Frequency cutoff functionality worth replacing subwoofer?

I built a minimalist Apple Airport Express AirPlay audio system comprised of an active Yamaha NS-SW050 8” subwoofer with a simple, single RCA input and two active M-Audio BX5a speakers. (This AirPlay build probably deserves its own post.)

I run the Tidal Hifi/MQA signal over AirPlay from my various Apple devices where my Airport then passes that signal via its mini toslink port to my Drop Grace SDAC Balanced mini toslink port. I run the sub through the unbalanced 3.5mm port with a Monoprice Stereo 3.5mm to single RCA adapter, the M-Audios are run balanced via XLR cables.

First and foremost, this ultra convenient, minimalist WiFi-only system sounds great. I’m already beyond amazed by what it is able to do. Music sounds great and it handily passes the “Jurassic Park T-Rex scene” test with aplomb. At a minimum, I’m getting 16b/44k, but I’ve seen with another DAC I tested it either gets 16b/48k or 24b/48k (via MQA’s first unfold) too.

My question for the big brains :brain: of this forum is this:

Would running the signal through a more complex subwoofer with the ability to fine tune frequency cut offs make a big difference and would it be worth returning my current Yamaha sub for one that can manage the frequency traffic?

I have my eye on upgrading from the M-Audios at some point down the road too. Perhaps for a Yamaha HS5 stereo pair.

I emailed with Grace Design and their guy said being able to fine tune frequency cut offs would be beneficial.

A sub with a high pass filter. Yes

Thanks. I’m guessing something like this, which has high and low cut? I’m guessing “cut” and “pass” are synonymous.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHSK8C2/?coliid=IDSLHDFNB4MLL&colid=8E0A6JECZ6ZF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1 Like

This also has adjustable high pass. Zeos has a video review of it as well.

2 Likes

O hey thanks for the heads up on that. I might get one myself. been looking for a sub with filters on amazon. Im assuming high cut/ pass serves the same function.

Big lessons in your post. Thanks for telling me. Z did not disappoint and got me thinking.

1 Like