🔶 GoldPlanar GL-AMT16

This is the official thread for the GoldPlanar GL-AMT16

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: In Ear
  • Amp needed: Yes

:red_circle: Linsoul Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

So I talked about the AMT-16 enough around FreshReviews for long enough that he couldn’t fight off the curiosity any longer and wound up getting a pair and they turned out to be his number one in ear pick for comp gaming. Anyone have any helpful impressions on these things? I’m far too broke to buy them right now, but they’re going to be stuck in my brain until I hear them lol.

Fresh’s review:

2 Likes

Pretty sure @comfylife has/had a pair of them

1 Like

Yeah his impressions and Fresh’s are about all I have to go on lol. Oh, and HBB’s video on them too, almost forgot about that is been so long.

I’ve had a lot of listening time with them and pretty much on the same page when it comes to gaming as the imaging and microdetail is pretty spectacular. I find that the kind of sound signature that the AMT-16 has lends itself to orchestral, field-recordings —that Yosi Horikawa-esque space of music he occupies.

Already thrown in my thoughts in other posts, but just to sum up my experience for anyone interested:

• They need power, but not as much as I thought, and it’s apparent that the IEM is more chain-dependent than power-dependent. It’s a leaner sound signature so it benefits being paired with something warm and dynamic. Pairs really well with the UTWS5 for some reason. Yes, if you picked up on the warm/dynamic point, they are actually the one IEM that I like with tubes.
  • You’re handicapping yourself by using anything but the 6.0/4.4 no mesh, which could be a dealbreaker for those with earwax issues. Going through the existing reviews from other people, there are some that I could tell just evaluated the stock nozzle, hence the “analog” & “soft” comments, it’s a night-and-day thing, imo. I just felt like the other nozzles didn’t do any favors and blunted the clarity due to the weird pinna = nasal sounding, YMMV. If the sound is too intense, source and tip rolling is the way to go.
  • While silicone might be a good choice for gaming if you want to hear EVERYTHING, it’s very intense in the upper-treble for music-listening with a metallic sheen to vocals. Foam-tips mitigate that issue and don’t compromise what’s good about the IEM.

I spent a few days just switching between this, a tribrid, multi-BA set, and single DD in roughly the same price-point. AMT-16 is the closest I’ve heard to matching an over-ear planar headphone experience for that sense of clarity and separation. I’d love to see how it stacks up to the LCDi4 and KSE1500, but those are also compromised in their own ways (open-back and energizer-tethered).

3 Likes

Just borrowed a set from a friend.
I would agree with the comments
6.0 4.4 is the only way to go.
That 2k Pina gain rise peak makes the AMT16 peaky and shouty.
The Stock cable is a horrible pairing
The MT16 needs the full power of my Topping A90D to get the best out of them they are power hungry.
FOAM Tips , man I never use foam tips but this seems to be the secret as well.

400 Level Mesh Filter on Nozzel did amazing things to the overall tuning.

I post my full review soon but what a lovely analog sounding and unique set.

2 Likes