GNU/Linux players

What’s your setup like GNU/Linuxbros
Me, i’m using stock ncmpcpp

1 Like

I’ve had no issues running foobar2000 via a snap, updates are done regularly and it is very stable.

I use the old AF xmms1 99%+ of the time. For bitperfect and/or higher than CD quality I use Deadbeef.

Deadbeef also has a Waveform plug-in (like Zeos’s foobar), so you can “see” that your music isn’t “clipping”.

Also, I completely uninstalled pulseaudio. Way too many strange problems. Using alsa + apulse for firefox now.

I’m running off a flash stick now because dead SSD, so I haven’t reinstalled everything I’d normally like to use, including QMMP for music. Its GUI is similar to Winamp and it also has Last.fm scrobbling, so that makes it the best desktop player for me. :slight_smile:

While using this temporary Xubuntu install I’ve found that I can plop some music into VLC just fine for a quick listen, and also that I do this so rarely that I might not even bother instaling anything special again. The things I really care about I play from my phone anyway, when the computer noise is off. Other than that it’s just listening to samples to decide what to buy, and that’s all web players in the browser: Bandcamp, YouTube, Spotify Free, Google Play Music etc.

Foobar2000 is an excellent player. Used it when I was using Windows.
I’m a bit weary using it under wine. How’s the stability?

I use it as my main player, it’s running the entire time my machine is on and I have never had issues with it. As far as I can tell all the features that it has under Windows run fine in Linux.

I am running Debian 9.9 with Snap 2.39.3 and the latest foobar2000, uname output:
Linux debian 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u3 (2019-06-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux