šŸ”¶ Focal Elex

you can call me Ant, everyone does, Ant is short for Anthony.

well thats great then everything seems to be working out. but its 570$ with tax its 603. and i can get a 1 year warrenty on them for 50$ altogether its 658$ do you guys think thats a good deal?

1 Like

Itā€™s cheaper then what they retailed for, and itā€™s up to you rather you want a warranty. I think focal products are very solid and I donā€™t feel like my pairs would break that easily

is there anyone who sells replacement pads for the elex?

Think you would have to get Clear pads as replacements. I donā€™t believe the Elex pads are sold by themselves. They are pretty pricey though. Like $200 per pair.

do the elex have sibilance?

Not really. They do have a bit of a 6k dip though that leads them for some people to sound a bit metallic, but I donā€™t really think itā€™s an issue

1 Like

Yeah, focal designs their pads around their headphones, so padswapping does not typically go well with non focal pads

ive been watching reviews and Joshua Valor says they are foward, but Z says they have a lot of soundstage. i thought they were the same thing?

1 Like

Something being forward is where something is very present, typically more intimate sounding. Also the phrase ā€œmore soundstageā€ is confusing as well, as it could mean more width, more depth, more range, etc. If I compare the clear (which has a somewhat similar stage) with the sendy, the elex is not as intimate as the sendy, but is still fairly close but has a pretty wide range, so vocals can be intimate and instruments more distanced. Very good performance

i got this feeling focal or drop are gonna come out with the focal eclair or something at a cheaper or same price in a week and im gonna be sitting here bitter. Or some unknown chinese company are gonna come out with the next amazing god tier headphones and im gonna get sick.

I donā€™t think so, focal is pretty proud of their products, and also the elear really isnā€™t that great, so I donā€™t think it will happen. I have not heard a chi fi or other headphone like a focal, and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve heard a headphone that sounds like a focal that isnā€™t a focal. I think youā€™re pretty safe, but thatā€™s my option. I canā€™t predict the future, but I donā€™t think I would be bitter about getting the elex. I have for the most part gotten over the hype of a new budget beater product coming out, as I have just found them to be not as great as people say. They just meet their price, and are good for the price, but not some giant killer as they are typically made out to be

Edit: on that note, how goes the m570 vs the sendy lol

i gotta say thanks for all your help Mon, youā€™ve been great about answering my many questions lol.

one thing ive noticed is these headphones make their way onto Ebay quite often. why are people always selling theirs? Ive already decided to buy it but im gonna wait for a cheaper price. i check Ebay completed auctions and they seem to sell for 400-500$ ive even seen some for sell for 300$

One thing i cant wait for is to try them on a tube. i really liked how tubes made my music sound when i got a cheap one. with this being a dynamic their should be no problems like i had on the planars. think iā€™ll get a dark voice :smiley:

1 Like

About the tubesā€¦ They donā€™t take well lol. They really change (imo for not the best). Probably because of their low impedance

A fair number of people buy them and imo initially dislike them or find them boring and sell them, but TBH you really have to use them for a bit and people tend to really enjoy them after. They arenā€™t an immediate wow type, but they are really good. But thatā€™s just a theory, a game theory

1 Like

would a hybrid tube be good?

Yeah that would be just fine imo

So I decided to come back and give my own final thoughts on the Elex.

The TLDR is that they are great. I still love them.
They have a way of being able to push the treble and bass extension thatā€™s just so impressive to me. It creates an exceptional feeling of contrast between those high details and low bass notes.

But I donā€™t really want to go into a bunch of cliche terms to describe the sound (Iā€™m tempted), but they are just really good. So so good.

But I did promise to talk about the bass clipping ā€œissueā€.

If you want to watch a Christopher Nolan film or Blade Runner 2049 at high volumes, then you might have an issue, due to the driver clipping with some of the crazy sub-bass at high volumes.
Thatā€™s not to say they do bad sub-bassā€¦ itā€™s quite the opposite. They have exceptional sub-bass and low end performance in general.

I think the issue occurs as a side-effect of having a dynamic driver producing sub-bass that every other dynamic headphone Iā€™ve personally listened to canā€™t reproduce with the same extension. So if you push too much low-end into the driver, itā€™ll just get physically pushed to itā€™s physical limits. The issue ONLY really occurs with extremely! high volumes with mid-bassā€¦ but if there is a lot of high sub-bass like the aforementioned movie tracks, then youā€™ll hit limits earlier. You can still listen to them just fine at moderately high/reasonable volumes, but you might have to baby the volume a bit and experiment in those cases to prevent the clipping. Again, Iā€™d have to emphasize that Iā€™ve only found this to be the case with a few movie tracks at most. 99% of content, you can pretty much crank these as high as Iā€™d ever wantā€¦ Also mind that this is running off the monolith thx desktop amp balancedā€¦ so thereā€™s no amp limits on how high Iā€™d ever want to push the volume.

Regarding amps they do scale with Amp quality. They are not super hard to drive, but still a bit less sensitive than the HD 660s from doing some A/B testing, despite the lower impedance. I have an old Fiio E9 plugged into an Echo on my night stand and they donā€™t shine nearly as much as they do off the Monolith THX. But they do sound surprisingly pretty good running straight from my iPhone 6S headphone port. But honestly, I think probably most people wouldnā€™t find them to be remarkably a lot better than something like the Senn HD 660s if youā€™re running them off a lower quality amp. Still better, but only marginal, when compared to running both of them balanced off a higher quality amp where the differences are more obvious and stark.

I think the LCD2C is more comparable, but only if your taste leans HEAVILY towards something very laid back and dark in comparison. IMO, the Elex matches the LCD2C pound for pound in bass extension, while producing a cleaner transition into the mids. And it adds the very impressive treble extension to top it offā€¦ I think it just sounds more capable in pretty much every respect. (Iā€™ve tried Metal571ā€™s EQ setup with EQ APO for the LCD2C and they still donā€™t measure up to the Elex IMO).

I think given a certain mood or situation (Watching Blade Runner 2049 at high volumes) Iā€™d probably pick up and use the LCD2C over the Elexā€¦ but in every other case, I think the Elex is more pleasing to listen to. For what itā€™s worth, when Death Stranding comes out next month, Iā€™ll probably use the LCD2C and blast the volume pretty high to get immersed into that game, but as a daily driver, listening to music, watching most movies or gaming, I definitely prefer the Elex. If I only had the Elex, I would probably still love using them for when I play Death Stranding, but Iā€™d just be less liberal with the volume to prevent the clipping.

Ohā€¦ and they are comfortable as hellā€¦ Pads donā€™t get hot (leather) or itchy (certain types of cloth), and they are very deep and big. Less clamp than the LCD2C or Senn 600 headphones. Philip X2 might be a bit more comfortable, but their pads can get itchy over time for me personally, so Iā€™d still give it to the Elex.

These are a huge winner in my opinion. Just find a nice looking pair on Ebay and buy them used, I personally recommend them. Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll be able to really do any better for under $1000. I am so curious now to try the ZMF Aeolus now that Iā€™ve heard how good dynamic drivers can get.

8 Likes

I think you also might really like the dynamic range they can produce from what you describe. Focal is known for impressive dynamics

Mon is the Man. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

All brought to you by boredom lol

5 Likes

does anyone know when thus headphone was released?