šŸ”· Focal Elegia

I find that using the EQ is fun for me. I havenā€™t been using EQ since I got my new laptop this past Christmas but Sunday night I finally broke down and installed the Peace EQ/APO. And I am right back in the fun zone again. I agree with @Dzaw that the Elegia is very receptive to EQ. I have been using the Elegia a lot this past week and now that I have EQ capability back I have been having tremendous fun with them again.

I think overall, rating a headphone depends on how much EQ needs to be applied in order for you to truly enjoy it. If just a little or none at all, the headphone is a hit. If you have to really EQ the crap out of a headphone to enjoy it, itā€™s probably the wrong headphone. At least that is the way I have been going about it. Itā€™s been working out pretty well so far.

1 Like

Here is some advice given me on this very topic, but in another thread.

2 Likes

The sligher the eq is the better it is for you.

That is my eq for the hd600.
I like them on stock ,i love them with that change .itā€™s a sight eq.
Thatā€™s a big win.

The elegia is also good for me to some extent .

I donā€™t deviate to much from the stock sound.

Overhall the hd600 is the best headphone i ever heard. Tuningwise.

The elegia is a keeper

As you long you donā€™t deviate to much from the stock sound ,keep the headphone.
If you do more eq than i did for my elegia. Return your headphone :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

Ok

Thank you
@Cardo_Jeremy
@Dzaw
@Raptor168

Ok, so my follow up question is, what makes headphones sound better than cheaper options? Like whatā€™s the difference between an xm4, a focal elegia and then maybe a beyerdynamic 770. are the dollars going into intangibles like brand, build quality and comfort, or do more dollars get you better sound technology, independent of tuning?

Unfortunately, I travel around a lot and I donā€™t have the time or stability to develop a true audiophile set up. Iā€™m looking for a Catch all headphone that will just enhance my listening experience over the conventional headphones available at your big buck stores.

I was under the impression that more dollars = better engineering. So 349 USD, the focal elegia were probably the best closed back headphone I could get for the money.

The honest truth is higher price isnā€™t always better.
No matter The price if you canā€™t bare the sound for more than 10 minutes this audio gear wonā€™t be worth it .

Here the elegia are 350 $/ā‚¬ is an excellent deal .
On a technical level it s good.
But nothing can guarantee that you will be hooked by the sound.
Because even if you get the elegia for 70$/ā‚¬ for example and tou still donā€™t like the sound on stock eq or equed it s gonna be a 70$/ā‚¬ loss.
Tho at the retail price of 900$/ā‚¬ i wouldnā€™t recommend it .

Company will always take a margin for the branding .
When you buy a elegia or a wh1000xm4 you can be sure that a part of you pay goes for the ā€œsonyā€ and focal " .

for engineering ,build and comfort, i donā€™t know.

Basically there is a fine balance between overpriced/on point/ price to performance.

We can be factual on if the price asked is on part with the technical performances of a headphone.

However,i personally think that technical performance isnā€™t the best best way to approach sound.
Especially when someone may like it and others donā€™t .

A good question to ask yourself,
ā€œare you comfortable paying that price for this sound?ā€

For example, i got my kph30i for 40ā‚¬ 30+(10 transport)

When i hear it ,i can comfortably say that even at 100ā‚¬ i wouldnā€™t have any regrets.

As for the elegia, i got them as bundle ( elegia + dragonfly black) 450ā‚¬

To me it was the only way i could grab a elegia new and a that ā€œlowā€ price.

I can comfortably say that 600ā‚¬ would be on point and higher than that would be overpriced.

As for my sennheizer hd600 and sundara.
670ā‚¬ for both.

I Would happily say that the retail price of the sundara (500$/ā‚¬) is on point.
However ,i got them for 350ā‚¬. Fantastic price.

the hd600 is (400ā‚¬ at retail) it s a nice price.
But i got them for( 320ā‚¬) it s banger.

The hd600 are my daily driver.

To judge the price of a sound itā€™s mainly a matter of preferences.

That being said , my way seeing things might no be the best according to other people.

The hd600 are easy to drive , i power them out my phone and it s loud enough

In you situation.

I guess the elegia might do it :person_shrugging:
The kph30i might also do the coffee

It s when i got my hd600 that i realized what i was looking for and what to search.
I because i got the hd600 that i could fully enjoy the sundara.
if you want to get into it more seriously afterwards.

I m pretty much sure that the hd600 will guide you to the promised land

How does the isolation on Elegias compare vs closed Aeons or closed Beyers? Because my current cans, the Audeze LCD-2 Classic Closed cannot block a lot of outside noises, and itā€™s driving me insane, the neighborā€™s dogs are so loud, and the city doesnā€™t care about noise, so Iā€™m about just considering arson to shut them up for good.

I hope dogs for dinner taste good.

I canā€™t compare the 3 however i can compare the elegia to the Sony wh1000xm3/4.

The elegia would be good enough provided that you crank a little bit up the sound.

Tho the wh1000xm4 would be on point for your situation.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but thereā€™s just something weird about the current implementation of ANC that just makes the overall sound of music feel very strange ime, so at the moment I would really want to get the best passive noise isolation, without sacrificing a lot of sound quality.

Like, I know the drummerā€™s beyers, the DT 770 M are super isolating, but they have dead bass because of sealed vents, so I would really love to know if anyone here has some input regarding mid to high-mid tier closed cans with very well implemented passive isolation. So far the best contenders, according to reviews, are the Elegias, the Aeon Closed, and Beyer DT 1770/177X.

Others have suggested IEMs, but I voice chat a lot, and since many others have also mentioned that IEMs make your voice resonate a lot inside your skull when speaking, idk about themā€¦

Thanks in advance for your time.

Prior to my Elegias I was in Audiotechnica ATH-M40X

The EQ I use on them are presets meant to emulate the 2018 over ear Harmon target (which may or may not suit your tastes - mileage will definitely vary). Therefore, it could be said that they were equivalently tuned (or nearly so) after EQ.

With the Elegias, there is so much better soundstage, spacial recreation, isolation, seperation. Pinpointing where individual instruments and voices are is easier.

They are also much more resolving. I listening recordings I thought I knew very well that now have a whole world of new sounds and information in them I was unaware of.

Finally, they sound a bit more ā€œnaturalā€. Iā€™ve played in a jazz/rock ensemble, so I know what itā€™s like to be in the room while we played ā€œIn the Moodā€ and ā€œBasic Basieā€. I know what trumpets, trombones, saxiphones, etc sound like when youā€™re in the room with the real instrument. The Elegias sound just a touch more like the real thing - even though the (tuning + EQ) FRC is ā€œequalā€.

2 Likes

For an iem i can recommend you closed eyes.
The etymotic er2se or xr variant.
Passive isolation 30dbā€¦
The best part is that they sound really neutral so you can eq them to suit your taste better.
They are around 100$

2 Likes

Would you happen to have tried IEMs for discord calls? Would it make speaking sound awkward for the user?

Thanks.

Just received the elegias. My first impressions are:

1. Theyā€™re amazing. So much better than anything Iā€™ve listened to. I donā€™t have my DAC yet but I think once I have that this will be my go to combo.
  2. I like the EQ functionality, it works well when changing between styles/types of listening. I find a small bass boost is necessary but on focals website they say around 24 hours of runtime is required before the bass really kicks in. Even so, as it is right now with a preset EQ these are leagues better than what Iā€™m used to.
  3. They are massive, definitely not as portable as I would like but probably manageable.
  4. The cord is SO SHORT. why?

Anyways, I appreciate all the advice and education, Iā€™ll probably follow up in 72 hours once Iā€™ve become well acquainted with the headphones :slight_smile:

@Cardo_Jeremy Iā€™ll probably pick up the etymotic er2se soon!

