🔷 Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

yeah, we’re talking about the sp200, so I wondered why is this a problem.

1 Like

Well if you don’t want to convert the headphones to removable, you could technically modify the cable by untying the grounds. As the headphones have cables on both sides, it’s already set up for balanced. The issue is where in the cable did they combine the negative channels.

I just ran into the issue when I was modifying the cable I bought for my Nighthawks.

I recently found a pretty useful guide posted by a guy on headfi. https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm

Yeah i saw them. its incredibly expensive. starts at 375$ i guess hes using gold in those cables. /sigh i wish people would get over this cable kick. I could have really used a conversion. I figure a cable conversion should be about 50$ or less

Moon audio does this as well but it’s also pricey. You can look on line and I would say you would most likely be able to get it done for like 100 or so, or just do it yourself

1 Like

It’s significant work with a chance of destroying the headphones.
If you want to do it cheaper, the parts are dirt cheap, just requires some care and skill.

2 Likes

yeah. looks like im gonna have to learn to do it myself

2 Likes

FYI, from what I’ve found, it seems to be fairly manageable to just reterminate the cable to 4-pin XLR.

These past sales of TH-X00 have been converted to balanced.

“The original Fostex cable has been reterminated with 3.5mm gold-plated Neutrik Rean connectors at the HP side and a balanced XLR4 Neutrik connector at the amp side.”

Discussion about modding for balanced:

“The wires in the TH-X00 cable are brown, brown, pink, and blue. You’ll have to use a multimeter to figure out which brown wire is the left ground and which is the right. The left signal is blue, the right signal is pink.”

Seems like the TH-X00 cable already has four wires. So all you need is a multimeter, soldering iron, wire stripper, heat shrink, and an XLR connector. As mentioned, there is some risk involved, and if you don’t have the equipment, the total cost may be close enough to a professional mod job for it not to be worth it.

I wanted to show everyone my results from leaving furniture hydrating cream on my X00 Mahogany’s on the wood wow it really darkened up the finish, i moisturised the cups in and out basically had the wood swimming in the stuff and wow the finish looks darker and the TH900 dekoni leather pads are plumped up. They’re quite bright when I first got them I only did this cause I though it would help continue the condition of the wood seeing as these are now officially a year old

1 Like

That looks rather nice. Are there any noticable sound changes with the extra moisture/mass in the cups?

In future I would only apply that on the inside since the outside is sealed and I would use less, like just enough to cover the exposed wood inside. A more normal wood oil would work as well. Also you probably won’t have to oil/moisturize those cups for quite a while.

2 Likes

I agree, The pads sure do feel much better im sure using wood oil is a much smarter move. Big sound changes with the pads now they sound god tier (I haven’t heard ZMF perferated leathers cause I hear thats also god tier) they sound more detailed for sure, the delivery of the bass feels thicc, (Also note ive put an extra 2mm spacer on my screws to give the driver more air) pad seal on my head is better for sure. Im not sure if its the pad or the cups it still makes me happy that the wood isn’t going to dry out and I like the overall dark golden look to them now.

2 Likes

The 2mm spacers adds even more bass for the X00’s if you take off the wood cups 100% and play music its pandoras bass box and you lose a ton of treble detail but by using spacers you gain more without sacrificing too much bass

was looking at picking up the TH900 MK2 as my next purchase. Does anyone know if they have similar amounts of sound stage versus the Ebony? I’m also aware that the 900’s are much more V shaped compared to the more neutral Ebony.

They really aren’t that much more v shaped tbh. They have a bit wider soundstage but imo the depth is more impressive that the ebony, they can create a better space

1 Like

Perfect, that’s kind of the answer I was hoping for. Thanks Mon

Are those the ebony cups? looks like the th610 walnuts. wish i could get the wood finish on mine to show that well

Yes it is ebony. The lights makes it look like walnuts lol

Wow, and that was one of XERO1’s favorite cans when he brought it to recent meet at the SOURCE AV. He paired it with the Asgard 3 and the Modi (MB I think). He liked the Dekoni hybrids on them, but I forgot which ones, the TH900’s or the THX00’s.

After listening to them, I went to find my pair (also from another head-fi user).

1 Like

This was kind of a mod thread for a bit, so here’s the link to my Lawton modded TH-610.

3 Likes

yes he rec me the Dekoni hybrids with attenuation ring for ebonys for better bass and less treble…he barely used the stock pads so hell naw i will replace this soon lol and the treble is just right IMO not sibilant at all

So I found the time…

2 Likes