šŸ”· Focal Elegia

I do use it and I like it. Iā€™ve seen that controversy, but I donā€™t know that Rogue Amoeba ever addressed it.

Aside from the AutoEQ presets, SoundSource can also use plug-ins like the all ones Garage Band uses and also the Audeze Reveal presets. It is simply excellent, updated frequently, and worth every penny of its low price.

1 Like

Excellent, Iā€™m going to follow up with their support about the nature of Parametric presets but otherwise Iā€™m sold. If it can rival what Qudelix presets can do, it will be a marvel

1 Like

This is indeed the droid weā€™re looking for, see the response I got from their support. Literally about 30 min after I sent the request over to them!

"
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about your interest in our software. As noted by the Reddit user florinandrei in the post you shared, that issue was fixed in a development build two years ago. The profiles use full parametric EQ and match the dataset provided by the AutoEq project.

If youā€™re interested in trying SoundSource to make sure it works to your satisfaction, you can download a free trial of SoundSource from this page on our site:

Keep in mind, while using the trial, after 20 minutes of use, noise is overlaid on any audio being adjusted by SoundSource. Quit and relaunch SoundSource to reset the trial as many times as you want for further testing time.

I hope thatā€™s helpful information but let me know if you have any other questions.

ā€“
Aaron Wasserman
Rogue Amoeba
"

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty a pretty forthright response.

Looks like you are good-to-go and can use other DACs and Amps in addition to the very good Qudelix 5K.

1 Like

Yea color me impressed with Rogue Amoeba, canā€™t wait to try out SoundSource. Parametric presets are a game changer for a lot of HP like Elegia that have great technical capability and are otherwise highly desirable, but suffer from a widely unlikeable stock FR. Iā€™m pretty sure statistically Elegia has to have one of the least well liked stock FRs, but then applying oratory1990s profile would probably catapult this HP to most peoplesā€™ default fav closed back in the price bracket.

What Elegia does that most other closed backs of similar pricing donā€™t have is the cup treatment - some sort of strategically placed padding behind the driver, that gives it this really nice decay and extra soundstage. Once EQā€™d to a decent FR, suddenly this HP becomes best in price bracket for closed back, no competition that I am aware of. Add in its portability, drivability, looks for office work, comfort, and idk how youā€™d recommend a different set for the same use case beyond just major stock FR preference.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been late to the game with getting the elegia but could not pass up a good deal at adorama. These are the best closed back I have ever heard. Really enjoy the tuning.

3 Likes

I love mine. You should look into doing a pad swap

I did this and Itā€™s a really nice improvement over the stock pads.

1 Like

To be honest I kinda like the stock pads they are comfortable and the bass is perfect.

1 Like

Elegiaā€™s have a great sale right now and I miss the Elex I sold. Is this a good replacement?

I currently own HD600, Anandaā€™s and LCD2F for my main rotation. Are these a good complement?

Any idea how the Elegiaā€™s scale on better dac /amp?

Anyone try these on a portable gaming system?

Thanks!

I picked these up and I didnā€™t find them to be anything special. From your collection I donā€™t know if they do anything that your other headphones donā€™t do but that is just my opinion and YMMV.
To be honest though the only closed backs I have found that I like so far have been the T60 argons.

1 Like

Theyā€™re very easy to drive; I do not find them to scale much. And I much prefer the HD600 and Anandas, so unless you particularly need a closed-back, Iā€™d just send me the money instead.

2 Likes

Haha well thanks for saving my wallet! Their only use would be late night gaming when everyone is sleeping, but the wife is a heavy sleeper anyways.

I think this is pretty spot on. For $399 or whatever they are now? I donā€™t think you can beat that. I just spent most of the morning in them and they are great.

1 Like

I have a heavily modded pair of closed backs. NAD HP50ā€™s. Mods made them very competitive, but ultimately they lose out to hd600ā€™s in resolution. Is the Elegia able to scale to at least compete in resolution with the hd600/Ananda/LCD2F?

To me at least I like the Elegia slightly more than the HD600 family. I have the EDXS and while Elegia competes well, I think the EDXS wins overall. From what I can gather the Ananda is a step up from that. And realistically it doesnā€™t compete with the LCD. I havenā€™t heard the LCD family yet, but it makes sense that this would be the case.

Having said all that, I still use the Elegia a lot as they fill a particular use case and I think they sound great. As I write this I am on the Radiance. Honestly, I say get these! I feel the Radiance is an awesome headphone. I know itā€™s a price bump, but well worth it in my opinion.

1 Like

Heh ā€“ I still reach for my HP50s before the Elegias, mostly because they donā€™t need EQ to sound amazing. How were yours modded?

Mine have been modified to run balanced with dual 3.5mmā€™s, and I also circumvented the PCBā€™s present in each ear cup. Lastly, I added user brainwavz pads;I forget which one.

This boosted resolution a good amount with minimal changes to the presentation.