Gaming Headset?

Hello, I currently have the corsair HS50 and I was thinking of upgrading to Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro. Is it worth the upgrade?

The corsair hs50 offers simply an “adequate” sound performance in game, since most gamers are okay with lower quality sound and don’t care much for music, meanwhile dt 770s are designed more with music in mind so they will have a better sound to them. DT 770s have a different signature, in this case its a bright U signature, entirely as most gaming headsets will be a flat or balanced sound with custom tuning if its more towards competitive so you will get what sounds like compression or even very lacking bass to allow footsteps to be more present. If you prefer footsteps dt 770 may not be the wisest of choices due to its heavier bass frequency and you’d be better off with the semi open back dt 880 as its a more neutral tuning. It really depends on how serious you are in competitive… if your just looking for immersion during competitives though dt 770 is definitely a nice set thanks to its heavier bass and higher treble it definitely makes the battlefield come to life alongside a really nice comfort, though I would recommend getting a set of dekoni or brainwavz perforated pads for them.

Please do keep in mind that the DT series has different versions based on OHM or impedance. The higher the ohm the better these will sound however, anything over 32 ohms cannot be used on consoles and in some cases low grade motherboards on board audio depending on the overall db requirements. In order to use higher than 32 on a console you would need an amp and in most cases an amp/dac for the best quality sound, usually seperate dedicated units but this is more expensive. If you need just a gaming amp/dac look into things like Syba Sonic, Soundblaster X3, Soundblaster G6, Schiit Fulla, Fiio E10K, Fiio k5 pro, among many other units. Syba Sonic will be the cheapest in that list but the weakest in that lineup in other words don’t expect it to power 600 ohm or really crazy requiring headphones

in the case of the most extreme if your really wanting footsteps probably the akg k702 or k7xx and if you wanted a bit more of a “Fun” sound the k712… if it had to be a closed back for isolation though then K271 or K550 would be better. I would say the ad700x or ad1000x are good as well but these are also open back, there are closed back versions which is just instead of the “X” in the name it has a “Z” in the series but with some different numbers, but the headband is found to be uncomfortable to a lot and built quality is kind of poor.

You have the title labeled for gaming headsets though which is a little off-putting. Do keep in mind the dt 770 is not a gaming headset it is a headphone so it does not have a microphone. If a microphone is needed there are alternative gamer headsets that would be deemed quite a bit of an upgrade to the HS50’s but also theres attachable mics. Lavalier, or a mic that can attach to a cable or shirt, work fine, Antlion modmics are quite popular as they attach to any headphone turning it into a headset without losing headphone quality, and in some cases V-moda boom pro, and theres a 2.5mm version out there for headphones that have a 2.5mm aux instead of a 3.5mm, for those headphones that have an aux 3.5mm detachable cable. Finally there would be a streamer style setup of an external boom microphone on a boom stand or arm, in this case I would recommend a dynamic microphone over xlr or usb, if possible, however the xlr will require an additional purchase of an audio interface and most usb are just condensors so they are extremely sound sensitive.

I don’t need a microphone and I thought dt 770 would be good because of this https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/97mi5s/zguides_headphones/ guide.

It’s one of the better choices for gaming you have closed back wise due to it’s very good imaging and uniquely wide Soundstage for an openback. If you go with the 250 ohm the bass is more controlled an the treble is sharp enough to cut through the bass and present you the footsteps.

I will agree with this if you need a closed back @Azzurre its not bad due to the sharpness of the treble its a solid choice just not the best. It would be good for multiple applications not just competitive due to the bass response if you are okay with that and like stated can snag and power the 250 ohm dt 770s they will work just fine. However, if this is strictly for competitive reasons there are better options. For strictly competitive look for lacking bass with mid and highs being forward bass heavy headphones or even the slight rumble will get in the way of competitive fps cue cards.

I use the AKG 7XX coupled with a Sennheiser GSX 100, amped by a Schiit Heresy. It’s powered perfectly in this setup, and the imaging (spotting footsteps with my ears) is on point. Side note, they’re very comfortable for long play sessions.

1 Like

Yea, I mentioned the k7 series in that long post. Definitely a really good headphone for those who want strictly competitive.

1 Like