Fostex T40RP mk3

Fostex closed back studio planar headphone.

Driver: Regular Phase (or Orthodynamic)
Impedance: 50 ohm
Sensitivity: 91dB (at 1kHz, 1mW)
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 35kHz
Maximum Input Power: 3000mW
Weight: 315g
Cable: Detachable 1/4” Stereo Phone (3m) and Stereo Mini (1.2m)

Z Review

So, I decided to start my planar journey with this one. :slight_smile:

Great build, robust, 2nd only to DT770 Pro. Love the looks. 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with locks on both sides. Nice and practical. Medium to light weight at 315g. I have often found advices that these “need nuclear powerplant to drive”. I guess that probably sprung from the specification that they can take up to 3 Watts of power. However, I found them relatively easy to drive. I found no issue driving them from phone, tablet or laptop to impressive loudness. Sound is, here is no other word, smooth, comparing to the dynamic drivers. Like it’s missing the kind of grainy background that I notice on the dynamics. This model is exceptionally tuned, between 80Hz and 5kHz it has great adherence to the target. Sub-bass is rolled off and treble attenuated, but that is almost wholly fixable with EQ. They also sound great without any EQ. Bass sounds impressive, big and strong, maybe a little boomy but without overwhelming mids much. Thin pads puts the driver near your ear for best sound quality. Unfortunately, this bring us to comfort. Thin pleather pads and headband coupled with strong clamp makes them somewhat uncomfortable and sweaty, especially during hot months. Great entry to planar headphones and probably the best closed back HP for the price.

1 Like

nice write up, glad you are enjoying them!

1 Like