1. I wasnā€™t lucky enough for a woman to say that to mešŸ¤£
2 Likes

Yeah, Focalā€™s stock cables are kind of a joke. In fact, theyā€™re kind of a running joke. Did you get the stiff plastic coated round one, or the even more horrid rectangular weave-wrapped one thatā€™s two cables wrapped side by side? Theyā€™re both terrible, but the rectangular one I hear is the worse of the two (I got the plastic round one). I ordered a Hart cable when I ordered the headphone, having been forewarned. If I had known you were so close to pulling the trigger, Iā€™da warned you about them.

I am pretty satisfied with Hart for the replacement. Itā€™s not spactacular, a little microphonic, and even at 4ā€™ + the interconnect (adds like 6"), I still wish it were a little longer, but to get longer from them you have to wait for their custom shop.

Periapt also has a pretty good reputation, though I have yet to try them. There are, of course plenty of very cheap chinese cables - some of which I have heard some good things about. Also, as with everything in this hobby, The sky is the limit - there are vendors making cables for hundreds, and even thousands of dollars from exotic materials like graphene cores with pure fine silver coatings and all such sundry. Some believe high buck cables improve the sound, but I havenā€™t got the cash to try that sort of thing out for myself. Even the staunchest cable roller will admit they have a very small impact - smaller and more subtle than any other change you can make to your setup.

1. Focal took the" itā€™s not the length but the thickness that matter "way too seriously :sweat_smile:
2 Likes

I have a local dude here for small things. I try and buy local when I can. Iā€™m going to pay him a visit tomorrow. He suggested these headphones but was sold out of them himself. I find that for some genres the towel over your ears analogy is quite accurate. The equalizer REALLY changes the way the song sounds. Like it goes from atrocious to glorious, with very little in-between. it is interesting.

I am still trying to narrow down the filter(s) in my preset most responsible for the clarity increase. Thereā€™s got to be a cut somewhere (I think in the upper bass area, but I could be off track) that just lets the rest shine through.

Also, the website saying the bass will improve after 24 hours of runtime - they werenā€™t lying, but it took mine nearly a week of listening for 10+ hours a day. I put them on this morning, and had to adjust my EQ to take out a little of the bass. They just felt boomier and thumpier than I remember them. Or, maybe my brain and ears are getting accustomed to them? Either way, I had to ease up on the bass a little.

Itā€™s always a good sign when less EQ sounds better, I guess.

1 Like

Yes, the stock Focal cable is an absolute joke. I happened to get the stiff, janky, pathetic plastic coated round one. I could never un-jank it (believe me I tried!) it sounded terrible and had tonal imbalance from side to side. It went into the garbage. I went with the Flow cable terminated in XLR to solve that problem. I wanted to go with the Hart, but frankly I was not blown away by the one I got for another set here. So after a slight venture with an Amazon replacement cable, I went with The Flow cable, which for me, sounded better.

And it took about 7-10 days for them to settle in. Now they are good to go. A definite keeper, these are.

So I am trying these for about a week without EQ. Iā€™ve been looking a lot at the downsides of EQ lately, and decided to try living without for a while to see if my impressions hold up after letting my ears / brain burn in to the sound of these cans without inturruption.

So far, I am of mixed opinion. Iā€™ve been at it for some 4-6 ish hours. I miss the extra bass (not the thump, so much as the slow decaying boom Even though these are headphones, I would describe the bass as something you can feel in your chest as much as hear with your ears), but thatā€™s not really a /problem/.

With some tracks, I find these a little honky/ shouty. At first, I thought it might be sibilance, but no, thereā€™s just a trumpet horn quality added to some mids/ upper mids. Not all, but especially my beloved female vocalsā€¦ Reference tracks:

I am committed to a week without EQ before I A/B test them again. Even if it turns out I prefer these with EQ, I am hoping this will help teach me what to look forward to in any future upgrades.