šŸ”· Focal Radiance

One thine is for sure, at the end of the day, they are beautiful headphones. I love just looking at mine from time to time. When the light hits that copper just right!

2 Likes

@WaveTheory Iā€™m curious as to your preference for the Radiance between SE or Balanced? Since youā€™ve experienced many more dac/amp sources and better understanding then I could hope for right now.

Iā€™m finding I enjoy the SE more so if for the simple fact on my Jot2 that I get more volume play from track to track. I do find balanced to seem (to my ears) a bit more clear or resolving but then also more aggressive depending on the track.

Hmmm. Headphones/speakers are neither inherently balanced or single ended. Those terms only apply to speakers/headphones based on how they were wired to connect to an amplifier. The Jot2 has 2 different sound signatures from balanced or SE by design. Thatā€™s what youā€™re hearing. There really are no inherent differences in balanced or SE sound. The difference is in how they handle noise. Sonic differences are just in how they are voiced. The Jot2 has a TON of power, especially from its balanced out. Thatā€™s why youā€™re not getting much play in the potentiometer. The balanced out is also more neutral and incisive, where the SE out is warmer and thicker. Since Radiance is already tuned warm and thick, youā€™re likely preferring the neutrality and incisiveness of the Jot2ā€™s balanced out, er, balancing out the Radianceā€™s sound. Back to your question, I also prefer pairing the Radiance with an amp that is more neutral and incisive because of its warm, thick tuning. It responds very well to my Chord Hugo 2 and Lake People G111. On my Violectric HPA-V281, a warm and thick amp, or Asgard 3, to which the Jot2 SE output is similarly tuned, Radiance can sound a bit TOO thick to the point of tubby.

That help?

4 Likes

Yes! Makes perfect sense when put that way as to how I am hearing it. Itā€™s a silly thing to feel odd listening at such a low volume and that honestly was probably my main annoyance. Keep it down and enjoy the sound.

Thank you for explaining.

1 Like

Still wayyyy to early (just shipped in today) to really comment with authority but, I am liking the Radiance working off the Spring3 KTE + Ferrum OOR/Hypsos. Iā€™ll get it over to the Yggdrasil and V550 sometime this weekend.

I miss my Jot 2 - Iā€™d like to get another I think to put with a Bifrost 2 I have just feedin a set of Edifiersā€¦ I bet that the Bf2/Jot2 combo is pretty slick with the Radiance from what Iā€™ve heard so far.

3 Likes

@ShaneD I wanted to move this here to keep it out if the buy/sell thread.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an all around downgrade. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The radiance is a little more fun (bass :grin::metal:). The Stellia has better technical capabilities (faster, more detail, sometimes more texture but not always better texture imo). The radiance to me can come of a little more natural. It has better timbre imo and the mids are more consistent to me. And I really like the vocals and guitars on the radiance. The Stellias mids can be off at times. Not always and not on every track/recording but there are times when a guitar, vocals, or another instrument seems off. And its just a little but it can bother me at times. So when comparing mids I feel the radiance is more consistent, not always better. Basically, when the Stellia is good, itā€™s really good, but I find myself skipping less tracks with the radiance. And this is all nitpicking. I like the Stellia and if not comparing to the radiance Iā€™d definitely keep it, but at double the price the Stellia isnā€™t that much better to me. But if someone wanted the Stellia or liked it more, Iā€™d completely understand. I can see both sides.
And if I want really accurate, or better detail, I have other headphones for that. I like having a fun closed back as a portable option and the radiance fits that nicely.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The price of the Stelliaā€™s has always put me off them and I donā€™t care for the look.

I like my Elegiaā€™s, but I think I will probably end up moving up to the Radiance, at some point.

3 Likes

Sorry for double-post - I had to reupload my Radiance video. Here it is and hopefully I did some justice to this fantastic headphone!

Nicely done.

I am 0% surprised Focal is doing another run of these cans. Focal caught lightning in a bottle with this one. Amazing price/performance ratio, very natural tuning through the mids and treble, and bass that is FUN FUN FUN while managing to not be intrusive.

3 Likes

Same and I hope they continue to do so. These deserve to be more available to many others.

Thank you for the compliment!

