Fostex T20RP or T50RP

The 20’s are the most pronounced up to 500Hz. Bassy wise, my M40X’s can do some bass, is just not the most impressive.
The 50’s beeing on top from 800Hz onward, I am not sure what to make of that. The “treble murder” comes to mind that gets you the edge when listening for footsteps in games. As I play for fun, that is also of less concern.

Either is fine. Everything except speakers works.

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated!

Those are Massdrop, right?
Shipping is going to be interesting (and VAT aswell). If it was not for easy of purchase, they would be in the selection.

The he400i is around the same price (or can be had used possibly) and sounds almost identical but with different headband and connector types

Also with the shure 1540 pads the treble is at a much more reasonable level imo

@LeDechaine might be able to give you info about the pad change more

the 4xx have a special EU version to take care of the VAT issues n such.

the 400i have also been reduced in price…in the US they’re now about $175 or so, so you could see if they’ve been given a price reduction in Europe too.

The pads are more set than the headphones.

Good to know.

Well that sucks lol. I don’t know other pads that work well off the top of my head

And what Headphone do I buy with them?

The t50rp would work better with them imo hold on for a sec

1 Like
1 Like

You don’t happen to know what the Shure HPAEC1840 pads do to them? Because buying one headphone (75% set on the 50’s now) and 3 pairs of pads is no bueno.

I’m assuming you mean 3 pairs of pads lol. The 1840 pads are more open and don’t tame the treble as much

1 Like

Between Zeos review and your comments and links, I think the magical 50€ Shure 1540 pads are worth trying.

Will give the headphone decision a good night of sleep now.

Always a good idea lol. I can’t do that anymore because then it just makes me reconsider other options I said I wouldn’t get lol

1 Like

No clue what you mean…

closes tabs: beyerdynamic Custom Studio, Sennheiser HD300 Pro, AKG K-371

Oooo the k371 is pretty dang great if you like a harman tuned headphone. Comfort and build is great

Yup, Shure 840 pads are great with T50RPs. And yes, T50RPs without Shure 840 pads = treble murder (for me anyway – it sounds like a +10dB treble plateau with the stock “pancake” pads).

Yes, that’s what 840 pads will give you. :stuck_out_tongue:
I haven’t tried the Shure 1840 pads, sorry! But they appear to be velour, and 840 pads are, fake leather or whatever it is called (pleather?), therefore will probably seal way better and give you way more kick/drum kick “slam”.

Also, your sound card output is apparently 125 mW @ 32 Ohms. Which is… ok for “standard” headphones, but not for planars. Lol. Another reason why you need an external headphone amp, is… volume control. I mean, trust me, you don’t want a computer, or any program, to control the volume of your headphones. You don’t want tinnitus for the rest of your life because you restarted windows and heard the “welcome” music @ 140dB or something like that.

…especially if you plan on having one, just one pair or IEMs, one day.

1 Like

And @M0N is making me believe that a JDS Labs Atom or something like that will even out the frequency range even more, making everything sound smoother (less “thin” and more detailed).

Without an amp the T50RPs are cold and precise AF, I’d even say “robotic” compared to my HD58Xs. With an amp they should sound “warmer”.

Oh, and I know “warmer” and “colder” don’t make much sense. So… Yeah, If I listen to Rodrigo y Gabriela with T50RPs, it sounds like brand new guitar strings. A bit too much “brand new” actually. If I listen to the same song with HD58Xs, strings sound a lot less treble-y. Same with my HD280 Pros. And I trust my HD58Xs and HD280 Pros because, well, look at the graphs. Both sound neutral/natural. HD58Xs are basically “perfection according to Sennheiser (HD 580 Precision), massdrop edition” and HD280 Pros are often used for monitoring.

So, yup, T50RPs need an amp (and Shure 840 pads, IMHO).

Sure thing, you won’t be experiencing “planar bass” with the stock “pancake” pads.

Also, I fixed the graph for you, lol (just widened it). Some of these graphs are so damn unforgiving it’s just terrible – terribly unrealistic too. They’re not treble murder cans. I know, I bought Grados… lol. Let’s call this, two 5dB clarity peaks. And 5dB is really, really not much.

You’ll have the edge, not the pain. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If ya really want em to even out the basx a100 or Asgard 3 are great options lol. The more power you can get it the better (clean power that is)

280€ shipped from their “local” retail partner… hmm… DEAL

Used with the 50 watts switch only? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll get the Atom anyway. It’s cheaper and it’s already 1 watt. The Shure 840 pads already made half the job (75% even), my guess is the Atom will make the other half of evening out the FR.

Maybe 50 watts is needed with the pancake pads but, gods, talk about killing a fly with a sledgehammer lol, just get good pads, even the manual says 3 watts max. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing 10€ of parts and a little soldering could not fix. I think I still have 0.1% tolerance resistors in various resistances arround.