General use / Workout IEM recommendations?

So, I tried creating a seperate post for on the go headphones and there seems to be a lack in that department. So here I am asking about IEMs or earbuds if that would work better. So far I have only tried Soundcore liberty air 2 wireless ear buds they fell out of my ear and I almost lost them. For IEMs I have tried the Moondrop Starfields I like the sound but they don’t seem to fit right in my ear… possibly to large of a design cause it doesn’t hold correctly to the size of my ear. I am not sure where to turn here I don’t want some crazy expensive IEM but at the same time I want it for things like walking through town, going down to the rivers, going on runs or jogs, going to the gym to work out, work around home like mowing grass and what not, etc. I have thought to use Wireless but I fear that if they do suddenly fall out somehow, which has happened with the earbuds, that I will lose it or it will get broke somehow and will just end up costing me money. I know wired offers more sound quality anyway but my concern on that is just that I don’t want it to get snagged on something and get jerked out of my ear thus damaging my ear, breaking the item, or disconnecting somehow mid pull and the iem getting tossed through the air somewhere. I would ideally like the keep to budget cheap at like $150 maximum but less would definitely be better. I have thought about perhaps changing the tips to a foam or flange style but I have no idea where to start looking. Sound wise I tend to prefer warm tones for general music but I do love a higher treble for vocals especially for female vocals. If it helps the headphones I typically wear are Aeon Open X, Fidelio X2 HR, and DT 1990s. I would definitely wear a headphone over ear if I could find a good one that was friggin sweat proof/waterproof but I have yet to find one thats actually good and worth using. Definitely open to recommendations as this will be something I use on my day to day as I work out and get active literally every day so I want some music to go along with me. I currently make use of some cheapo wired gas station ear buds, broken a few and they sound like crap as I sent back to the soundcores due to almost losing them out of fear of just losing money due to loss or breaking the item, it took me an hour and a half to find the ear bud that fell out of my ear as I was weed wacking it fell out collided with the weed wacker fell onto the slowing down spinning wire and flew off into the grass. Recommendations and information on this stuff regarding fitment, sound, possible replacement tips, etc are all very much welcome as I am trying to find the ideal set to go with here. I considered the Samsung Galaxy Buds+ plus too as recommended by Riceguru but again… I worry they won’t stay in my ears. I think I should also add that I do not make use of a seperate amp. I only have my phone as of right now which is a Samsung A10E. That’s not to say I am against buying seperate equipment for better music and sound it just has to work. I think the issue honestly is that just regular shaped silicone tips don’t work to well for me it has to be either longer or a more conform fitment.

I use these for running. Not the best sound but they get the job done and have some decent bass. Charge lasts a long time. Sweat and water resistant. The hook design helps them not fall out of your ear and they seem like a happy medium for you because they are wireless to your source but they are connected together with a wire so that would help you not lose them if one falls out. They also have a little piece that fits behind the rubber ear tip that is supposed to help hold them tighter in your ear. Plus they are cheap.

Plantronics backbeat fit. https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/sport-headphones
Many new models available, look for some of the older models, they are almost half the price. Keep them clean with a q-tip and a dab of alcohol.
Past ten years I have gone thru 4 sets. Never lost one while moving about. I like mine.

Interesting suggestions so far… I will take them into account, also see that theres an actual headphone on that page though its a bit pricey. I was looking more towards using an IEM in this case but I suppose that can work. I do want a good sounding piece of gear, I don’t like the idea of bad sound while going out on walks and what not ya know? @Mr_Makua I was considering those after I had tried the other anker soundcore but I wasn’t exactly sure since the probeats I purchased really didn’t work out well. All for a good solution like that wire setup so I don’t lose them at the same time I am looking into the best possible sound solution so I am not sure if this would be what I am looking for or not. Already doing some digging into flange and foam tips and wondering if perhaps that would solve my issue and I could wear an IEM.

Good sounding AND ability to stay in your ears while working out are a relative term. For a sweat resistant set of earphones they will need to be covered in some kind of rubber and they will NEED to have some sort of over ear, in-ear, or behind the neck piece to help keep them from flying out of your ears while you move. Sound quality will be affected somewhat as opposed to an over ear HP or IEM made to use while sitting in a chair. As long as you are cognizant of this fact there are some decent pieces out there. good luck deciding.

so personal opinion here I’ve tried various things for working out including some “sport” iems. Even if they’re designed to be sweatproof, water-resistant, rugged or w/e by virtue of how they are used they will fall apart at some point. I’m not too hard on these as i usually only would use them for short runs.

I’d be inclined to recommend something like what Mr. Makua posted. I used the earlier version of the Anker bluetooth headphones until they eventually fell apart. They are fine but you are compromising on sound a bit with a bluetooth consumer headphone. Currently I use the Blon bl03 for a bit better sound quality and if/when they break it’s not a big cost. I also don’t particularly care for the blons so them breaking is not a huge deal to me personally.

I prefer something with hooks as opposed to the TWS style typically doesn’t stay in when I’m running, but is fine for out and about just walking around.

1 Like

wanted to post on this again. So, I was digging around looking at alternatives all that jazz. Stumbled upon the FiiO UTWS1. Got me wondering on solutions involving these IEM as that not only wraps around the ear offering a more secure fit but it makes an already fantastic normally wired IEM into a wireless. Got me wondering at what good alternatives there are in this regard dunno about the Blon bl03 but to be fair… im completely new to iem to begin with.

i think at that point i would rather just take my best iem and snake it under my shirt if dangling is an issue
i think jabras are nice

That creates quite the discomfort while out running and the like.

i mean it depends on the type of cable and if you clip one part on the top and another at the bottom of your shirt or not

With exercise, you want to keep it simple for sure and keep wires and devices to a minimum. I know Zeos had his big video about how wireless IEMS are dumb because the Fiio UTWS1 exists, but he didn’t try out exercising with them. Wouldn’t those receivers be hitting you behind your ear a bunch if you are running?

I can definitely recommend the Galaxy Buds + for an all in one solution. They have excellent Harman-esque tuning, and while no one’s going to mistake the SQ for a high-end set, they definitely stand out above the cheap Chi-Fi imo. They fit really well because you get three ear tip sizes and three ear flanges that press against the outside of your ear, so for active work, they’d be much less likely to fall out than any traditional IEM, because it’s making contact in multiple places and it doesn’t have the weight of the cable either. It’s nice to be able to control music too. The other thing that’s nice is the noise passthrough, where you hold down the right one for a second and it uses the mics to let sound through so you can stay alert while still hearing your music. That feature is really the killer app for me because it works perfectly, and the mixing of the outside world and your music is just perfect. None of the wired solutions will do that.

That being said, during the lockdown exercising at home, I’ve been using my Tin P1’s with Dekoni foam tips hooked up to my Fiio BTR5, and that worked pretty damn well and sounded a good deal better than the Galaxy Buds. Tuck the wire under the shirt and you’re good to start FLACing and LDACing. :smiley: