🔷 Fostex TH900

Seems like it might have a different tuning as well. It mentions an “anniversary tuning” in the description. Anyone know if that’s the same as the sapphire or if it’s new?

My understanding is that its the same as the sapphire

3 Likes

Happy for ya! But also, bold claim my friend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Haha it was a joke

1 Like

Yup. The TH-900 is a headphone that is often underappreciated upon first listen. Then, once you continue trying more high-end headphones you only begin to appreciate the TH-900 more and more and more. It just has that ‘fun factor’ that is missing in the majority of other high-end headphones.

Ordered mine about a month ago and they’re still on backorder. The wait is starting to become painful. I got the amp I wanted for them, got a a bunch of different pads to play with, got a custom balanced cable… I want my new toy.

Can I join the TH-900 Club?

TH-900mk2 Limited Edition Pearl White w/anniversary tuning (same as the Blue Sapphire).
Letting them warm up for a while and then will need to start the driver break in process. I am really looing forward to hearing them. No Lawton mod for these, that’s what my TH-610 is purchased for.

18 Likes

It looks very nice.Have Fun with him :v::+1:,hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

While I think I still like the red more, that white with gold lettering is just so classy. I wish I could justify getting myself a set of these.

Or, maybe I could get a set of TH-900 cups from Lawton and pretend the X in my X00s is a 9 lol.

2 Likes

I am not actually to keen on the Pearl White myself. The Bordeaux is much better looking IMO. But, I bought the headphone for the anniversary tuning, not its looks.

There was a set that just sold in the last few days on Head-Fi… I was thinking about it too to be honest and then getting another 610 or something and the Lawton driver tune-up. FYI those were the second set of TH900-borduex cups I have seen since the holidays - so it seems they come up often enough. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Whenever someone does a Lawton mod. That’s why Lawton sometimes has some for sale. He gives you a discount on your mod if you give him your old cups so he can sell them. I would have to get another set of X00s or 610s to put them on of course.

1 Like

Limited Edition

What more justification do you need? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing:

1 Like

That’s how I decided to get my Grado Hemps lol.

2 Likes

I’d eventually like to pick one of these up but I never see the 900 mk2 come up on sale used for good prices. This and the 909 really do hold their values well.

1 Like

Initial Impression:

Don’t have a lot of time on them, and of coarse the drivers are new and will need some break in before they settle down. However, initial impressions are “These are Keepers!”

Treble is not bad at all. It’s there but not all up in your face and it really compliments the forwardness of the mids. Bass is not as heavy (not as much sub bass rumble) as say my Lawton modded Fostex biodyna’s but, it is much more controlled and when a track calls for it - it’s there and extends really low. This phone has a lot of energy - impact and slam are on point, the stage is not as wide as my HexV2 for example, but still pretty good and it has some noticeable depth to it.

So far it appears that this phone is what I was after - an energetic, dynamic, fun yet capable headphone that is not a duplicate of my Lawton modded phones. More to come…

Sources I’ve used this phone on so far:

1. Bifrost2+ Jot 2 and Liquid Platinum
  2. Soekris 1321+ Violectric V281
6 Likes

A super dope looking set :heart_eyes: enjoy buddy :+1:

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m interested in the TH900 mk2, and both the regular edition and the white anniversary edition is available to me. What does the anniversary tuning offer, and how does it differ from the regular version? Worth mentioning that I’ll probably Lawton mod them, also.

If your Lawton modding then just get the normal version since the Lawton cups will let you get what ever tuning you want.

As for the anniversary tuning, I think it has a bit less bass, more mids, and less treble. So basically a bit more neutral. Take this with a grain of salt as I’m just going off of what I remember hearing about the anniversary tuning from reviews and forums.

2 Likes

Don’t get the Pearl White Limited Edition then, if you are going to mod. I mean if you are going to replace the chambers and/or do the driver tune-up you will have changed everything special about the LE. Looks and tuning. Might as well get a Bordeaux (red) and go from there.

I have an Limited Edition Pearl White, I also have 2 Lawton level 2 (Chambers & tune-up) phones, a Denon D5000 and Fostex TH610. I have not heard a “stock” TH900 so I really can’t compare the anniversary tuning to the “standard” tuning.
What I can tell you about the LE anniversary tuning is that the treble is smoothed out and still pretty forward but does not bite, and there is no loss of detail. The mids are forward; lower, middle and upper, and really presents vocals and instruments like guitar/electric guitar cleanly and with some punch. The bass is very well controlled, extends down deep, is fast, with excellent decay and not at all bloomy.
This phone has a lot of energy and is very engaging. It is in my top three along with HexV2 and LCD-2PF, I really dig it !

My Latwon modded TH610 comes very close overall with perhaps a touch more sub-base/rumble. But honestly, I now find it to be too much (Lawton sub-base). It feels exaggerated after hearing the TH900mk2 LE with the anniversary tuning. I think that Fostex anniversary tuning is more realistic in the base region, and its spoiled me. Don’t take that to think the bass is less. The bass still has it going on and rumbles when called for - just much more refined and in control. It’s not all the time in your face about it.

If I was forced to summarize it, I would say the anniversary tuning out of the box sounds pretty close to what you would get from doing a Lawton mod., smoothed treble, bring up the mids, and tighter bass.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I ended up going for the red version as you suggested.

4 Likes