Getting really existential about audiophile snake oil

Sorry, my first post here and resurrecting an old thread - but I just got canceled on reddit/r/audiophile because I was questioning the cost and methods of bi-wiring speakers.

I said “it doesn’t matter if you use two wires or one going to a bi-amped powered speaker because the crossover/amp in the speaker cannot control the electrons in the speaker wire. Electrons fill the void and go everywhere, like air in a vacuum. You can use just one wire and connect to both sides of the crossover (for that matter, a crossover only needs one connection anyway).”

My post was deleted for not being in the spirit of the forum.

2 Likes

Reminds me of this thread

I think ppl here mostly think the same.

Jumper with wire if you got under $600 speakers i hear is the move.

Jumping with wire is the recommended move because supposedly the steel clasps are just cheap (probably silver-plated aluminum).

A couple of things. In the early 90s, I worked in one of the TOP audio stores in NY City called “Sound by Singer.” They were selling things I did not even know about, and I was truly a pro recording engineer in the 1980s in 24-tracks. They had actual DACs back when it was a brand new technology, and they were very pricey. But these days every computer has a DAC built-in. They are on chips that cost $1.

The biggest difference in audiophile sound comes from whether you have a solid-state or a tube amplifier. Tubes enhance even harmonics and sound much sweeter and warmer than solid-state. There are turntable and cartridge differences which I do not know a lot about.

Back in the “90s,” a “light-pipe” or other s/pdif on a good DAC amplifier would cost you an extra $2500, as I recall. Not so anymore. Your TV’s surround sound system has several of them. And cables, don’t get me started. There is NO reason to use two cables to bi-wire one speaker. Bi-amping, yes of course, but…

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for sharing your background in studio mastering, another sound guy on HIFI guides is MON . The jumper mod seems about right for material conductivity.

Someone should make a thread on mixing/mastering so we can get the recording side of hifi audio. Appears a trend is occuring that the hobby is looking more closely at the source material.

Ive learned so far by watching Mixing/mastering videos there is a whole otherside to analog/digital on the recording end. Starting to form an opinion the sound guy for hifi is more important than the artist. In fact good number of them play instruments and started out as band members. You could say the engineering part is an art form.