@ShaneD

Read your comments about the Radiance on another thread but didnā€™t want to clog it up there - if you donā€™t mind me asking, what are your thoughts in comparison between the Radiance and the Elex? Also have you ever heard the Clear or Clear Mg? Iā€™m a big Focal fan but havenā€™t heard this one, only have the Clear Mg, Celestee and Elegia to go off of memory as a comparison.

EDIT: Iā€™m not sure why but I thought they were open back lol, didnā€™t know they were closed back. Well that makes the comparisons kind of irrelevant. Would still like to hear your thoughts though! The soundstage on the Celestee was a little claustrophobic for my tastes, how does the Radiance compare?

I have not compared them to the Elex yet. I compared the iBasso SR2ā€™s to the Radiance and it was really close.

However, after a few days of using the Radiance I was reminded of the Elexā€™s as in W-shaped sound. I donā€™t find the bass too much or too little. Same with the mids.
Really happy with these, where the Elegiaā€™s fell far short.

Now I am thinking Hard about OG Clears.

I find the Radiance very balanced and pretty open, for a closed-back.

3 Likes

The Radiance arrived today. It seemed like the drive home from work took extra long! But they are here. I had fun with the unboxing, I just took my time and let them reveal themselves! I like the way Focal packages these. They donā€™t come with a case that can withstand a nuclear blast or anything, but thatā€™s OK! I like the case these come in, it has a copper-bronze finish and looks very nice, almost elegant. The cable - thatā€™s already in the trash. The Black Tripowin went on immediately. And then there is the actual headphone.

First impression when you take them out of the case for the first time is that they are extremely good looking. The accents and the materials are fantastic. The build, fit and finish is of high quality and they have a premium feel to them. Like the Elegia, they are really comfortable to wear and cause no physical fatigue. I have had them on for over 3 hours now, and they are fine.

Iā€™m going to need more time to gather thoughts on how they sound, but one thing is for sureā€¦ They do things that are kinda next level for me and are a significant improvement over the Elegia in overall presentation. I am running them with the SA-1, and itā€™s a great pairing. They grab your ass from the minute you put them on! I find them to be extremely engaging. These have great bass response; impressive punch and slam, but itā€™s really tight. The level of detail is incredible. I love how they did the treble on these, too; I find it to be just right for my ear. Just incredible so far. To be continuedā€¦

10 Likes

Yeah, the radiance is definitely impressive, look amazing and really engaging, a big step up from the Elegia imho

3 Likes

Anyone heard anything on when the next batch will drop? They really need to bring this headphone back. Itā€™s easily top dog right now for well-isolating, great-sounding, easy-to-drive closed-back at this price.

2 Likes

Itā€™s kinda funny, I have to admit that part of the allure of these cans is that they are a limited edition. When I ordered them, I got excited that I was actually able to secure a pair. I had a pretty good idea that they were going to sound great based on your review and others I have seen, and they certainly do. But the fit and finish on these things really impressed me. And while the looks donā€™t make them sound any better, it enhances the overall user experience. When you hold them in your hands you know you are holding a quality piece. Then you put them on, and you just canā€™t stop smiling.

To me they are worth every penny, and maybe itā€™s OK if they remain a limited edition. Focal can release a new model.

3 Likes

Yep Snooze you lose :smile:

1 Like

I know the words ā€œend gameā€ are pretty much a joke usually, but I really have no intention of looking at other closed backs anymore. These do everything I need and look great doing it.
Great sound, comfortable, look great and have a three year warranty. I am done for several years at least.

I can see the Clear/Radiance combo being end game for most people, if you like the Focal sound.

2 Likes

Yea I agree. Like I said before, wish they didnā€™t do more runs of these. When they were first announced it said it was only going to be a limited run of 200. Same as you, when I secured a set locally when they were released, I was so happy I was getting a 1 of 200 in the world piece of equipment. Donā€™t get me wrong, I love my radiance, but it is a bummer that their exclusivity is now gone. That being said, I do understand why they made more. The radiance has been getting great reviews.

2 Likes

Ya when I found a nice second hand almost new Radiance at a good price and it was harder to come by, I really felt like I found a gem. A few weeks later Focal rereleased a bunch of them and I really felt like that was a smart moveā€¦ As a closed back, its hands down my most engaging and fun setā€¦ My favorite closed back that I have heard so farā€¦

3 Likes