đŸ”¶ Focal Utopia

With The RNHP, you should be fine.

1 Like

The RNHP feels like a THX amp event to me. one of those amps that come along once in a while and performs way above its price. I think i’ll be happy with it. I mean there doesnt seem to be any competition to it until you hit the 1000$ range.

Yeah, the RNHP is top of its class for single ended in its price range. Also from what I’ve heard I don’t really like THX and prefer the RNHP sound. I think M0N said something similar.

2 Likes

many feel the same just sounds more natural apparently. but I think thats more due to the thx amps sound too clinical for many

Yeah im good with single ended. before i needed to have a XLR but its always a pain to have to go looking for a xlr cable for like every new headphone i get. expensive too. worrying that the XLR port in my amp may sound better than the single ended. One of the things i like with the RNHP i dont have to worry. and every headphone i got will connect to it np.

Too Clinical is how I would describe my experience with THX exactly.

I never heard it on that benchmark amp, but the THX I heard via SMSL and Drop are just boring. It feels like the perfect on paper ideal of an ultralinear sound. But for me it has no character.

1 Like

It’s also somewhat lacking spatial capabilities, as everything is also pretty flat dimensionally. Also timbre and control is an improvement as well

1 Like

I am curious about the green rebel amp 500$ and class A amps. i heard some people wont listen to their headphones with anything else.

Yeah! It’s as if you took a rising tone. THX is a digital output of that rising tone. Absolutely perfect with no character. Perfect for professional set ups where you need that to judge an audio feed without any worry about if what you’re hearing is being affected by the output. Whereas an other amp, like the RNHP or my Chord Hugo TT2 is as if someone set up an anolog modular synth where the specific electronics adds a character to it. It’s perfect and follows the line just as closely, but contains a
 character that’s appealing. Depth, weight, complexity that THX just can’t reproduce

It’s the brush that affects the stroke I suppose.

I am really bad at describing this lol

1 Like

I’m sure it’s a solid amp, I haven’t heard it yet personally. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up on topology though, there are good and bad class a lol. It doesn’t really matter sound quality wise what topology used, it matters more the resulting sound of the design. You are already getting a class a/b amp, which is essentially just a class a but if it needs to reach for more power (unlikely) it goes into class b

I want to pick one up. I just hate the colour. Doesn’t match my set ups.

Yeah the hype around Class A amps is like that isn’t it?. You go an ask them what Class A they use and they all use Great Class A’s it seems. Not some crappy thing that had to be shipped all over the world to get to them for like 800 bucks max. They’re all playing on Pass Labs or the like. So its hard to trust their opinion on the matter.

It’s one of the problems of discussing hobbies on the internet I suppose. We are only given a slice or narrow band of what’s being presented to us, so these inherent biases form in groups that take the conclusion they’ve reached for granted (All class A amps are great, but they only buy great class A’s so they will never know what a crappy one is like because they don’t even know it exists lol)

I mean my main studio monitors are class D amps, and they aint low quality lol. My main listening for fun is class A, but it really just matters on the quality of the amp more than the topology

Yep, its why I wish there were more variety of amps in Toronto Hifi stores to judge. I heard a bit of bryston amps on your suggestion so now I really want that because I want the sound. But just for curiosity’s sake I would like to listen to other amps like Parasound or the Chord Ultimas/EtudĂ©

1 Like

I really like the warmer sound of parasound halo amps. The chord amps I am indifferent to, I have no strong feelings one way or another lol

1 Like

Yep, it’s like everything on the thx is on the same line. All the instruments and vocals lined up.

1 Like

Messing up a Class-A topology is kind of hard. It its simplest form it is two components: Resistor (usually 10k for line level) and the transistor.

All other topologies require some form of balancing out components, filters, control circuits/feedback or output filtering. Lots of areas to fuck-up royaly (or cheap out on).

That being said, you won’t run a techno disco on Class A and won’t buy cheap Class D for your headphones.

sigh
suffering from so much headphone envy

If I ever get my hands on a laser cutter, water jet or CNC router/mill, nothing is sacred from half-assed DIY by MF anymore.

4 Likes

DIY utopias? Lets make it happen

1 Like