šŸ”· Focal Elegia

Oh, I forgot that I donā€™t eq the elegia or the dt1990 when I had them.
I think the elegia sound good as they are. If the track has bass the elegia will provide it. They slam pretty hard.
And the plastic build is probably to keep the weight down. Itā€™s a closed back so you kind of have to keep that in mind with materials.
Some of the issues you describe are probably the thx amp. Maybe the dac? Havenā€™t used it tho.

2 Likes

I thought of what would be most appropriate to listen to with French headphonesā€¦I decided on Django Reinhardt and Electro-Swing. They just happen to sound great these too :stuck_out_tongue:

If you havenā€™t listened to Django Reinhardt yet, I would highly recommend listening to one of his albums at some point.

5 Likes

+1 for a good sealed being required for good bass response. I didnā€™t end up trying to increase the clamp force like you mentioned you did. I actually ended up folding some small pieces of paper and shoving them into where the headphones articulate on the headband, forcing the headphones themselves to point inwards towards the back. It could just be the shape of my head but for anyone who has the Elegia try pushing on the center back of both headphones while playing music and see if that increases the bass, again ymmv. Before this mod I felt the bass was always present but merely analytical and not so fun. With it though it brings the bass up a decent amount. The Elegia are masters at producing an accurate controlled sound so they deliver some insanely accurate and now fun bass with the mod. Curious if anyone else has come across the same phenomenon?

4 Likes

Igorrr is French. Just saying. :chicken: :metal:

2 Likes

Purchased at 429$ Adorama hard to pass that up

9 Likes

Nice, curious to hear what you think about them :+1:

2 Likes

Today I am doing SU-8 to LP to Elex. Hmmmm. :+1:

4 Likes

How are these? Like a Elear but closed?

1 Like

Itā€™s more similar to the tuning of the clear with the technicalities of the elex imo, itā€™s pretty nice. Itā€™s pretty impressive for the price, much prefer it over the elear

7 Likes

Havent heard the elear, but id say, no from what others have said.

1 Like

What Mon said.

1 Like

$690 Dayyumā€¦ Iā€™ll keep looking.

They were on sale for 400 ish from adorama camera, if you look around you can reliably find them around 500-450

2 Likes

Just got these on sale at Adorama, currently running Magni/Modi 2U but looking to upgrade those. What DAC/AMP stack or combo unit would pair well with these headphones? Budget is around $500.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Let me kno if you sellin that stack you got

1 Like

I think if you wanted to upgrade, something like the archel 2.5 pro and the enog 2 pro are great if you want something neutral, clean, and clear. If you wanted something with a bit more body and impact, the asgard 3 with a dac like the topping e30 is very nice for something a bit warmer

6 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™ll look into the Asgard since that has preamp out for my powered monitors.
Is there a benefit in running these balanced with a balanced dac/amp?

So imo it really depends on the amp. There are both good single ended and good balanced amps, so no unless you get a balanced amp

2 Likes

Thanks @M0N for your take on these. I am also part of the crowd snatching these up from Adorama. I just wanted a neutral closed back to compliment my TH-X00 Ebonyā€™s and one with decent isolation from external noise. This and my TH-X00 should be it for me when it comes to closed backs since Iā€™m generally not a big fan of them. However, sometimes circumstances call for one.

6 Likes

Just gotā€™em in the mail. Better late than never (8:30pm EST, thanks for nothin FedEx).

Iā€™ll provide some takes later on sound and performance, but just need to point out how impressed I am with the unboxing experience. Great little case and first impression of the headphones is of a quality way above that sale price, for sure.

11 Likes