🔷 Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

If you find the pads uncomfortable then I would recommend ZMF Ori lambskin. I find that they only slightly reduce the midbass and add a very small amount of treble. If you don’t like that then all you need to do is add attenuator rings behind the pads and it sound basically identical to stock as far as I can tell. Also the Ori pads look GREAT!

I made mine out of a ~1/2mm thick price of soft vinyl like plastic from the front of a spiral note book. Also dekoni sells some for $15 if you can’t be bothered.

The lip on the Ori pads is a bit big, but I found if you get the tabs into place and then spin the pad the wrong way until it spins freely (get the lip out of the tabs) then twist it the right way to lock the tabs they go right on.

Also just a good picture of my purple heart cups.

Also also the stand. (Sadly currently unavailable at the moment)

Edit: hay @M0N can we get a purple heart and mahogany thread as well?

1 Like

If the Phantom is your number 2 what is your number one? What’s Metals one band EQ suggestion?

Kennerton Vali 2019 is my favorite. Not as much bass as the TR-X00, but warm, slightly bassy, just enough detail. So many genres sound good on that headphone. Sounds very refined, like you know you’re listening to a quality headphone. For example, I liked the sound of the Hifiman HE560, but I found the sound thin. Vali 2019 has really good sound stage and a thick sound that I like. The biggest difference for me between the Vali & Phantom is the vocals. Vali does everything the Phantom does well but a little better, and with closer, clearer vocals (sorry I suck at describing sound).

Metal suggested 10000, -4db, Q3 (sorry if that’s not how you write out EQ bands).

Hey I heard these are being discontinued in another thread, is that true? Also, the mohagany is still available for $420, is there a difference between the colors or should expect the same quality from both?

Yes I believe they are being discontinued, the ebony is the most refined of the bunch, the purple heart is the bassiest, and the mahogany is in the middle of the ebony and the purpleheart

Is the difference between the mahogany and ebony significant? Or do you recommend finding a used pair of ebony over the mohagany?

I think the ebony is an improvement imo, and if you can find a good condition used ebony for a similar price I would go with that

I think the ebony is more coherent and refined

thats sad thats its being discontinued. that mean massdrop is not gonna do another run? if so what does fostex offer thats close to it?

They have been on massdrop for a relatively long time actually (I think like 4 years or something) so the sales were dying off so they just decided they were done lol. They offer the th610 and higher end stuff like their th900. Denon headphones are pretty similar like the d7200 or d9200

Are those 2 companies owned by the same conglomerate or something?

They both use foster biodynamic drivers I think

Their headphones are so similar to each other. i would think they could sue. unless they are the same company or something

Pretty sure they buy their drivers for foster. Also the denons admittedly have better build and comfort imo. But I prefer the tuning of the x00 or the th900

Any major differences between the TR and TH series?

One has a removable cable and one doesn’t

2 Likes

I currently have the 4xx and love them, but I have been curious about the highly praised bass and sound quality of the ebony. Do you guys think it would be worth having both or is the v-shaped sound signature of these headphones too similar to notice a difference?

I don’t think they are that similar imo. The x00 has a pretty different type of v shape, and feel you could easily have both in a collection without overlap imo

How do the two headphones sound compared to each other? I understand that the x00 are closed back so they lack the sound stage compared to the 4xx, but what about imaging, mids, and highs?

They have more tight imaging imo, the mid-range and bass is much more rounded and organic sounding, and the high end is very clean

Just found a pair on sale with no cables, anyone know what can be used as a replacement? I know about periapt cables, but I was hoping not to spend over $80 for cables.