back) headphones

• Focal Elex (Current Daily Driver. Love them.)
  • Sennheiser HD 6XX (Got them, after my 880 pro broke… had them for about a year now… I like them, but I don’t love them)
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 ohms (broken cable, but really did enjoy these cans, were my daily driver for a good 7+ years)

Current Work (closed back) headphones

• Sennheiser HD598 CS (Daily driver at work)
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
  • Mee m6 pro (these are IEM, I juste prefer over the ear headphones…)

TL/DR :
Goal : I love my Focal Elex for home use, but I can’t bring them to work.
Would love to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD598 CS for work. I need closed back for work.

Budget : None set : willing to go high for the right pair. Not closed to going higher than what I paid for my Elex. In fact, I’m eyeing a pair of HD800S right now (The big soundstage is tempting me…) So, I should perhaps put that cash towards a good closed pair for work use.

Driving : Currently only using my cell phone (One Plus 7 Pro) with my Senn 598 CS, but I have Topping D10 + Liquid Spark stack at home that doesn’t get any use. So I could potentially bring this to work. Or maybe I would look for a DAC + Amp portable combo.

1 Like

Hmmm, in that case, I would assume you would want a quality pair lol, what type of music do you listen to? I have an idea of something you might find interesting and it would suit your situation well

I’m all ears! :slight_smile:

Really appreciate the help by the way! Thanks a lot.

My main used at home is while playing guitar (through Axe-FX III) and gaming (again Axe FX used as amp/DAC)

Type of music I listens to :

• Progressive Metal (Dream Theater, Haken, Pain of Salvation)
  • Progressive Rock (Pink Floyd, old Genesis…)
  • Rock / Hard Rock / Heavy Metal… (Extreme, Ozzy, Journey, Whitesnake, GNR, etc…)
    -Also quite enjoy some nice vocalist/folk/acoustic like White Buffalo.
    -As well as some OST, anything from Zimmer, Audio Machine, Ennio Morricone, J. Williams, M. Kamen, etc.)
    -Lots of Instrumental guitarist (Nick Johnston, Andy Timmons…)
    -Very very rarely but it happens (some Rap.)

It mostly evolves around the rock - metal genre / sub genre. But when working and not critically listening, I like to listen to lots of different things.

Hmmm, I was thinking the aeon 2 closed imo. They are super comfortable, neutral yet enjoyable signature, and are portable and isolate well, I think they are just awesome all rounders for the price. If you wanted something warmer tilted and thick the campfire cascades come to mind, those are sweet as well. I do think you would want to consider a dac/amp to pair with either though

2 Likes

The Aeon 2 closed looks very interesting!

Now I have to ask two questions though.

1- recommended portable amp/DAC?
2- any clue how they would compare to the Focal Elex?

1 Like

Well, what range are you looking in price wise? And also a dac amp or a dap?

Compared to the elex, I don’t think they are as open (duh) but I do think the aeon 2 actually has pretty good soundstage for a closed back which was impressive. They are just as quick as the elex but with more impact, but less dynamic (but still plenty fine), I think overall they are neutral yet enjoyable, and pretty refined. I think they have about similar detail to the elex but do present it a bit differently. Timbre wise they are both good but not excellent. I do think its worth a try, as it can be fun to have a planar in your collection as I think it extend better than the elex in the bass and also has a different type of sound. Comfort wise I think they are very comfy compared to the elex and I think they are better built and more comfortable than the elex. They are also more portable and come with nice accessories. I do think they are a bit more picky amp wise than the elex but you can still run them just fine from a portable.

1 Like

Well it’s to used with my phone, again price not a concern. But I supposed since it wouldn’t be for the main used, I’m not looking to pay so much. Anywhere up to 250 is fine. I suppose portability is key here.

You are really getting me excited about those Aeon 2! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Something like the xduoo xd05+ might be worth to look at. I really like my aeon 2 closed, I sold my ether c flow 1.1 because they were significantly better lol

Still have the Elegia?

Initially I was looking at those, since I like my Elex.

Still think they are comparable? Or Aeon would be your go to?

So I was considering selling my elegia once I got the a2c, but I realized that I like them both. I like the overall signatures of both of them. I find myself going for the a2c more just because of convenience, but both have their place imo

This the combo you were talking about?

xDuoo XD-05 32bit/384KHz DSD DAC Portable Audio Headphone Amplifier (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019SM6JTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_ma1mEbT022Z4F

I was referring to this one