šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Hybrid D pads, and so far Xduoo XD05 Plus, but will move on to the Dethonray Honey and Monolith THX Portable at some pointā€¦

1 Like

Also love how they look now too :smile:

Yeah they really like power. I think they recommend 2w @ 60ohm and I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

Dont have access to desktop set up at the momentā€¦ Zen Can (1.8 W), and good old 789ā€¦ I keep pulling back from going for the ifi DSD signature. Need to sell something firstā€¦ (Maybe a kidney?)ā€¦ In the meantime I keep telling myself the Zen Can should be enough

I also have the XD 05 plus didnā€™t realize it would have enough power for the GL2000s or the hemps to be honest?

Itā€™ll get them loud but power really helps bass clarity and helps tone down resonance quite a bit in the treble. Xd05 plus im guessing is around 500mw at 60ohm so about 1/4 of the power gold planar recommends and I think they should have more like 3-4w.

1 Like

Just tested GL2000 on MT-604 - itā€™s great!

1 Like

XD05 plus delivers 1Wā€¦ Still only halff of what is recommended by Gold Planar. definitely gets very loud!

1 Like

1w at 32 ohm though. The gl2000 is 60ohm.

1 Like
5 Likes

So how do these after mod compare to other headphones?

Opinions vary from worse than Sundara to on par with Arya
Edit: Called it

1 Like

They do it all except slam. They still have good bass that feels really big and fills the soundstage really well but it just doesnā€™t slam. It reminds me of being at a concert but not in the front row. The bass is very much there and envelops the space all around you very smoothly but isnā€™t hitting you in the chest like if youā€™re front row. Highs are great and more separated than any other headphone Iā€™ve ever heard and the problematic mids clear up really well after mods. These replaced my Aryas for that massive stage size and separation, which is why I loved the Aryas but bass on the Aryas wasnā€™t really any better either and was my only real complaint with them.

I just tried the mod, pretty cool that you can do that. Unfortunately it turns out that the pads are largely responsible for the weirdness in the mids and lower treble, so youā€™d need to swap out the pads to fix that. Iā€™m currently trying some ZMF pads, but maybe Iā€™ll do some measurements to see which work best. As for the subjective stuff, this does actually sound slightly better to me when it comes to detail. Not significantly, and I think itā€™s still a bit on the ā€˜clutteredā€™ side of things rather than truly incisive, but thereā€™s something here now. The one caveat is that as the original poster mentioned, it does seem to pronounce the upper treble to some degree, so yeahā€¦ pad rolling may yield interesting results on this one.

4 Likes

Did you remove the grill mesh and the driver paper? Iā€™ve had a couple people tell me they liked it more with the grill mesh in but the paper removed but I personally think it sounds clearest with them all out. Iā€™d love to hear what pads you settle on. I only have a handful of pads that fit so I havenā€™t tried all that much pad rolling. @ResolveReviews

Just the two papers, I may try the full mesh as well - not a fan of the way the grille looks anyway hahah.

1 Like

the paper glued to the driver is everything and is completely the reason the mids are wonky. the mesh on the grills is pretty minor compared to the driver paper removal though they do make a very noticeable difference to soundstage presentation.

I agree with this. Itā€™s an entirely different headphone for the better once the glued paper comes off the driver. The mod is a must to fully enjoy the GL2000.

I use Aliexpress 110/120mm Sheepskin Leather Pads and they sound excellent as well compared to the provided pads. It smoothes out the treble spike.

I did pad change to 120mm oversized lambskin and it does still have same sound signature so I donā€™t think pad rolling will do much for you. Ofc I already moded it with paper removal. Also this headphone is definitely a bit bright compared to my M1060C modded

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!