šŸ”· Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

Doesnā€™t the TR-X use the Sennheiser connector? I donā€™t know if the pins are the same length.
The cheapest of those I found is on a UK site. Thereā€™s a balanced version for Ā£25/~$30
https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/sennheiser/hd6xx/sennheiser-hd-092885.html

They have reverse polarity, so they wonā€™t work

For the X00 line and EMU Teak line is the tuning based on the cups or are there driver differences? I own a pair of mahoganys and was wondering if I were to swap on Ebony cups would I get that sound signature?

1 Like

You could swap cups and experience a sound change, but there is also a bit more tuning involved. Also perhaps check out lawton mods as they can be neat too

1 Like

I wonder what tuning differences each one has physically with materials, cause from what I can see from taking off my cups was that it was nothing behind the drivers, just standard driver paper

Did you get these from Drop or another source? Looks like I just missed these.

there was a drop warehouse sale. i think it may have been stuff from Europe cause it was around the time they where closing those Warehouseā€™s and divisions and it was out of stock here. It poped up for 350$ so i grabbed it the next day it was gone lol. iā€™m glad too, its one of the best headphones ive ever heard

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome. Glad you like them. Hopefully I can find a pair or theyā€™ll bring it back on Drop.

if you cant find an ebony, is it better to go with mahogany or argons? been between the argons and tr-x00 for a bit.

Personally I would take the x00 for sure imo. If you want the most bass the purple heart also exists.

The closest to the ebony I know being sold are these (with many preferring them over the ebony)

2 Likes

ok, thank you for your help! its much appreciated.

Yeah so I think if you canā€™t find an ebony, grab an emu teak if you can

1 Like

ok, thanks! iā€™ll keep searching for the ebony but iā€™ll look at emu as well.

have you heard the th-610?

Briefly, it was pretty good, but I would instead go for the denon d7200 or the emu teak imo (or the ebony). I just personally enjoy the tuning more

1 Like

I think all drop has left is the Mahogony, my guess is they are clearing out inventory to simplify their lineup and make space for new projects.

1 Like

awesome to know the Ebony and the Emu teak are compariable, Iā€™ve been thinking about getting these forever since seeing Zeoā€™s review on it, and looks like they made other cups for them as well, wonder if I could get a couple sets of cups as well if theyā€™re still making them

A bit off topic but what ever happened to this?

378 votes and 89 comments so far on Reddit

Was it a real thing or just like some mod/prototype that never went anywhere?

1 Like

Hmmmmm I remember hearing about it but idk lol

Damn how good are these headphones?! Ive been thinking about these headphones for a while. they surprised me. they may be getting me hooked on bass. I was never that much into bass. before whenever i heard bass in reference to headphones or audio gear that meant it was gonna be boomy, darker and rumbling everything in site. not a fan. then i ran into these.

So im listening to Duran Duranā€™s great underrated album ā€œpop trashā€ theres a track thats great to test out headphones on, its called ā€œHallucinating Elvisā€. So im trying all my headphones on it one after another. i try Elex, wow sounds so good, wonderfull balance, almost perfection. then i switch to the Aiva and the highs start to sparkle and it sounds so clean. then i switch to the Ebony and wow. for a moment it actually sounds better than both those headphones. just dynamite. I cant believe it. these may be the best headphones i have :flushed:. something about them. Is it the biodna drivers? is it the great treble to match? and the fuller sound? the bass? idk

2 Likes