Gaming burnout, and how do you deal with it?

I always fall back to Fallout New Vegas and The Halo Trilogy (Halo Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST). Fallout NV is a game you can really lose yourself in, endless possibilities and content. Always something to do and explore. I don’t know if you’ve played Halo before, but the original Halo games made by Bungie are pure masterpieces. Best music I have ever heard in a game. Solid and balanced gameplay, challenging difficulties + skulls for extra difficulty/fun/dynamics. And they also have really interesting sound design choices that they elaborate further in their Halo ViDocs. If you look what Bungie was doing in 1990-2010 you notice that game companies really have lost their way nowadays.

in my 20 years of gaming I’ve experienced the “burnout” phenomenon countless times, sometimes multiple burnouts in the same year. It can be related to everything from personal circumstance non gaming related to specific games or even different times of the day or week for that matter or even seasons of the year. For instance I can’t game in the mornings or mid-day, just can’t focus at those times of the day so as a result I mostly game after 5pm most days. I also game a lot more in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer, which probably has to do with allergies and other season related afflictions that just make me more likely to feel burnt out.

It can be easy to attribute your “burn out” to be related with your personal interest in games as a whole, thoughts like “maybe i’m just growing out of this” or “I just don’t find this interesting anymore” are very common. Typically for me I’ve always bounced back but it involved some serious time off and interest searching to figure out why i was feeling this way. It happened to me with FPS games as well as online multiplayer games, I just realized that I don’t really find those types of game fun anymore and I’ve since moved on to more single player joints and enjoy the current evolution of story telling in games media.

This is of course a more extreme type of burn out and most of the time feeling kinda exhausted from games is more of a temporary mental state and much more game specific and not as widespread, but if you ask yourself those questions it might be worth looking at the type of games you are playing and decide if you even still find them enjoyable or if you should step away or broaden your horizons with different experiences.

/my 2 cents

1 Like

Yeah revisiting some of the old games I played back then helps deal with it, also in my opinion New Vegas is the best Fallout game made and it is better than 3 and 4 definitely better than 4.

1 Like