šŸ”¶ Focal Elex

Think I just found my new favorite way to enjoy the elex

9 Likes

Absolutely stunning :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

2 Likes

Just saw these are now 600$ on drop. Well worth the money. I like the Clear better, but itā€™s not 1k better. lol.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve seen the clear on sale for about 1k. So would you say itā€™s worth the extra $400 at that price over the Elex?

Iā€™m also little concerned about the QC issues. Clears have a 3 year warranty as opposed to the 1 year from DROP.

Iā€™d say its worth it, but it depends on the DAC and amp you have as well. I like both headphones but the Clear is the better of the two. How much better? Dependsā€¦

1 Like

Finally got my refurbished referbed elex from drop. I had to send them back due to a dead driver but hey they were $500 bucks with a warranty. For the short time Iā€™ve listened to them tonight all I have to say is these things are stupidā€¦in a good way specially for the price. Still judging them but they might dethrone my Aeon RT as one of my more comfortable go to headphones.

3 Likes

i swear 50% of all elex have a dead driver. my first pair had one on arrival too.

Yeah Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a drop thing or focal thing. Either way Iā€™m glad drop doesnā€™t have an issue taking care of their customers

Iā€™d be surprised if the agreement between Drop and Focal was for Drop to perform QA checks themselves. For some reason, Focal really seems to not care about the Elex or something. A while ago there was also the controversy of the Elex replacement pads having no consistency and being way off spec. That ended up taking Drop more than a year to resolve.

Dang I didnā€™t hear about the pad thing. I guess I donā€™t blame focal for not caring as it eats into their lineup.

Luckily (knock on wood) my Elexā€™s have always worked perfectly. I read about a fair amount of people not buying them because of statements like ā€œ50% of all Elexā€™s have a dead driverā€. Obviously if that was even remotely true, these would have gone away long ago.
Too bad for the folks missing out on a great headphone due to online chatter.

There were also people that received only one pad after ordering a replacement pair.

That was a long time ago. You definitely get a pair for 60 bucks now. Btw prefer them to original after break- in. A bit more dense than originals and sound was slightly more bright. I actually put them under a few books for a few days to get them softer and it worked.
Problem with originals is that they become too soft and the sound can change dramatically as the drivers become closer to you ears.

I havenā€™t tried the new replacements, but I did order a pair and put them in the drawer.

Anyone have experience with the hifiman HE 400i ( pre 2020) with the rebel? How is the sound vs other amps.

Probably would get a faster answer in the Rebel thread.

Oops! Im having a bad day. Lol Thought i was in the Rebel thread.

No worries Iā€™d just be unhappy if you didnā€™t get an answer for a question that can probably be easily answered.

1 Like

Hey everyone Iā€™m loving my focal elex. I got them on sale from drop for $550 and man what a deal. Insane value.

I wanted to know out of curiosity I know the elex is specifically tuned with its pads. Has anyone pad rolled it?

What pads and what results did you get?

The only pads Iā€™ve looked at for Elex were the Dekoniā€™s.

The Reviews and Discussion tabs from when Drop sold them might be a good place to start.

1 Like